Caribou Gear

Barrel Length/Powder Selection

OhHeyThereBen

Hey guys,

The barrel of my new rifle is 26" and the barrels used in the Hornady book for testing loads is 24". I know it's probably not a huge deal, but I was wondering if a guy should focus on slightly slower burning powders knowing this? Or have you found that it's not enough of a difference to consider anything but the go-to powders for the caliber?

I'm looking specifically at 6.5 MB.

Thanks!

Barrels can be very individual, what works great in one may not be the best for another even if they're the same length. I wouldn't look for slower burning due to length, but focusing on what a given caliber seems to like will hopefully shorten your load development process. Two powders I'd suggest for the 6.5 Creedmoor are H4350 and Reloder 16. Certainly not the only two out there, but I've had good luck with them. Good luck!
LoadDevelope.jpg

In my experience, the use of slower powders can help boost velocity when using heavy for caliber bullets. In the Creed more, that's the 147gr.- 155gr. bullets.
Though a longer barrel will give that powder a better chance to completely burn and would be mostly wasted in a very short barrel of 20" or less.
You will need the proper twist rate for those heavy bullets to get good accuracy.
Some have had good loads in a long barrel Creed more using powders as slow as Reloader 26.

In my experience, the use of slower powders can help boost velocity when using heavy for caliber bullets. In the Creed more, that's the 147gr.- 155gr. bullets.
Though a longer barrel will give that powder a better chance to completely burn and would be mostly wasted in a very short barrel of 20" or less.
You will need the proper twist rate for those heavy bullets to get good accuracy.
Some have had good loads in a long barrel Creed more using powders as slow as Reloader 26.

Thanks for the input everyone. I saw RL 26 used on Youtube on Johnny's Reloading Bench. Seemed to really whip em out there.

I think I'll probably just end up starting with H4350 because that seems to be what my '06 likes as well and go from there.

If you have, or can get RL16 I would start with that.

If you have, or can get RL16 I would start with that.

I think I'll have to give both a try. Thanks for the suggestion JLS. I've heard good things there as well. There will be a lot of pissing around going on with this gun so I'm excited to try all the different options.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back