PEAX Equipment

Does pack color really matter?

I was archery hunting with a friend and he was wearing all camo clothing (and backpack) except for his gaiters. His solid black gaiters made him stand out like a sore thumb when he was walking through the woods. When he was across a valley (1/2 mile or so) I couldn't see him until he started walking and then those black gaiters jumped out at me. I imagine a solid colored backpack would have a similar effect.

I am in the camp that style/color probably doesn't matter that much, but if it makes you more confident, then you will be more successful.

What matters is when flash UV which appears as BLUE to deer. Never wash anything that is an outer layer in any detergent that has "color enhancers or protecters" as that will make you look like Papa Smurf in the woods. I laugh at camp GPS, cam0 rangefinders, knives, etc. I need to find stuff when I am getting ready to move on from a glassing point. Make that stuff bright pink or orange or lime green.

My preferred hunting pack is an old, red Dana Designs Astralplane. Blood stains blend right in...

My 20+ year old Dana Design also has blood stains blending in.
Note the boots match the pack color...dana_designs.jpg

Blue is easily seen by ungulates (their retina cones have blue and green photoreceptors)
so blue jeans are a no-no.

There are obviously much more important skills necessary to being successful, and even much more important features in a pack than its color (weight distribution, accessibility, comfort, durability, etc...). However, if you are going to spend some coin on a nice pack, you might as well get the color you want. Myself, I prefer a solid color coyote brown and I think that's ok. If someone else likes a camo pattern, then that's cool too. It can be effective in some circumstances as Sytes' post shows.

Camo is probably more important in a tree stand at bow range, but I believe it was Fred Bear who said the best camo is to be still.

elkduds is correct no blue:cool: on you.Any true hunter knows Blue is Blaze orange to a Deer.

Left a new jacket on a log deer hunting.Went back 3 times to find it.NOT
Told hunters down the ridge if you find it and return It will buy you a new one.
He says ,if I find It I have a new one!DUH?:cool:

The greatest elk hunt I've ever had the privilege of being on 2 out of three of us had bright blue pack covers on, the other was blaze orange.. when the situation is right an elk or a deer wont care what you spent on camo. But in no way am I recommending a bright blue pack cover... it just happened to be what color wal mart had

Last edited:
I have plenty of quality camo clothing it does what I need it to do. But it would do the same in browns and greys and greens it just happened to come in realtree or mossy oak. Not much in the way of camo equipment. Most of my packs have some sort of camo pattern because thats what they came in. Im saving my pennies for a MR pack and I will probably go with foliage as thats what I like. I here lately find myself looking for clothing that does what I need it to do in earth tones rather than thinking camo is a must. Frankly I think there is more available in non camo these days designed for hunting than in the past.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back