New hunting pack

ZackW

Hey all,
I’m looking at getting into a new pack for hunting deer & elk. I usually do 4-6 day backpack hunts. I was between the MR Metcalf, Outdoorsmans Optics, and the Kuiu Ultra 4000. They’re all similar in price & capacity. I’m a military man, who’s used to everything being waaay too heavy, so long as it’s durable and won’t fall apart on me (I am not gentle with my gear). Unfortunately, I live in Southern California and so trying on these three packs is out of the question. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the three and can make an accurate comparison, possibly list some areas where each pack would stand out. Thanks for any info.
-Zack

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200. I have used it for 3 years, packed out 2 elk, and used it for 2 pack ins with a bunch of gear. for me I like the following:

Quality/durability
weight
versatility ( I have the load hauler also that converts pack to a pack style frame)
can wear all days for several days and my back and shoulders never get tired
quiet
carrys gun well with gun attachment
I also have the day pack that fits inside the main pack that's really great for scouting or attaching to my load hauler for pack outs.
good rain cover that never get my stuff wet.

my 2 cents

I can’t speak to the others, but I’ve used a Metcalf for about seven years now. I’ve used it for extended backpack hunts as well as day hunts.

Comfort with heavy loads
Quality/durability
Load shelf for meat and gear

Dislikes

A little small for extended trips

I would buy one again, but I would also do my due diligence and look at other brands just to make sure. $500+ is a lot of money.

I've used an Icon Pro 7200 for the last 4 years. Hauled out 2 deer and like it. If I was going to haul a lot, i would look at the Metcalf.

Where in SoCal? I live in Temecula and have 2 Mystery Ranch Metcalf's. If it's something you're interested in we would meet somewhere and you could check them out.

I currently have the Outdoorsmans Optics, great pack, durable. Only problem is that is weighs a bit, if I had to re-do it, id try the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Either way you go, all three are pretty good packs

Wheaty17- I’m down in San Diego. I’ll be out of town until the 10th, but if I could meet up with you sometime that weekend, it would be awesome.
CampRipkeyLF- how does the suspension feel on the Outdoorsmans? I really like the idea of an exposed frame, which would be handy for strapping items onto.

I have a KUIU Icon (2013 model) and have packed out roughly 6 elk and 7 deer (couple animals a year) and had numerous pack trips. I have been pretty happy. Its light, versitle and comfortable. If you load it up heavy (100+ pounds, might not be where a military guy draws the line on heavy) thenyou need to be a littl ecareful not to put a lateral load on the frame since its carbon fiber. The frame has eveolved since 2013 and Kuiu has eliminated some none needed parts of the frame. One of those parts broke this year when I was packing rouhly 150lbs and I was taking the pack off. The pack still worked great, but I called Kuiu to ask about my options. They ended up replacing my whole system (frame, suspension and bags) free of charge because my stuff was outdated. Happy to answer any other questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back