Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado - 5-year Big Game Season Structure

Guys I just took the survey and it took 10 minutes out of my day. The link is above in Marksjeep’s post. I encourage everybody who hunts in Colorado to take the time to fill out the survey and make sure CPW gets your comments.

Pigs will fly unmolten snowballs through hell before CPW seriously considers capping elk tags. Nice that they ask how I feel about it though.

Thanks for posting this but I fear the sportsmens opinions will fall on deaf ears.

question #16 should stump a lot of folks here.......................

Haha. Yea I bet they get some good comments about that one.

Is there lots of complaining going on about muzzy season running in the middle of archery season? Must be at least some of that since they asked a few of those questions. And maybe I missed it, but is there a date set when they'll publish the new season structure?

Flat rock, there is no shortage of bitching about the way the archery/ ML season is setup here is Colorado. I wouldn't mind seeing it split up.

Flat rock, there is no shortage of bitching about the way the archery/ ML season is setup here is Colorado. I wouldn't mind seeing it split up.

I've hunted rifle/archery/muzzy, would love to see archery moved up a week last week august to 3rd week sept, first rifle dropped and muzzy put in it's slot... so no elk hunting Sept 22- Oct 12.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've hunted rifle/archery/muzzy, would love to see archery moved up a week last week august to 3rd week sept, first rifle dropped and muzzy put in it's slot... so now elk hunting Sept 22- Oct 12.

I think a lot of the archery only folks are concerned with losing the number of weekends currently provided. If the number of weekends remains the same, then there doesn't seem to be an issue with splitting the seasons. Now, who gets the prime 3rd week?

Zach, my opinion is that the archery season (and thus all the other seasons, potentially) need to move later, not earlier. I killed a bull during the 3rd weekend in 2018 and it was 60+ degF at 10,000' elevation. Obviously, moving the season one week later would not have changed that situation, but I think if the warming trends continue, the concern about getting unspoiled meat off the mountain dictates moving the seasons later.

Who: Colorado Parks and Wildlife, CPW Commissioner Marie Haskett
What: Five-Year Big Game Season Structure meeting
When: 6 p.m., Jan. 7, 2019
Where: Mountain Valley Bank, 400 Main Street, Meeker

-------------------------------------------------

Anyone know the next denver area meeting?

Zach, my opinion is that the archery season (and thus all the other seasons, potentially) need to move later, not earlier. I killed a bull during the 3rd weekend in 2018 and it was 60+ degF at 10,000' elevation. Obviously, moving the season one week later would not have changed that situation, but I think if the warming trends continue, the concern about getting unspoiled meat off the mountain dictates moving the seasons later.

You raise a fair point about meat care, although I feel like the people who have issues with spoilage at 60-80 degrees would have the same issue at <55 degrees. Honestly, I'm more worried about improving the pump rather than the well in CO so I would like to see more unpressured time for elk during the peak rut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back