How far can a buck go with a single-lung archery hit?....

crock239

...at least 1.9 miles....

Buddy of mine called yesterday had just arrowed a whitetail buck wanted some help with follow up. Thought the hit looked good but said buck just kind of walked off...my first thought was that's not good, not at all.

Picked up the trail 2.5 to 3 hrs after the shot. Fortunately we had a light dusting of snow, and the blood trail was not heavy but fairly easy to follow drip by drip.

We did find a spot where the buck had bedded....then a half mile further another. At which point we are very much considering if we shouldn't just back off overnight since it seemed unlikely precip in the forecast but we couldn't be sure and by that time we're 4-5 hrs after the shot anyway and still have consistent blood....press on.

Without too much detail it took some serious tracking at a couple points but we did finally find the buck and recover after what Google Earth later estimated at 1.9 miles.

Shot placement was perfectly just behind shoulder 1/3 up, but the exit was dead center bottom of brisket. The buck had apparently downhill from the tree stand, and it seems with the steep downward angle the shot should have been a few inches higher, but it also seems perhaps the arrow deflected a bit on a near side rib at entry. Fixed blade broadhead.

Necropsy showed single lung cut and heart barely nicked.

Lessons learned/reinforced:
-shoot with sight picture for exit behind far side shoulder and have to take angle into account
- even what appears a good hit can turn into a long trailing job as arrows sometimes do funny things on impact....more waiting time is probably better when in doubt and if weather allows
- consider precipitation in archery hunt planning taking into account blood trailing and how it will impact decisions

All in all fairly certain the longest blood trail I've ever been on and glad it ended with a good recovery.

Good work. Single lung hits can be a real bitch.

Great tracking job! You guys earned yourself that buck and a few adult beverages afterwards.

Had a similar instance a few years ago. I shot a buck and got a single lung hit. Unbeknownst to me at that moment, some other guy had also arrowed the buck minutes before with a shot straight up the backside. That buck still went 2/3rds of a mile and crossed a cove.

Those lessons learned are definitely important. One time I shot a WT doe that was quartering away a bit more than optimum so the exit wound was right behind the opposite shoulder. My neighbor came over as I was hanging it and thought the exit was the entrance.

When I read the title to your thread my first response was, "anywhere from a few yards to a hell of a long ways"; your buddy's deer fell into the latter category.

Glad you were able to find the deer, good job on the retrieve.

ClearCreek

If he hadn’t nicked the heart he may even have survived.

In PA one time my uncle shot a 6 point buck on opening day of rifle. The buck was laying tight in some brush and I imagine not moving very fast, however he was still alive. I helped dress the buck and there was fletchings and part of an arrow shaft in one lung that was completely surrounded by puss and useless. In the area at the time archery season ended two weeks before the buck was shot. Looks like it was shot at an extreme angle and went in the back and half the arrow broke off after coming out the belly.

I shot a nice 8-point whitetail a few years ago that I thought was a slam dunk. 35 yards, quartering away, perfect looking heart shot tight to the shoulder. That deer went about 1/2 mile or so, blood was never too much, and even found this chunk of lung airway along the way. The bottle cap is there for size reference. I was surprised the small amount of blood. I guarantee that lung is useless.

IMG_20161107_110132910.jpg

Blood disappeared, and I grid searched, and I never found that buck or saw him again. Looking back, I should have went to the lake and walked the shoreline.

Back