Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming Applications

Your one dollar contribution to AccessYes and S&R wont be missed, or your application/credit card fees either. Wyoming applications are setting records every year, hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want, nobody cares.

I do have Wyoming plates, but lack the 60k truck, side by sides, ATV's, and camp trailer bigger than my house. I do have a 12 year old Davis Wall Tent, a 2010 truck, and a couple half wore out pairs of meindle hiking boots though.

Wyoming, absolutely has some stellar elk hunting. No question in my mind, they will sell out of tags again this year. You and JM77 have made your point, and I agree.

The problem is this. Every year, more regular blue collar hunters are priced out of the game. I know several hunting buddies who just cant justify the cost. I've talked to others about coming along. There is often interest right up until I tell them the cost of the Non resident tags.

It's a simple fact that the less people heading west to hunt will result in less interest in our public lands. I'm always amazed at how many folks from back east have no idea what BLM or National forest land is. This includes some hunters.

Preserving and protecting our public lands is going to take the support and dedication of people from all over the US. Do you really think the Washington types give a crap about what Wyoming voters think? Do you know what they will tell you when its decided that your favorite chunk of BLM is being sold off to pay the bills for the state or Federal government? Let me take a guess. "Hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want, nobody cares."

We need to look past the tip of our nose at the bigger picture. I for one am thinking long term. I hope many more generations of my family will be able to enjoy the same great places I have.

It's a simple fact that the less people heading west to hunt will result in less interest in our public lands. I'm always amazed at how many folks from back east have no idea what BLM or National forest land is. This includes some hunters.

Preserving and protecting our public lands is going to take the support and dedication of people from all over the US. Do you really think the Washington types give a crap about what Wyoming voters think? Do you know what they will tell you when its decided that your favorite chunk of BLM is being sold off to pay the bills for the state or Federal government? Let me take a guess. "Hold your breath and stomp your feet all you want, nobody cares."

We need to look past the tip of our nose at the bigger picture. I for one am thinking long term. I hope many more generations of my family will be able to enjoy the same great places I have.

Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, wherever.
Look past the tip of your nose, think in the long term.
Playing the price and accessibility of/to hunting against the bigger public lands picture is pathetic.
If that's where we're at, as this seems to come up with some regularity, then we are all screwed as sportsmen/women and users of a uniquely American concept.
Jesus Christ, the only thing our public lands are good for is hunting????..............
At times, one thing this forum does is put the face of the problem right in the mirror.

Last edited:
Hunting out of state is a luxury, luxuries are seldom inexpensive. 600 bucks to hunt a lope in the special draw bites me pretty hard in the wallet, but ain't nobody putting a gun to my head to apply. Funny, you always hear the same complaint, NR fees are too high to NRs, NR fees are always too low to residents

Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, wherever.
Look past the tip of your nose, think in the long term.
Playing the price and accessibility of/to hunting against the bigger public lands picture is pathetic.
If that's where we're at, as this seems to come up with some regularity, then we are all screwed as sportsmen/women and users of a uniquely American concept.
Jesus Christ, the only thing our public lands are good for is hunting????..............
]At times, one thing this forum does is put the face of the problem right in the mirror.

I sure hope not. I do feel a bit like Nostradamus though.

Of course not. I hear wolf watching is becoming a huge deal. I hear it brings in big money to some towns.

Hunting out of state is a luxury, luxuries are seldom inexpensive. 600 bucks to hunt a lope in the special draw bites me pretty hard in the wallet, but ain't nobody putting a gun to my head to apply. Funny, you always hear the same complaint, NR fees are too high to NRs, NR fees are always too low to residents

I agree.

I sure hope not. I do feel a bit like Nostradamus though.

Of course not. I hear wolf watching is becoming a huge deal. I hear it brings in big money to some towns.

Nostradamus says the only 2 things that happen on public land are wolf watching and hunting...sounds like a brilliant guy.

