Does pack color really matter?

Tex518

I am wandering what everybody thinks about the color or camo patterns on a back pack. I see guys try to sell their first child to get a pack in the newest camo pattern. Is coyote better than ranger green? Is multicam better than fusion? Just wandering who has paid more to get a preferred pattern and why. Let’s hear your thoughts.

Nope. But I hunt in wranglers most of the time as I don't really think camo in general makes much difference.

But it is amazing when you see these guys who have full matching camo from that hat, pack, bino harness, pants, gun, gloves, bow, and even base layers.

Lots of great gear out there for hunting that is not camo.

Negative ghostrider. I have some camo clothes I wear hunting just because. One of the best hunters I know wears his summer hiking clothes or winter backcountry ski stuff depending on the weather. The critter doesn't really seem to know the difference. I would probably lose a camo backpack. My brother had a knife with a camo handle. Needless to say that thing is long gone...

I say it all the time, camo fools hunters more than it does the quarry.

That's my theory on the Wranglers. Animals are used to seeing people during the summer in blue jeans checking on cattle driving junker ranch trucks, then suddenly guys show up in 50k lifted rigs with camo clothes and scare the animals.

I think whether the material is durable and quiet is more important than Camo pattern or color. I personally like to have some amount of “hunter’s orange” on the pack during rifle season.

A camo pack can be a bitch to find if you leave it.

In Montana, I believe that to be legal during the rifle season a pack must have hunter orange on it. 400 visible square inches. Sometimes a vest or jacket isn't worn or doesn't comply. I don't worry about it. mtmuley

Camo is fashion accessory, play the wind right you won't need to worry about the brand or what pattern it is.

I am wandering what everybody thinks about the color or camo patterns on a back pack. I see guys try to sell their first child to get a pack in the newest camo pattern. Is coyote better than ranger green? Is multicam better than fusion? Just wandering who has paid more to get a preferred pattern and why. Let’s hear your thoughts.

I’m guessing from the snarky tone that you’ve already decided this one.

Who gives a fook what color someone else has on their pack?

I've always thought by not having a camo pattern I have a better chance at resale to hit the non hunter market as well.

Snarky tone? Never heard that one before. Maybe somebody has heard that a few too many times from the ex-wife!

..and I don’t care what color somebody has on their pack, I’m trying to decide if I spend the extra money or not. I was hoping for some insight as to why others would choose one over the other. The purpose of forums is to discuss and maybe gain some insight and knowledge. If you don’t have either, then move along.

Camo is made to break up your outline to try to hide you from the game you are pursuing. Obviously it doesn't work to hide you if you are sky lined, don't blend in well, doesn't break up your image well enough, and/or if you move to much. So camo has its limitations and isn't really needed if you take precautions to prevent the above things from happening.

As it pertains to your backpack, it should be on your back and you should be facing your game. So is camo really needed?

Obviously this is just my opinion!

“As it pertains to your backpack, it should be on your back and you should be facing your game. So is camo really”

I agree completely. I do wander though if solid colors are more detectable by animals when noticing movement through the woods or from a distance

Last edited:
Seems from what I've heard from the past that's led me to pack/wear what I do for hunting matches with the typical articles on this subject. I believe it is mostly smell and movement than color though if the breaking pattern and colors that are dull assist, seems an extra to assist that good luck.

What this means to a hunter is that you should avoid wearing anything blue. You should also avoid wearing camouflage with a lot of white, because white reflects all colors, including blue. And because deer can't perceive color shades very well, a hunter wearing camouflage containing many subtle shades of green and/or brown looks just like one big blob to deer. Instead, wear camouflage that breaks up your outline and move as little as possible to avoid being busted.
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/07/video-new-study-sheds-light-what-deer-see

However, other light wavelengths exist. Just as human ears can't hear some sounds, human eyes can't see some light. These invisible wavelengths include ultraviolet (beyond violet) and infrared (below red). Deer sense colors toward the violet end of the spectrum, so they can see blues and probably even ultraviolet (UV) light. Deer show a slight sensitivity to yellow, but tests indicate that green, orange, and red appear to them as shades of gray.
https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2003/06/what-deer-see

By contrast, deer and many other game animals have dichromamtic (di=two) vision, meaning they only have two types of color cells compared to our three. Deer, antelope, elk, sheep, goats and pigs only have the bluish light cells and the green-yellow light cells. They can only see in these colors. Purple, red, pink, and orange don’t make an appearance. This is why orange has become the safety color for hunters in the field. While a dude decked out in blaze orange may look like a ridiculous human highlighter to us, he’ll look like a dull, unremarkable yellowish-gray to our ungulate friends.

Deer also can’t distinguish between subtle shades of the colors they can see. Medium blue and light blue won’t look terribly different to them. But deer may not be inferior in all aspects of color vision. For instance, deer are more sensitive to UV light compared to humans. While the human eye blocks ultraviolet rays from reaching the light-sensitive color cells, deer eyes have no such filter. Deer don’t have color cells that are especially sensitive to UV ‘colors’, but research suggests that they can perceive some UV light.
https://modern-hunters.com/need-camouflage-to-hunt/

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back