Any viszla owners here?

Bigjay73

Well, the unthinkable happened recently, and I had to but my amazing pup down. French Brittany with the best damn nose you ever saw, and just a fantastic companion. Not ready for a new dog quite yet, still mourning her, but the fact remains that I'm a dog guy, and will always want one in my life. I've always been interested in Viszlas. Friend back home had one and it had the best temperament I've ever seen in a dog. Anyone have any breeders to take a look at? Hoping to find one within a 15 hr drive of Denver, but that's negotiable. Thanks in advance

I can’t help you with breeders, but I’m sure sorry to hear about your dog. Good luck in your search.

The best combination of family dog and pointer I have ever had was a viszla. She was also the smartest dog I have had. It took three different latches on our gate to keep her in the back yard, even though she never left the front yard when she would get out. She just enjoyed watching the neighbors drive by. One concern you will have is that epilepsy is an issue with the breed. My dog had her first seizure when she was three and there is no way of telling when you get your pup. The best thing you can do is talk to several owners of older dogs from a breeder as the issue usually shows itself in a dog between the ages of one and five years old. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but I would do my homework with regards to breeder as watching your dog have a seizure with your young daughter by your side is not a fun experience.

The best combination of family dog and pointer I have ever had was a viszla. She was also the smartest dog I have had. It took three different latches on our gate to keep her in the back yard, even though she never left the front yard when she would get out. She just enjoyed watching the neighbors drive by. One concern you will have is that epilepsy is an issue with the breed. My dog had her first seizure when she was three and there is no way of telling when you get your pup. The best thing you can do is talk to several owners of older dogs from a breeder as the issue usually shows itself in a dog between the ages of one and five years old. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but I would do my homework with regards to breeder as watching your dog have a seizure with your young daughter by your side is not a fun experience.

Thank you for the heads up. Definitely something to consider.

Losing a hunting partner plain sucks. Having lost family members and close friends, I can say it is every bit as painful - if not even a more personal loss. Those of us who choose life with bird dogs will undeniably suffer through it repeatedly - best and worst things ever, combined. A bunch of us feel and honor your loss - I do.........

I've been active w Vizsla rescue in CO for 15 years. One of my adopted rescues was a fine hunter. They have all had wonderful personalities, all very close to their human families. Athletic, sensitive, smart, affectionate. I would not recommend a rescue dog (except possibly a very young pup) if you are wanting a hunter, because dogs may come into rescue if they are gunshy or otherwise fail as hunting candidates. Vs need a lot of exercise so they don't get bored and destructive. Because they are so bonded and social, many will struggle w being alone all day. Beware of the puppy mills in KS, MO, SD and NE that abuse Vs to crank out maximum # of pups. Fred, our hunting V, was brought down by nasal cancer @ age 10. Bella, our current girl, is slowing down and losing hip strength @ age 13. Between them you will find the average life span for the breed. I have hunted w GSPs and labs, much prefer Vs as a breed. Anyone interested in rescuing a V in the CO region, feel free to PM me for more info.

Last edited:
Losing a hunting partner plain sucks. Having lost family members and close friends, I can say it is every bit as painful - if not even a more personal loss. Those of us who choose life with bird dogs will undeniably suffer through it repeatedly - best and worst things ever, combined. A bunch of us feel and honor your loss - I do.........
Couldn't agree more. That bond from all the hours driven and miles walked together is almost indescribable. I truly feel like I lost a human best friend.

I've been active w Vizsla rescue in CO for 15 years. One of my adopted rescues was a fine hunter. They have all had wonderful personalities, all very close to their human families. Athletic, sensitive, smart, affectionate. I would not recommend a rescue dog (except possibly a very young pup) if you are wanting a hunter, because dogs may come into rescue if they are gunshy or otherwise fail as hunting candidates. Vs need a lot of exercise so they don't get bored and destructive. Because they are so bonded and social, many will struggle w being alone all day. Beware of the puppy mills in KS, MO, SD and NE that abuse Vs to crank out maximum # of pups. Fred, our hunting V, was brought down by nasal cancer @ age 10. Bella, our current girl, is slowing down and losing hip strength @ age 13. Between them you will find the average life span for the breed. I have hunted w GSPs and labs, much prefer Vs as a breed. Anyone interested in rescuing a V in the CO region, feel free to PM me for more info.

That's great that you do that. I do want a hunting dog, so it would have to be a pup. How do they do in pairs if I got a pup, and an older rescue down the road?

That's great that you do that. I do want a hunting dog, so it would have to be a pup. How do they do in pairs if I got a pup, and an older rescue down the road?

Wonderfully, they still relate to their people and don't become their own pack.
100_0600.jpg
PB160135.jpg

Attachments

• camping 7 07 GR MESA.jpg
    camping 7 07 GR MESA.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have a GSP but my good buddy in CO has a Viszla and it’s an awesome dog. He got it here before moving out there so can’t help on breeder but definitely great dogs.

Sorry about your loss mate.

I planned on getting a vizsla or a WHP but after seeing both several times ended up with a GSP. In australia and NZ where we use dogs for backcountry deer hunting vizsla's are generally considered good dogs but run out of steam. Generalisation only and I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions, beautiful dogs to boot!

Back