I call BS on the less people heading out west due to tag costs. I'd be curious to see a trend on Wyoming's total non res elk apps for the last 5 years. CO is downright friggin ridiculous. I had a spot we used to hunt early season elk on the grand mesa. Buddy drew a LE muzzie tag. Showed up to hike in and there was 52 rigs parked at the trail head, most NR's. Never seen it like that in years past.

I also call BS that it's unattainable for blue collar guys. It's inconvenient, but not unattainable. Rather than grab a tag, you have to budget and plan. Maybe they have to cut back on extras now to fund it. I quit beer and eating out to fund my apps in 5 other western states as a NR. Those who want to hunt will find a way, those who opt out will be quickly replaced.

I call BS on the less people heading out west due to tag costs. I'd be curious to see a trend on Wyoming's total non res elk apps for the last 5 years. CO is downright friggin ridiculous. I had a spot we used to hunt early season elk on the grand mesa. Buddy drew a LE muzzie tag. Showed up to hike in and there was 52 rigs parked at the trail head, most NR's. Never seen it like that in years past.

I also call BS that it's unattainable for blue collar guys. It's inconvenient, but not unattainable. Rather than grab a tag, you have to budget and plan. Maybe they have to cut back on extras now to fund it. I quit beer and eating out to fund my apps in 5 other western states as a NR. Those who want to hunt will find a way, those who opt out will be quickly replaced.

I agree . No matter the cost , if you want to go it’s doable if you sacrifice and plan .

It amazes me that so many think that cost does not matter.

I'll miss the early WY nonresident elk draw. Success or failure there sets the stage for everything else. Unlike a lot of you guys, I can't afford multiple tags, much less multiple trips westward.

I think cost does matter and showed itself in last year's draw.The point creep over last 2 years has been ridiculous and I think it all revolves around NR getting out of points and license fee increases.Better units take minimum of 10 points in special draw,$2100 tag.Now that special draw tags are over $1300, think that only benefits rich people.Regular draw odds will continue to get worse over that.Think ALOT of NR are stuck trying to decide to pay special fees and get out or buy points for years so they don't have to explain to their wife about paying $1300+ for just a tag.Im curious to see how this all pass out over next 3-4 years.Think internet chatter brought in a bunch of new applications to Wyoming.I can remember before all that how I could draw a general every 2 years in regular draw which was well worth it.Now to have to wait 4 years for same tag I think will send guys back to their old stomping grounds and out of points game

I couldn't agree more Jayden. Last year I was basically told your crazy for bringing this up. I could easily be wrong but I don't think I am. I think guys have been banking points and are starting to cash them out in Wyoming. The next few years should be interesting. But I also agree that for one that cashes in and leaves another will replace them. I think it may go similar to Montana's price change a while back. Things will slow down a bit then back to normal eventually.
Guys will only pay so much for a tag before they stay at home. Question is what is that breaking point? I'm slowly working my way out of the western thing in a lot of states except for sheep/goat.
I don't feel like it's good for the future of hunting and public lands honestly. I worry that eventually people will just quit the sport and find other things to do with their time and money.

Why do so many people feel they're "owed" something or another just b/c they want to put in for a different state? Plain and simple, nobody owes you a thing! If you want to hunt said state, then you play by their rules. Why piss & moan about it?
I want to hunt WY. I have to pay their fees and play by the wilderness rule. Do I think some of the stuff is fair....Who cares? Their rules. So I play and shut up. Nobody is forcing me to go to WY to hunt. Its a choice.

Did I get priced out of anything yet? Yep. I wish I had more money to play the higher priced critter game, but I don't. Its not going to effect the hunting for WY...just me. And again...who cares?

Western hunting states survived before the big influx of popularity, and I'm guessing they will after....but who knows the end results really??? We'll all see.

I wish you all luck with whatever you CHOOSE to do. If you do go hunting, then I look forward to reading your stories and seeing your photos.

