My 2018 NV Bear

Antcap

This year I was one of only fourteen successful NV bear hunters and I ended up finally taking my bear on November 8th after 17 days in the field. I'm proud to say that I successfully took my bear DIY, solo and spot & stalk. Those of you that know me, know that I've had a lot of medical issues through the years and this was my first time in the field since my last tag in 2013. Nevada bear hunting is no joke and if you're lucky enough to draw this tag, do yourself a favor and hire a guide. If not, don't apply for NV bear unless you live in the immediate area. I ended up taking her in unit 194 west of Carson City.
IMG_20181108_100253102_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181108_121926689.jpg
IMG_20181108_100503586.jpg

Happy for your success. Congrats.

Interesting to read how "hair on fire" some of the folks in the area are about a bear hunt, but want NDOW to come and get the bears our of their yards.

Congratulations! You earned that one.

Why are bears so rare in Nevada? I would have thought there would be 10 or 50 times that number killed each year.

Antcap-congrats!! We must have just missed each other checking in bears. I was #13 and killed mid morning on the same day, same unit...within sight of Cabelas. Hard to believe quota was not met again this year, 14 out of 55!

BrentD, there are a ton of bears in parts of NV. You don’t get to hunt them in the Tahoe Basin though, which is where their numbers are really high. NDOW kills a ton of problem bears every year, I guess that is ok with the anti crowd. The NV record book is littered with NDOW killed bears too.

Good job, looks like a pretty bear. Someday I'll draw that tag, this year maybe?

Thank you everyone!

Labman, I was told that you ended up taking a nice bear that same day. Small world! I spent a ton of time up Garson and only seen one really small bear while scouting before the season up there. Tons of sign, but I just couldn't catch a break. I had some of the best Intel from fellow bear hunters, but I still couldn't seal the deal. It wasn't until the late deer hunters started pointing me in the right direction, and were kind enough to send me screenshots of their OnX maps. I'm not one to usually beg for help, but this hunt meant the world to me. Thank you to everyone for all of your help, and if anyone needs pointers, don't hesitate to reach out to me. NV bear hunting is incredibly frustrating but yet Soo satisfying once accomplished. Hunters helping each other in time of need is what's it's all about.

Heck ya it is a small world! I was actually packing up to leave and ran into some guys who talked to deer hunters that had seen a really good bear glassing for deer. They gave me some ideas and instead of heading out of town we got a hotel room and I was out the next am giving it one last ditch effort. Spotted him a mile away 30 min after sunrise and somehow made it happen. To really get into the bears on this hunt dogs are a must. Obviously it can be done S and S, but we really lucked out!

Congrats again!

Back