It looks like there are "exotics" on public land in Texas.......

Arrow Guru

It looks like there are "exotics" on public land in Texas. Everything from blackbuck to Barbary rams. Has anyone here done any public land hunting in Texas for any of the exotic animals there. I'd like to go out and hunt for barbary sheep.

Are several draw hunts through the Texas application system that offer a chance to hunt various exotics either as a hunt just for exotics or a deer hunt that then allows for taking of certain exotics or pigs.

I drew a hunt on Devils River SNA about a decade ago. I think the Del Norte zone. Aoudad and Corsican goats were there and supposedly an elk or two got onto the property. Was asked to not shoot the elk. You can shoot as many Aoudad and Corsicans as find and want to shoot. You are assigned to a compartment so less chance of hunter conflict. Not everyone got animals. Some got quite a few.

Found the thread. https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...XO-Auodad-permit-drawn&highlight=devils+river

I put in for those public TX hunts every year. I have been since 2004. Ive drawn twice, one for deer an other for javelina.

Lots of good opportunities and not expensive. PM me if you need more info.

There are quite a few opportunities for free range exotics on public land here in Texas. Lake Amistad NRA has aoudad and muflon sheep in addition to native whitetail, hogs, and javalina. It is archery only but it is walk on with no drawing required.
One of my favorite exotic hunts here is for nilgai in deep south Texas. Laguna Atascosa NWR, and the two sites of Lower Rio Grand Valley NWR have draw hunts for nilgai. There are rifle hunts but it is much easier to get drawn for the archery hunts. Several other draw hunts on state land have aoudad, blackbuck, gemsbock, oryx, axis deer, fallow deer, sambar deer, and of course feral hog. One of the state WMAs even has warthogs running around that they would love to get rid of.

It says on that link that there are blackbuck and axis deer there at Amistad. I haven't hunted there in a few years and there weren't any when I did. I guess some got loose from some local ranches. They do tend to reproduce pretty quick down here.

I am shocked. For folks in Texas that sounds like one heck of an opportunity for those willing to work. Might even get some NR's to go hunt that public land in TX.

So if a guy wanted to he could hunt the Unlimited sheep areas of MT as well as hunt Aoudad in TX every year.

One of my favorite exotic hunts here is for nilgai in deep south Texas. Laguna Atascosa NWR, and the two sites of Lower Rio Grand Valley NWR have draw hunts for nilgai. There are rifle hunts but it is much easier to get drawn for the archery hunts. Several other draw hunts on state land have aoudad, blackbuck, gemsbock, oryx, axis deer, fallow deer, sambar deer, and of course feral hog. One of the state WMAs even has warthogs running around that they would love to get rid of.

Nilgai is high on my bucket list to hunt with a handgun. And with the cost of a guided hunt being ridiculous, this is definitely worth trying to draw for. Appreciate the insight.

Nilgai is high on my bucket list to hunt with a handgun. And with the cost of a guided hunt being ridiculous, this is definitely worth trying to draw for. Appreciate the insight.

Unfortunately, handguns aren't allowed for hunting on those NWRs that have nilgai. It's archery or centerfire rifle only. There are a bunch of spots where you can hunt hogs with a handgun though. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Unfortunately, handguns aren't allowed for hunting on those NWRs that have nilgai. It's archery or centerfire rifle only. There are a bunch of spots where you can hunt hogs with a handgun though. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Well poo.

They are primarily drawn hunts with pretty bad odds. There are a few with decent odds. There are also two walk-in areas for archery hunters. The big difference is that you won’t be hunting massive amounts of property. One walk-in is 400acres, and the other is not terribly large. The drawn hunts would be great if you could ever draw. We haven’t been drawn for anything but javelina.

If you’re out of state, I wouldn’t pay for the out of state hunting license and APH just for the walk-in exotics. If you’re already going to purchase the hunting license for some other reason, then it’s not too much extra to get the APH. If you’re in-state, then by all means give it a whirl. The APH gets you access to a lot of bird hunting and some deer hunting as well, especially if you’re a bow hunter or going to East Texas. Its NOTHING like hunting public lands in Western states, but it is hunting opportunity.

Last edited:
They are primarily drawn hunts with pretty bad odds. There are a few with decent odds. There are also two walk-in areas for archery hunters. The big difference is that you won’t be hunting massive amounts of property. One walk-in is 400acres, and the other is not terribly large. The drawn hunts would be great if you could ever draw. We haven’t been drawn for anything but javelina.

