Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

My crazy prediction is this thread will get locked and we will all try and buy licenses anyway.
    Last edited by Addicting; 01-11-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    I'm going to make a wild, crazy prediction. The number of applications from NR's for Elk, Deer, and Antelope in Wyoming this year will be higher than last year. Just like the year before....and before....and before....and before....and before....
    I have tried to take the high ground and express concern for others - but if I am selfish for a moment, it would be great to have tag and point prices tripled for a few years across the west to clean out the mess.
    Freedom Is Not Free

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    I have tried to take the high ground and express concern for others - but if I am selfish for a moment, it would be great to have tag and point prices tripled for a few years across the west to clean out the mess.
    Just curious, how many years do you have invested in Wyoming and/or the other western states? Is the issue of pricing people out one that has bothered you for many years?

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
    Just curious, how many years do you have invested in Wyoming and/or the other western states? Is the issue of pricing people out one that has bothered you for many years?
    I am a self professed newbie to western hunting - only a few years in. But my old age (only 50s not that old I try to tell myself) has left me mindful that I am blessed and that I should have concern for others in a broad tent. Also years in the legal and politics realm has left me sensitive to building big tents and resisting the provincial urge to write off everyone who is not already in my tribe, and to appreciate how quickly the political landscape can shift. But there is no doubt this entire discussion is a first world problem. If I had to invest significantly more time/money into a solution I would increase my work with kids in the foster care system or feeding the homeless.
    Freedom Is Not Free

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    I am a self professed newbie to western hunting - only a few years in. But my old age (only 50s not that old I try to tell myself) has left me mindful that I am blessed and that I should have concern for others in a broad tent. Also years in the legal and politics realm has left me sensitive to building big tents and resisting the provincial urge to write off everyone who is not already in my tribe, and to appreciate how quickly the political landscape can shift. But there is no doubt this entire discussion is a first world problem. If I had to invest significantly more time/money into a solution I would increase my work with kids in the foster care system or feeding the homeless.
    You wont find a state that expands the "broad tent" more than Wyoming with their generosity to NR hunters.

16% of the LQ elk tags, 40,818 NR pronghorn tags (well over half of the total available pronghorn tags, yes NR's receive more pronghorn tags than residents by about a 2-1 margin), 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to continue with your humanitarian efforts of expanding the broad tent of NR hunters, just about any other Western State would be a better place to start those efforts, by a land-slide.
    Last edited by BuzzH; 01-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    You wont find a state that expands the "broad tent" more than Wyoming with their generosity to NR hunters.

16% of the LQ elk tags, 40,818 NR pronghorn tags (well over half of the total available pronghorn tags, yes NR's receive more pronghorn tags than residents by about a 2-1 margin), 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to continue with your humanitarian efforts of expanding the broad tent of NR hunters, just about any other Western State would be a better place to start those efforts, by a land-slide.
    I think I have thrown plenty of praise at WY this thread - just talking big picture. Plus always better to patch up something close to perfect than to start from a dumpster fire - yah Utah, I'm looking at you. (that's just a joke - I know little about Utah other then the PL battles referenced here, maybe if I hunted there I would love it).
    Freedom Is Not Free

7. Default

Just applied for a unit 11 type 9 tag.... long shot with how many points I have, but we shall see....

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    Nobody is "getting out of anything"...per GF Director Talbott about 2 hours ago, The only declines they have seen is applications is moose and bison, all others are up.
    I don't remember who but a couple guys here lost a bet saying moose apps would not decline with the new point price.
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

Really don't want to get into this, but I keep reading Wyoming guys state they don't have to give nonresidents tags. That's true and all, but before you act too arrogant, think about this: where would you be financially without the nonresident hunter? Just sayin......

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Labs View Post
    Really don't want to get into this, but I keep reading Wyoming guys state they don't have to give nonresidents tags. That's true and all, but before you act too arrogant, think about this: where would you be financially without the nonresident hunter? Just sayin......
    Montana residents seem to have trouble understanding this too . Cuz ya know , no Montana residents shoot any immature deer or elk ��

11. Default

Absolutely nowhere. They lose us they lose us they use their resources.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbydean View Post
    I like Buzz. He is arrogant, can be obnoxious, and does belittle other people.

But as a public land advocate, he is right.

He is always right!
    Buzz isn't ALWAYS right, but on this issue he sure as hell is.

Buzz is always right, just ask him.

Lets think about that for a minute. If there were no out of state hunters there would be less people in motels, restaurants, etc.. in the fall, especially October so there would certainly be a hit for some small businesses over a couple months but with all the other tourist Wyoming year round it would likely be alright. Much better odds of drawing a premium tag for residents. Almost no outfitting or guiding businesses as locals are not going to pay ridiculous prices like a wealthy NR will.

It actually sounds pretty good, just sayin.

Believe it or not Kansas did not allow NR's to hunt deer up until the 90's .

I am happy to have the NR hunters come to Wyoming, I moved away for a while so I understand the NR hunter's perspective as I have been one. It's great for small businesses across the state. But in the end Wyoming is very generous with NR tags as has been mentioned for the reasons you eluded to.

By all mean please come but stay in motels, eat at restaurants, and spend money at every opportunity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345