Why wouldn't we care? How bizarre not to care about something like this. I get it that you don't care that I care. But I don't care that you don't care that I care.

For you guys that are worried about tag prices, and them being out of reach for hunters, what you like to see happen?

In a nutshell, quit funding state Game and Fish or DNR departments on the backs of hunters, and nonresident hunters in particular. This is true of my state where our very little public land is mostly state owned, but seems even more egregious in western states where most of the land on which the state is raking money is federally owned.

Just my $0.02

I think cost does matter and showed itself in last year's draw.The point creep over last 2 years has been ridiculous and I think it all revolves around NR getting out of points and license fee increases.Better units take minimum of 10 points in special draw,$2100 tag.Now that special draw tags are over $1300, think that only benefits rich people.Regular draw odds will continue to get worse over that.Think ALOT of NR are stuck trying to decide to pay special fees and get out or buy points for years so they don't have to explain to their wife about paying $1300+ for just a tag.Im curious to see how this all pass out over next 3-4 years.Think internet chatter brought in a bunch of new applications to Wyoming.I can remember before all that how I could draw a general every 2 years in regular draw which was well worth it.Now to have to wait 4 years for same tag I think will send guys back to their old stomping grounds and out of points game

Nobody is "getting out of anything"...per GF Director Talbott about 2 hours ago, there has been increases of 20% over-all for licenses in Wyoming just last year. The only declines they have seen is applications is moose and bison, all others are up.

That sends a pretty clear message that increasing the NR license fees was fine...if NR had a problem with it, there wouldn't be a 20% increase in applications.

In a nutshell, quit funding state Game and Fish or DNR departments on the backs of hunters, and nonresident hunters in particular. This is true of my state where our very little public land is mostly state owned, but seems even more egregious in western states where most of the land on which the state is raking money is federally owned.

Just my $0.02

Land ownership and wildlife are not related...the State has the absolute right, authority and law behind it to regulate wildlife within their borders any way they choose, no matter the status of the land it resides on.

Your complaint has no merit...

I think everyone should boycott WY and not apply this year especially for Elk!:D:D

I have no problem with a fee increase given it isn’t to extreme. WY Buffalo was one increase that seemed a little excessive and seems to have deterred some people.
What many non residents fail to realize is that as a hunter and traveling to a state that we pay no taxes in on a yearly basis I feel the tag prices are not that much and are justly due to the state in which you choose to apply and hunt. Non resident hunters do help in stimulating the economy of many small towns and businesses during hunting season and have every right to choose where and when they spend their money.
Some years I apply in many states and some years I do not based upon my own finances and schedule and appreciate the tags offered to NR.
Buzz Thank you for all you do for WY hunting and keeping many of us informed on issues that certainly need attention from NR.

Well here is my viewpoint and being a NR, it will matter to exactly no one!

I understand there were valid reasons for moving the date. However, this will have a detrimental effect on our group. Much like Randy cannot rely upon Idaho because they are last, this moves WY to the back of the timeline for us. So instead of applying for a license, we will just go the PP route until we are sure....but wait, I think it is more complicated than that. This MAY (or may not) result in less people applying. I think it will, but I don't know if that will be a big decrease or not. If NR tags don't sell out (primarily thinking General tag for a good example) because of this in 2020, then everyone will be licking their chops in 2021 and apps will skyrocket. Then you will have people that don't draw without a backup plan other than to strike out for new territory in the last 2 states, ID and CO. People will be upset. But that is 2 years down the road, so it is hard to predict. We may be in for a roller coaster ride! Someone opined that the increase last year was people cashing in points. That could have been the reason for the 20% increase. Or not.

Bottom line is this, this will have both intended and unintended consequences. It is good for some, it is bad for others. Looking beyond my personal situation, if it is good for the resource, then it is a good move.

I do wonder if some time, a state is going to make a big error and tick off the golden goose and watch their G&F fund suffer.

Back