Default Enclosed vs. Utility

Currently own a utility trailer that I occasionally take on my hunts. Thinking of getting an enclosed one to keep most of my gear and take it on the long trips. Thoughts?

Less MPG pulling a enclosed trailer but being able to lock your stuff up out of sight and reach of bears while your hunting is priceless.

A trailer restricts the roads you can traverse in good weather and even more so if is rainy on dirt roads or ice/snow on any roads. If I was to take a trailer then would prefer enclosed so keep things dry. Locks only keep honest people out and bears can do a lot of damage to get into anything they smell food inside. My vote, enclosed but not for security but rather to keep things dry.

I vote enclosed also, been caught in more than one severe weather situation and keeping things dry and clean is indeed priceless.

I own both, and use my enclosed for hunting, and I actually insulated my trailer for camping in it, built beds and a counter for preparing food and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by 137buck View Post
    I own both, and use my enclosed for hunting, and I actually insulated my trailer for camping in it, built beds and a counter for preparing food and whatnot.
    This is a good plan. Locked storage @ home, toy hauler on the road, camper or cook shack on the hunt.
    A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. Aldo Leopold.

We have pulled a utility trailer several times and are planning on buying a enclosed soon. I think it will be way better. If anyone has any pics of how they installed beds or anything cool would be great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by elkduds View Post
    This is a good plan. Locked storage @ home, toy hauler on the road, camper or cook shack on the hunt.
    This is what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jvanhoy View Post
    We have pulled a utility trailer several times and are planning on buying a enclosed soon. I think it will be way better. If anyone has any pics of how they installed beds or anything cool would be great to see.
    When I get a chance, I'll take some pictures of how I have mine set up now. It's a work in process though, been buying all sorts of stuff for it, I'm going to run power inside it and power it with a generator, plus a window in the door and a few other things that I've come up with over the last couple of years.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by prhunter View Post
    Currently own a utility trailer that I occasionally take on my hunts. Thinking of getting an enclosed one to keep most of my gear and take it on the long trips. Thoughts?
    When I need to haul more than will easily fit in my Jeep, I use this little "Jackwagon Basecamp" enclosed trailer. They're made in Prescott Arizona. I picked mine up used. Watertight. Fairly light, only about 1,000 pounds. There's no axle, so ground clearance is nearly 18" and this one has trailer brakes. Something like this might suit your needs?

It's nice being able to have the gear locked up and dry.

Regards, Guy

I have a single axle 6' x 12' enclosed steel cargo trailer and we've used it on a couple of out of state hunting trips. It works great for keeping things dry and secure. A four wheeler fits through the rear cargo doors (width wise) after removing the windshield, but a side by side would be way too wide and big for this trailer. Even with a four wheeler in the back, we were able to get all the gear we wanted into it. I did insulate the trailer in the summer of 2017, but haven't used it for late season camping yet (it's one of my 2019 New Year's resolutions). I previously owned a tandem axle 7' x 16' enclosed aluminum trailer and felt it was too big for what I was trying to accomplish. If I could do anything differently, I'd get an aluminum trailer (instead of steel) and I'd also consider going to 5' wide and 14' long trailer if a four wheeler would fit width wise.
    Life's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

I like this idea. Would probably pull great with my Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Veteran Made?, Sweet trailer!
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Also, my enclosed trailer works a one stop shop for range time. It’s all set and all I have to do is pull it to the field, drop the ramp, put out the targets, and I am ready to go. Today it was a cold muddy mess outside but it sure was nice shooting out the back of clean, dry, and heated trailer.

15. Default

google up off road trailer , adventure trailer, expedition trailer. More ideas and ways to part with money then a trip to Cabelas....Seems the Aussies and South African's have a thing for them. Go figure.

Enclosed is the way to go, two axles if you can afford it.
    " You know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians. Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest!"

Quote Originally Posted by Addicting View Post
    Also, my enclosed trailer works a one stop shop for range time. It’s all set and all I have to do is pull it to the field, drop the ramp, put out the targets, and I am ready to go. Today it was a cold muddy mess outside but it sure was nice shooting out the back of clean, dry, and heated trailer.
    Never thought about that before. Very good idea!
    The day I stop hunting is the day I stop breathing.

You can't eat antlers!!!

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 88man View Post
    Enclosed is the way to go, two axles if you can afford it.
    I cannot agree more with the tandem axles, it will pull better, a little extra security if you have a blow out and you will not have to worry about going for a ride when you stand on the gate side without it hooked up.