MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any one use mountain climbing boots like Scarpa or Mammut?

Arrow Guru

I have a pair of Scarpa Charmoz that I love. The problem is that they are too narrow in the toe box. They have a lot of features and the wear has been awesome. I have used them for two years hoping that they just needed more break in. But, I am just not going to be able to use them because of them being narrow. I have bad ankles from being a skate boarder for 20 years. I can wear soft sided boots in the mountains, my ankles would roll on me every step. I was hoping someone might have some experience with this brand and know a model that might be similar but have a wider fit. I have also looked at the Mammut and liked them, but I really need to know if they are going to wear correctly.

Thanks for any input

Scarpa and La Sportiva have always run narrow to me. The Trango Tower is a little wider, I can get by with them. I've hunted in Kayland Super Ice, Kayland Multi-Tranction, and Kayland Super Traction. Have hiked and climbed ice in a couple Millet's, Kayland M11+ too. I've also used Koflach doubles. Out of the batch of those I'd say Kayland tends the widest to me. I have a fairly wide forefoot.

I will also say that I have bad ankles from sports and a genetic arch issue, and I have given up stiff boots...and basically never turn my ankles anymore. I used to turn them all the time wearing stiff mountain boots. Your situation may be very different than mine, but I started using low drop runners and hikers from Inov-8, Altra, and HOKA (not so low drop in that case) and my ankles are stronger than they've ever been. I backpack hunt a lot and carry multiple 100-120# loads every year. YMMV, but I gotta preach the gospel because it made getting around in the hills a lot more fun an sustainable for me. Good luck on your search!

all of my hunting boots are scarpas. they fit my feet perfect. i literally pulled a pair out of the box and climbed rainier that day.

I'm currently wearing a pair of Mammut Trovats. For me, they fit my narrow foot decent and provide a nice balance of support and flexibility. I also have worn Lowa Tibets which are a bit wider (too wide for me) and a bit stiffer (also too stiff for my feet) than the Trovats. They might be worth looking at for you though.

Snowy Mountaineer gives some good advice above. I think a lot of hunters over boot themselves. Lots of mountaineers carrying pretty stout loads in approach shoes.
I like trail runners for summer trips and then switch to a light hiker like the Trovats or the Trango TRK for hunting.

I'm looking at getting some new boots as well and haven't decided which way to go... I currently have the Schnee's bearbooth, I have narrow feet and they fit great out of the box, the boots have lasted forever, still pretty waterproof and I think the perfect stiffness for the kind of hunting I do.

That being said, because they are leather they require a lot of maintenance to keep them waterproof and I kinda want to get something that I'm not going to be oiling constantly and if possible weighs less. It seems to me that most hunting boots are heavy and leather and most mountaineering boots are either for the trail and have a really short upper or for use with crampons and stiff enough that they kinda suck if you have to hoof it a long ways on a flat trail to get to your hunt spot, plus they are usually insulated which I don't want. I haven't found anything in that sweet spot yet.

I'm definite interested in the kayland aprex plus GTX, wish I could find somewhere that carries them in the US.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Scarpa Charmoz also - and they do run a bit tight in the toe box for me. I took the laces off mine, got them a bit wet and then put wore them around without laces (around the "house" for a day). I ran the laces in the toe area loose, then tightened up the other sections of the boot. They fit much better now.

I've got some Scarpa telemark boots that are also a bit tight in the toe. I've heard that Crispi boots have a bit more room in the toe - but I've never tried them on.

If the toe is the only problem and your only option is to buy a new pair of boots - I'd try the water fix to see if they'll expand.

I too get tired of stiff boots all the time, so I swap with other boots / shoes for days during the year.

Crispi are suppose to have one of the widest toe boxes out there. I have a hard time with boots that fit and all the research I've done Crispi are the best boots for my hammertoes.

Scarpa and La Sportiva have always run narrow to me. The Trango Tower is a little wider, I can get by with them. I've hunted in Kayland Super Ice, Kayland Multi-Tranction, and Kayland Super Traction. Have hiked and climbed ice in a couple Millet's, Kayland M11+ too. I've also used Koflach doubles. Out of the batch of those I'd say Kayland tends the widest to me. I have a fairly wide forefoot.