If you’re out of state, I wouldn’t pay for the out of state hunting license and APH just for the walk-in exotics. If you’re already going to purchase the hunting license for some other reason, then it’s not too much extra to get the APH. If you’re in-state, then by all means give it a whirl. The APH gets you access to a lot of bird hunting and some deer hunting as well, especially if you’re a bow hunter or going to East Texas. Its NOTHING like hunting public lands in Western states, but it is hunting opportunity.

The APH (annual public hunting permit) isn't required for most federal lands including Lake Amistad. Only if they are designated by the state as a WMA do you need one. Sam Houston National Forest is an example of federal land that is designated a WMA.

I looked a little closer and not all specify rifle only. Makes me wonder if some of the draws could be 'any legal means'?

Here's a link to the catalog page for National Wildlife Refuge Exotic drawings. Those are the nilgai hunts. Look at line in each under "Only Means Allowed".
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-category-details.phtml?OCat=NEX

Here is the link to the National Refuge General Deer. You can go after nilgai on those hunts. Again, look under "Only Means Allowed".
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-category-details.phtml?OCat=NGE

Those are the only public lands in Texas that you can chase nilgai that I'm aware of.

I agree that it would be cool to go after nilgai with a handgun, but it looks like you would have to do it on private land.

Hey guys - dont forget that Texas has an awesome no cost program for disabled vets to get their hunting license! Just have your VA ID card and award letter with you when you purchase it (cant be done online sadly).

-Brian

I drew an archery deer hunt last fall at Kickapoo Caverns SP with the intention of hunting exotics. There were many axis deer, feral sheep goats and hogs, Aoudad, as well as a couple nilgai. Fallow sheds had been found but no fallow deer were ever seen.

It was a tough hunt. I ended up killing an Aoudad. Wasn’t the biggest, but he was on public land with no high fence. As far as I know I believe other than my Aoudad, the only things killed were 1 hog and 1 guy lost a whitetail doe. No baiting was allowed.

It can be challenging because you may draw a compartment with nothing or you might draw one with everything. I drew a good one. I’ll also say don’t believe the success rates TPWD posts. It was 11% the year before I went which equated to 1 hunter successful. While there I passed whitetail everyday as did several other hunters. There were also several hunters that passed exotics.

824A2C2C-A77F-429B-8865-10602D89EEF2.jpg

Agree with TWT about the success ratios. I drew for WT doe and exotic a few years ago. Most of the other hunters held out strictly for Axis. I shot one Axis buck and 3 WT does. Was a fun trip. I was the only tent in the State Park as everyone else that drew stayed in town about 6-8 miles away. This hunt was assigned blind, some are assigned compartments. The blinds do not have feeders contrary to some areas. Application is cheap and you don't have to buy a license before applying.

Are several draw hunts through the Texas application system that offer a chance to hunt various exotics either as a hunt just for exotics or a deer hunt that then allows for taking of certain exotics or pigs.

I drew a hunt on Devils River SNA about a decade ago. I think the Del Norte zone. Aoudad and Corsican goats were there and supposedly an elk or two got onto the property. Was asked to not shoot the elk. You can shoot as many Aoudad and Corsicans as find and want to shoot. You are assigned to a compartment so less chance of hunter conflict. Not everyone got animals. Some got quite a few.

Found the thread. https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?254345-Devils-River-SNA-EXO-Auodad-permit-drawn&highlight=de

There are quite a few opportunities for free range exotics on public land here in Texas. Lake Amistad NRA has aoudad and muflon sheep in addition to native whitetail, hogs, and javalina. It is archery only but it is walk on with no drawing required.
Where do you go to submit for a public land draw? I am new to hunting in general. Shot a Nilgai on a guided hunt (which was a wild hunt lol) and im hooked. Hunted white tail this year with no luck but do not want to wait until next season to get back out. I saw some public land out west with exotics but reading online makes me feel like I need special draw tags for them. How do I go about doing that? Thank you!

Where do you go to submit for a public land draw?
Texas Parks and Wildlife website. You can sign up to receive notices. The application process opens in July. You’ll need a Texas hunting license and the separate annual public hunt permit if you get drawn.

There are specific exotic hunts, and also on some of the deer hunts you’re also allowed to shoot exotics, javelinas, hogs etc if you see them. I was drawn for a deer hunt at Enchanted Rock and they told us to shoot any aoudad on sight because they consider them an invasive species and want to get rid of them.

Back