Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Does pack color really matter?

My Kuiu pack is camo, my thought is simple if its gives me only a slight edge ill take it. It certainly doesn't hurt.

This guy obviously has it all screwed up....
RX_3349_2500x500.jpg
Camo shirt, solid pack - ranging his 357" bull, that will never know a hunter is even in the neighborhood, at 689 yards which he will shortly be dropping with one shot from his 6.5-284.
How did we all survive as outdoorsmen without the amazing range of choices that keep us perplexed today:D

“As it pertains to your backpack, it should be on your back and you should be facing your game. So is camo really”

I agree completely. I do wander though if solid colors are more detectable by animals when noticing movement through the woods or from a distance

I highly doubt the coyote tan pack is going to tip off the animals. If someone thinks a camo pack gives them an advantage, then by all means buy it.

This guy obviously has it all screwed up....
View attachment 92203
Camo shirt, solid pack - ranging his 357" bull, that will never know a hunter is even in the neighborhood, at 689 yards which he will shortly be dropping with one shot from his 6.5-284.
How did we all survive as outdoorsmen without the amazing range of choices that keep us perplexed today:D

One of the funniest things I’ve seen was an Instagram post where a guy “stocked (sic) to 710 yards” to kill his mule deer buck.

Think of what a better hunter the guy in your photo would be if he had a camo pack.

Ungulates see blue and UV hundreds of times better than humans. Like lit neon. While hunting I wish my skiing gaiters weren't blue.

Yep that is what I have studied too. I try to stay away from blue.

Oh and my Outdoorsmans pack is camo only because the camo version was made out of a quieter material than the multi cam, or solid colors. I am more interested in quite and durability.

Never a camo pack, camo gun or camo knives. Set those things down around sunset and they become the property of the mountain.

Never a camo pack, camo gun or camo knives. Set those things down around sunset and they become the property of the mountain.

I'll second this, when I used to work at sportsmans warehouse as a hobby job, I always tried talking people out of buying camo binoculars.

If I gave one thought to the color of my pack I can't imagine what other b.s. would flood my worried mind. Wouldn't be a lick of fun to go in the woods.

Appreciate all the comments. My pack is a solid color. For the record, I believe camo has some advantages in some situations. I have been bowhunting the midwest for 25 years and know that it helps when the deer are 7yrds from my tree. I posted the originally question from a tree stand as I mentally plan my first backpacking trip out west for muleys. I understand cover and concealment principles and playing the wind. One thing I didnt think about was sitting the pack down and trying to find it again. So thanks for that insight.

I'm in the solid pack crowd. Potentially better resale value, less conspicuous when traveling through airports/back of the truck/etc, less likely to attract attention on the trail when scouting in the summer, may be cheaper depending on the manufacturer ($45 difference on my pack). All pretty minor and if you want a camo pack go for it and don't think twice, but the previously mentioned are some of the considerations I used when investing in a top end pack (Kifaru) with solid and camo options.

Yep. Been there. If it's not in some really obvious place where I drop it I always take the time to save it on my GPS and usually tie some orange flagging in the brush above it.

The MR pack I ordered this year was originally supposed to be "coyote". They called me and said it was out of stock so they offer me "alpine fade" - that pixellated camo pattern in greens and browns. I went "sure, what you got, I guess". As far as camo on the pack, I don't really care. If I'm trying to stalk in close where camo really would make a difference, I've generally shed the pack anyway.

I've had enough trouble finding my Coyote Tan pack after I drop it and head off trail to do some paperwork... can't imagine what it would be like with a camo pack.

But seriously, about the only time I'd think it would be a bonus is during archery season, if you're the type to not drop your pack. It would be a big blob of solid once the hunter turned and drew their bow, especially at archery distance. Easily overcome by sliding your pack off...

Of course, I say that now, but next year if a bull pegs me because I didn't have time to slide my pack off I'll probably say it's worth the extra $40. Long story short, we've all got theories, but it's always an experiment on what works and what doesn't...

I both hunt and hike/backpack and use the same pack for both. When amongst the backpacking crowd I'd rather not advertise my love of hunting, so it's solid color for me. Preferably brown or a drab green. If I thought I needed it to be camo I would put on a camo rain cover.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back