Any Weatherby fans here?

Riflerich

I know there are some Howa fans! If I remember correctly Howa used to make the vanguard for weatherby, not sure if they still do. Mark V fan here. Yes I know they're generally heavy compared to what a lot of people want to carry these days, but I'm sure a few of you, like me, would carry one anyway. Of course they've had some lightweight models make the scene these past years and in standard calibers. But IMO if you're going to shoot a Mark V, a wby cartridge it is.

I’ve had one Mark V. It wouldn’t shoot as I liked, so I moved on to a Remington 700 with a PacNor barrel. It’s chambered in 257 Weatherby. I’ve own a handful of the Vangaurds as well 243,257wby, 300 Win. Still come back to the 257 as my go to hunting rifle.

Big fan of their aesthetics...beautiful lines, well engineered action. Have owned a 300 Wby Mag MK V Synthetic and 257 Wby Mag Accumark before I began hand loading...both finicky with expensive factory ammo. Long gone both.

...wouldn't mind snagging a MK V base model wood/blue to load develop, scope, and tinker with in 270 Wby Mag. Classic form and function IMO.

Just waiting till I can get my hands on one that says" Made in Wyoming".

Thinking about a 270 wby myself that I don't "need". I only had one(out of 4) that didn't shoot as well as I thought it should. Looking back I should have had it bedded or tried a few things before I sold it. Was a 7 Rem mag in a mark V. Do wish I had that one back.

I have a 257 Weatherby Vanguard. I have had a few modifications made (Timney trigger, different stock, etc.) and it is my favorite gun. Its is crazy accurate and a DRT type round.

Another huge Vanguard fan. Bought one chambered in a 7mm Rem. Mag. in college and have had it for 30 years. It is accurate, reliable and has efficiently taken everything from coyotes to moose. I will have it until I am in the grave. The only gun I use and need!

I have a 300 weatherby light weight with a muzzle brake I would sell since I haven't shot it in 10 years. To many guns.

Just waiting till I can get my hands on one that says" Made in Wyoming".

wytex, is this still suppose to happen in 2019 ?

Riflerich, we were always a mauser and Win pre 64 action fans --but

Sometime in the late 1960's my husband purchased a 340 and I bought a 270. Later we bought our son a 257. More recently I bought a Camilla 7mm-08 for my granddaughter and my daughter bought a Camilla 6.5 Creedmore. They--- son, daughter, granddaughter still have all of them.

Just picked up a Vanguard S2 in .257 Wby Mag at Sportsmans with their gun clearances, waiting on a set of Talley LWs to get delivered, picked up a Vortex Dback Tactical 3-9 to top it with. 1st Wby and 1st Vortex (scope anyway), hopefully they're both satisfactory. Gonna take up handloading to load for this and the pair of 7mm HTs my gf and I have too

Europe, the 340 was my first one also bought back in the 90s. Unfortunately it has never taken any game.

I hope that you will be able to use it on a hunt soon. My husband loved that rifle. After he got it the 338 Win and 35 Whelen never saw the light of day again. He used the 250 gr Swift A Frame when hand loading and the 250 gr Nosler when purchasing ammo from Weatherby ( from memory it was partitions ). He especially liked it when hunting in Alaska and Africa. He was always upset that he was not able to use it for dangerous game, as the minimum was 375 H &H or 9.3 x 74, or sometimes Joules, depending on the country, but I digress , old people do this, sorry

I hope you and your 340 down a nice Elk, Moose or Brown Bear very soon

If I may be allowed to brag a little about my granddaughter and her Camilla. She downed an Elk in Arizona and an Ibex and a Fallow in Spain with it this year. Guy, a friend of mine from a different forum will be along to rib me about mentioning this again lol Grandma's proud (-:

Great that you're family gets to hunt like that, nothing bad about boasting a little. The 340 has done one black bear hunt, 1 outfitted elk hunt and 2 DIY elk hunts back in the 90s in CO. cut brutally short by weather. So really only 2 hunts, but I'm hopeful I will christen it soon.

Yep, I’m a 257 shooter. It’s the most accurate gun I’ve ever owned and I’ll never get rid of it. It’s been my go to since I bought it. I’ve shot elk and deer and antelope, all 1 shot kills. I have so much confidence in shooting it I doubt I’ll stop carrying it. Unless my wife will let me get a 6.5-300 weatherby

I've never owned one, but I've been looking at the Mark V's recently. Seems like they've gotten so damn expensive! I did see a used 270 Mark V recently for $550, seemed like a good deal.

I just can't make myself like them. Hat's off to Roy for pushing the limits though. The pioneer of speed. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back