I will also say that I have bad ankles from sports and a genetic arch issue, and I have given up stiff boots...and basically never turn my ankles anymore. I used to turn them all the time wearing stiff mountain boots. Your situation may be very different than mine, but I started using low drop runners and hikers from Inov-8, Altra, and HOKA (not so low drop in that case) and my ankles are stronger than they've ever been. I backpack hunt a lot and carry multiple 100-120# loads every year. YMMV, but I gotta preach the gospel because it made getting around in the hills a lot more fun an sustainable for me. Good luck on your search!
Have you used any of the new Inov8 boot like trail runners? I'm interested in something lighter/flatter for use here. Also looking at Altra.

I like the Sportiva Trango cubes for fair weather.
They’re not all that waterproof and the toes will eventually come apart but man, they’re light, stiff and comfy. I don’t think they’re worth full price. I find them on eBay cheap.
I have the Schnees Tetons that I’ve started to wear and they seem to suffice in cold, snow etc. I just hope they don’t turn out to be junk like my last pair of granites.

Scarpa boots as well as the more burly Sportivas look great.

Have you used any of the new Inov8 boot like trail runners? I'm interested in something lighter/flatter for use here. Also looking at Altra.
I have not used the latest generation, like the 345, which does have my eye. I used the 325, 390 and 400 a lot, and also the 295 and 315 as a summer hiking shoe. I still have a pair of the 325's that I use on occasion. They are generally lower profile in every way than the Altras, and very "spare" feeling, which can be nice in a way. I moved to Altra as my everyday shoe so I could get a little more cushioning but still have zero drop.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info! The cushioning is important to me as I'm far from svelte... I may just go with the Altras and see what I think. It's not that expensive of an experiment.

Thanks for that info! The cushioning is important to me as I'm far from svelte... I may just go with the Altras and see what I think. It's not that expensive of an experiment.
A few of them are on sale on the manufacturers site, although the newer eVent Lone Peak's are not.

Love the look of the lone peaks... how are they off trail/side hilling?
Off trail they are pretty responsive, as in they move and flex with whatever's underfoot, with moderate midsole protection (more than Inov-8, less than Hoka). They are way more nimble feeling than a more traditional boot or the Hoka Tor Hi, which is what I've been using the most lately. The stack height on the Lone Peak, while more than a super minimalist shoe, is less than about any other boot-ish shoe, which makes a lot of the difference imo. They will not edge, so off trail sidehilling looks like French Technique with crampons or something, where the full sole is in contact with the mountain and my ankles and a trekking pole or two do the balancing work. Pounding out miles on the trail I like the extra cushion of the Tor, but for scrambly stuff off trail the Lone Peak wins. Both have a generous forefoot box, the Tor in every dimension, the Lone Peak just laterally--which again helps with responsiveness I guess.

I do not think that the NeoShell liner is as durable as eVent or GoreTex liners, which falls in line with my Neoshell experience in rain gear. If I were buying a pair I'd probably spring for the newest Lone Peak, just for that reason.

I do not think that the NeoShell liner is as durable as eVent or GoreTex liners, which falls in line with my Neoshell experience in rain gear. If I were buying a pair I'd probably spring for the newest Lone Peak, just for that reason.

How fast is your neoshell rain gear wearing out?

How fast is your neoshell rain gear wearing out?
It would be really tough to estimate the number of days of use, but I'll take a stab and say 20 days where I used it for half a day or more. I'm not talking about the DWR getting weak either, the membrane was visibly breaking down around the collar and lower front and letting moisture in. Workmanship was not the issue, it was the material itself. Westcomb Shift LT was the make/model.

It would be really tough to estimate the number of days of use, but I'll take a stab and say 20 days where I used it for half a day or more. I'm not talking about the DWR getting weak either, the membrane was visibly breaking down around the collar and lower front and letting moisture in. Workmanship was not the issue, it was the material itself. Westcomb Shift LT was the make/model.

That's a bummer to hear. I have a MH Cyclone jacket that I really like. No issues so far, but I probably don't have 20 days on it yet.

That's a bummer to hear. I have a MH Cyclone jacket that I really like. No issues so far, but I probably don't have 20 days on it yet.
Well good luck and treat it gently. :)
It's a bummer because out of the box the breathability was amazing for a hard-ish shell. Not wearing under a pack would surely help, but then we're backpacking after all.

Well, my search for the next pair of boots ended when my wife give me my anniversary present. A pair of Lowa Ticam II GTX! I put a pair of Sole' footbeds in them and so far (very too soon) they feel great. I will be wearing them all spring and summer trying to break them in. Anyone with narrow feet wear a Euro 43.5? Thats kinda between a 9.5 and a 10 US. I have a pair in very good condition I will make a great deal on!

BTW, thanks for all the input guys!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back