thread about Win 71s ??

two dot

I ask both the administrator and the moderator where it went ? I did not see any "conflict", poor language, or even any disagreement among the posters --so I was also curious, put maybe I did something wrong, but if so it was inadvertently and I apologize. I will bow out now until I find out why it has disappeared or what I did wrong. I was told being female should not be a problem on this forum as it is on others. But in the large scope of things it is not that important. I wish all a happy new years and I will back out for now.

Seems like other threads get banned for less. Usually locked but not removed. Weird. mtmuley

Europe, please don't take all your experience and untold as yet stories about hunting in places and in an era that can't be repeated by us today. Enjoyed hearing the brief description of your travels and of the young lady "up north" who is still making meat with a forgotten by most rifle and caliber.

I thought I should let those who had posted on the original thread know that I received a response to my pm asking for an explanation on why it disappeared. I was told that the thread was NOT flagged for moderation and that nobody knows what happened to it. I could restart it if I wanted to do so, but I believe those who had an interest in the original thread have already commented on it, so I will not. I do want to thank those who did take the time to respond to the original thread. Thank you

Thanks for the update. Curious things happen with electrons sometimes.

You should start another. You seem to have interesting experiences.

Brent, Noharleyyet, twodot

thank you gentlemen, but the purpose of the original thread was about the young lady in Canada, not myself. In todays age of bigger, faster, further, scopes, etc, I thought it was refreshing ( at least to this old woman ) that someone who literally "hunts to eat" choose a rifle that isn't scoped, is a 200 yard rifle, not a 500 yard rifle, and shoots things like Polar bears, Muskox, Walrus, Buffalo, Grizzly, Goat, Sheep, Caribou. When I was her age I was looking for an Elk or Deer albeit I was also using old calibers at that time--30-30 and 30-06. I do hope the information I shared about the 450/400, 404 Jeff and 450/400 BPE was read before the thread was deleted . If not let me just say that 450/400 BPE is pretty cool and I am glad you still deer hunt with it

Your friend is a pragmatic hunter and knows that shooting beyond 200 yds is a pretty rare thing and even more rarely necessary. She also knows scopes are overrated and besides, they are clunky.

I still use old calibers (.30-30 and .30-06 are "modern" in my books) and usually only iron sights. Tonight, I will use a flintlock.

I've never shot a 450/400 but did you ever load and shoot yours with blackpowder? I had a .577/450 that I bought for Africa but never got it to shoot well enough so I settled for my old .45-2.6". If I ever go back I would like to hunt buffalo with it. But it is unlikely that I would ever go. Just to expensive. I would, however, love to hear about your buffalo hunting.

BrentD, no sir, never used black powder, in the 450/400. My first Buffalo was with the 450/400 3" N.E. This was back at the time when Kynoch had just stopped making bullets, Woodleigh was not yet making them and Remington and Winchester were concentrating on the Win 458 and 375 H & H. The recoil was also uncomfortable for me, but regardless of all that it was still an exciting time. They decided I should first practice and did so on Eland, Gemsbok and Hippo ( on land ). The Cape turned out to be anti.climatic, as he went down with one shot at approx 30 paces.

Although as mentioned yesterday "Africa and the double" just go together in my head, however if I were going back today and wanted something more than my 375 H & H, I would buy a Ruger Number 1 in 450/400--if I could find one for sale as very few were manufactured. My second choice would be the 404 Jeffrey.

If you do go try to set aside some time for sightseeing and fishing . Tiger fishing is great and one of my favorite relaxing moments is setting on the veranda of the hotel at Victoria Falls when the animals come to the river to drink in the evenings, One of my least favorite times is waking up in the morning and finding fresh elephant tracks outside your tent. LOL

Last edited:
I thought I should let those who had posted on the original thread know that I received a response to my pm asking for an explanation on why it disappeared. I was told that the thread was NOT flagged for moderation and that nobody knows what happened to it. I could restart it if I wanted to do so, but I believe those who had an interest in the original thread have already commented on it, so I will not. I do want to thank those who did take the time to respond to the original thread. Thank you

Mrs. Fin and I have looked at the admin panel and we cannot find where it was deleted, but Mrs. Fin remembers seeing it, so obviously something strange happened. Apologies to Europe and those who were following/participating in the prior thread.

Europe, I agree, Africa is for doubles, especially English. I had one once, a percussion 18 bore (63 caliber more or less). Not really a dangerous game gun though. All my hunting is blackpowder so the .45 BPEs are the most interesting to me. Just don't care to spend the money they command.

Fishing is not something I associate with Affrica. However, when I hunted Namibia, it was with a fish biologist and so we fished the Skeleton Coast after hunting. We were fishing for sharks come a but never caught them. We did catch plenty of other things for dinner. It was a pretty interesting experience to be sure.

We also did a little bit of stargazing to. It's not really my hobby but we ran into some Austrians that were quite serious about it and it was interesting to spend some time learning about the sky from the other half of the planet.

Big Fin Thank you

Brent. My husband and I became good friends with a couple who lived in Sweden. Their daughters husband hunts lions in Africa with muzzleloaders. My husband had a couple and I played with them a bit years ago, but the bug never hit me and I have not shot one in years.

Namibia is my favorite country to hunt in Africa. Sounds like you had a great time, I hope you make it back and you take a .45 BPE with you. I am sure you know this but you can not take your favorite powder into Africa. you will have to buy it in the country you hunt.

Brent, did we move away from the Win 71 ---this is serious thread drift LOL

The 450 3 1/4" BPE is a hammer on whitetail. I've not had the chance to use it on anything else to date, but plan on extending my shooting this year with it at the 200 - 400 yard range. I'm using 110 grains of FFFg with a 350 grain Hornady round nose for a muzzle velocity of about 1650 FPS. She rings the 10" gong at 100 with calm ease. I've got her shooting about 2-3 inches at 100 yards, which is about what I'd expect from her.

Mortimer 450, next to a 1950's vintage Winchester m70:

450 BPE.jpg

Europe,
Like the most interesting rivers, good conversations tend to meander quite a bit. I certainly don't mind.

Loose blackpowder for a muzzleloader is an issue, but black in rifle cartridge rounds is no problem. I researched that quite thoroughly.

I was in Australia last year for a muzzleloader match and we had to arrange for caps and powder to be waiting for us over there.

Brent, sounds like a nice one if someone is looking for one. IMHO, if one likes a lever, the 348 is an excellent timber rifle all the way up to and including Grizzly hunts. . In fact, way back in the day, the 348 was a favorite in Alaska, but when everyone started using scopes and shooting at longer distances they quit using it.

Also I am always a bit leery of "200 rounds of loaded ammo" if I dont know who loaded them and how they were loaded. But for those that might not recognize the name Kodiak. Those are excellent loads/bullets.

If one wants a 348/71, but wants to scope it, then look for a Browning BLR. They are also nice rifles. no longer made new, but they show up often on the used rack.

However, it is my gut feeling that everybody here already knows everything I just said

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back