11 Points in WY

My two cents...

If harvesting any bull will leave you satisfied, just pick a unit that has the kind of terrain you like to hunt and let that dictate your unit choice (even general, gasp). Maximum date and weapon flexibility. If you need a 320"+ bull to make it all worthwhile, hire a guide for a higher tier unit. Very few people, residents included, will have the unit knowledge that turns an 11 point NR unit into something to write home about, 'cause they'll only hunt it once in a blue moon--except Topgun, he knows everything :) . To me you have to figure out what a successful trip means to you, and go from there...a good adventure, doing it all yourself, prairie sunsets, gnarly peaks, any bull, any 6x6, a giant 6x6, etc...

This is just one way to go about it obviously, but it's a perspective you might consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents...

If harvesting any bull will leave you satisfied, just pick a unit that has the kind of terrain you like to hunt and let that dictate your unit choice (even general, gasp). Maximum date and weapon flexibility. If you need a 320"+ bull to make it all worthwhile, hire a guide for a higher tier unit. Very few people, residents included, will have the unit knowledge that turns an 11 point NR unit into something to write home about, 'cause they'll only hunt it once in a blue moon--except Topgun, he knows everything :) . To me you have to figure out what a successful trip means to you, and go from there...a good adventure, doing it all yourself, prairie sunsets, gnarly peaks, any bull, any 6x6, a giant 6x6, etc...

This is just one way to go about it obviously, but it's a perspective you might consider.
I have 13 points and would appreciate your opinion but only by PM. I’ve scouted a little in 3 real good units and have considered a few others but don’t know jack about them. I want a chance at great big bull and a archery plus rifle option with enough public to go around. Don’t make me ask top gun.

Thank you for the responses, suppose I should reconsider...understood that it was a long shot. Do the tags automatically go to the individuals who have the most points, or is it more along the lines of their names go in the hat more than mine would?

Last edited:
I have 13 points and would appreciate your opinion but only by PM. I’ve scouted a little in 3 real good units and have considered a few others but don’t know jack about them. I want a chance at great big bull and a archery plus rifle option with enough public to go around. Don’t make me ask top gun.

Have pack goats and will travel :) I have 1 pt for a cow tag....
Matt

Thank you for the responses, suppose I should reconsider...understood that it was a long shot. Do the tags automatically go to the individuals who have the most points, or is it more along the lines of their names go in the hat more than mine would?

75% of tags go to highest point holders, 25% are random draw. The problem is 22 doesn't have enough tags for a random draw tag (unless it changes this year). So all the tags for 22 will be preference points holders.

if you can deal with some big furry critters in the area, draw a 53 or 54 type nine and go hunt. might take a couple more points to draw a type one in those units
I'd agree with this and add to go for the 54 tag as that area is easier to hunt and better chances at times

Unit 7 type 1 tag. Hunt in September and if you strike out you can hunt from Oct 15 till Nov 20th with a rifle. check our tunnel road/ Laramie peak area. Big bulls come off there. I am a member of a big partnership ranch and ride horse and have cow elk hunted there. Wish I had 11 points to hunt there!

Back