Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming trophy units

Jayden12

I have 9 points this year for antelope in Wyoming and if I don't draw my elk unit this will be the year I hunt hard for a good antelope.If you had 9 points what units would you be looking at?I've been looking at 68,64.Reality is,I haven't spent much time researching best antelope units and just buy points each year.I don't have a problem paying the special draw fees to increase my odds at a premium unit.This will be my backup plan this year if I don't draw elk in Wyoming or NM.Think I'm at the point where I can spend a week looking over some antelope and not feeling rushed by hunting pressure

Any unit that will take that many PPs to draw should be a good one IF the weather has been decent. If you go into the Special Draw your chances of drawing one of the top units should normally be better. It also doesn't take one of the top few units to find a really good buck. Also, if you have a week to look over a lot of bucks and know how to judge them my guess is that you should be able to get one that will break 80" in a good horn growing year.

Last edited:
1. Throw a dart at a Wyoming map

2. If the dart hits a unit toward the center of the state and land ownership is mostly colored yellow, apply there.

3. If land ownership is mostly colored green or white, throw again.

68 was pretty dry last year, may be winter kill if there's bad weather late winter. Make a list of units that took 7-8 points last year, keep an eye out on the weather through the winter. Wait until late May & pick a unit that had good moisture & minimal winter kill.

If you really want to hunt then apply for a unit that had 100% draw with 8 or less points last year. Otherwise, may not draw due to point creep or tag cuts. Always a chance of winter kill or poor weather for horn growth though the application deadline is late enough to answer those concerns before apply for a tag.

Quality of bucks will vary year to year depending upon the winter weather and how much rain the unit receives the remainder of the year. As a previous poster mentioned, any unit that takes that many points will be provide you with an awesome hunt. I drew 68 this year and had an amazing hunt. Saw at least 80 mature bucks a day. Spend a few days glassing up bucks and then shoot the one that floats your boat.

My 72 yr old dad and I hunted 61 in 2012 and saw a ton of average to good bucks - there were PLENTY to choose from. However, the biggest buck we saw was on a private square. We each took a buck early in the hunt, I definitely should have been more patient with mine.. but I was rushing in order to help him get one, which he did, and a bigger one than mine! Glad it worked out that way as it turned out to be our last-ever hunt together :(:(.

There are much much bigger bucks out there than the ones we got, no doubt, and I would not hesitate to hunt it again and again if I could and if the herd was in similar shape to a few years ago - but don't expect a Booner behind every clump of sage. That said, we meandered through a good chunk of WY on the way out and saw tons of antelope all over (not sure which units, but basically all of them) and remember thinking that you do NOT need to hold out for any particular #1 unit in order to nab a great buck in WY.
dadbuck.jpg

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward 68,but 61 is on my radar as well

My wife has 12 points and we have considered 61 as well. I've had a few conflicting reports (and read the report from years ago when Randy hunted it) but overall I think any of the zones in that area in those couple counties can hold equal trophy quality for sure.

Looks like 61 isn't a sure thing with 9 points, 68 is. I hunted 106 in September & drove through 68 & 61. From the hwy I saw more in 68. I hunted the border of 68 & 106 & actually saw good numbers. There is a ton of antelope in that region of WY, but it does take time to find a booner. I believe that if you hunt 3-4 days in that region of the state you can find an 80+

Looks like 61 isn't a sure thing with 9 points, 68 is. I hunted 106 in September & drove through 68 & 61. From the hwy I saw more in 68. I hunted the border of 68 & 106 & actually saw good numbers. There is a ton of antelope in that region of WY, but it does take time to find a booner. I believe that if you hunt 3-4 days in that region of the state you can find an 80+

Unit 61 last year was only 66% chance with 9PPs in the Special Draw, so it's out unless you would get real lucky in the Random Draw.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back