MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Applications

My crazy prediction is this thread will get locked and we will all try and buy licenses anyway.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a wild, crazy prediction. The number of applications from NR's for Elk, Deer, and Antelope in Wyoming this year will be higher than last year. Just like the year before....and before....and before....and before....and before....

I have tried to take the high ground and express concern for others - but if I am selfish for a moment, it would be great to have tag and point prices tripled for a few years across the west to clean out the mess.

I have tried to take the high ground and express concern for others - but if I am selfish for a moment, it would be great to have tag and point prices tripled for a few years across the west to clean out the mess.

Just curious, how many years do you have invested in Wyoming and/or the other western states? Is the issue of pricing people out one that has bothered you for many years?

Just curious, how many years do you have invested in Wyoming and/or the other western states? Is the issue of pricing people out one that has bothered you for many years?

I am a self professed newbie to western hunting - only a few years in. But my old age (only 50s not that old I try to tell myself) has left me mindful that I am blessed and that I should have concern for others in a broad tent. Also years in the legal and politics realm has left me sensitive to building big tents and resisting the provincial urge to write off everyone who is not already in my tribe, and to appreciate how quickly the political landscape can shift. But there is no doubt this entire discussion is a first world problem. If I had to invest significantly more time/money into a solution I would increase my work with kids in the foster care system or feeding the homeless.

I am a self professed newbie to western hunting - only a few years in. But my old age (only 50s not that old I try to tell myself) has left me mindful that I am blessed and that I should have concern for others in a broad tent. Also years in the legal and politics realm has left me sensitive to building big tents and resisting the provincial urge to write off everyone who is not already in my tribe, and to appreciate how quickly the political landscape can shift. But there is no doubt this entire discussion is a first world problem. If I had to invest significantly more time/money into a solution I would increase my work with kids in the foster care system or feeding the homeless.

You wont find a state that expands the "broad tent" more than Wyoming with their generosity to NR hunters.

16% of the LQ elk tags, 40,818 NR pronghorn tags (well over half of the total available pronghorn tags, yes NR's receive more pronghorn tags than residents by about a 2-1 margin), 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to continue with your humanitarian efforts of expanding the broad tent of NR hunters, just about any other Western State would be a better place to start those efforts, by a land-slide.

Last edited:
You wont find a state that expands the "broad tent" more than Wyoming with their generosity to NR hunters.

16% of the LQ elk tags, 40,818 NR pronghorn tags (well over half of the total available pronghorn tags, yes NR's receive more pronghorn tags than residents by about a 2-1 margin), 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, etc. etc. etc.

If you're going to continue with your humanitarian efforts of expanding the broad tent of NR hunters, just about any other Western State would be a better place to start those efforts, by a land-slide.

I think I have thrown plenty of praise at WY this thread - just talking big picture. Plus always better to patch up something close to perfect than to start from a dumpster fire - yah Utah, I'm looking at you. (that's just a joke - I know little about Utah other then the PL battles referenced here, maybe if I hunted there I would love it).

Just applied for a unit 11 type 9 tag.... long shot with how many points I have, but we shall see....

Nobody is "getting out of anything"...per GF Director Talbott about 2 hours ago, The only declines they have seen is applications is moose and bison, all others are up.
I don't remember who but a couple guys here lost a bet saying moose apps would not decline with the new point price.

Really don't want to get into this, but I keep reading Wyoming guys state they don't have to give nonresidents tags. That's true and all, but before you act too arrogant, think about this: where would you be financially without the nonresident hunter? Just sayin......

Really don't want to get into this, but I keep reading Wyoming guys state they don't have to give nonresidents tags. That's true and all, but before you act too arrogant, think about this: where would you be financially without the nonresident hunter? Just sayin......

Montana residents seem to have trouble understanding this too . Cuz ya know , no Montana residents shoot any immature deer or elk ��

Absolutely nowhere. They lose us they lose us they use their resources.

Lets think about that for a minute. If there were no out of state hunters there would be less people in motels, restaurants, etc.. in the fall, especially October so there would certainly be a hit for some small businesses over a couple months but with all the other tourist Wyoming year round it would likely be alright. Much better odds of drawing a premium tag for residents. Almost no outfitting or guiding businesses as locals are not going to pay ridiculous prices like a wealthy NR will.

It actually sounds pretty good, just sayin.

Believe it or not Kansas did not allow NR's to hunt deer up until the 90's .

I am happy to have the NR hunters come to Wyoming, I moved away for a while so I understand the NR hunter's perspective as I have been one. It's great for small businesses across the state. But in the end Wyoming is very generous with NR tags as has been mentioned for the reasons you eluded to.

By all mean please come but stay in motels, eat at restaurants, and spend money at every opportunity.

I threw in for a Type 1 and a Type 6. Long odds on both. 2 BILs joined in the party app for the Type 6 tags. This next month is going to move slow...

My bigger concern is that their are no longer random tags in some of the units anymore. It appears some of the tags are going to landowners where they were in the nr pool draw before. Some units had random tags before 2017 but in 2018 they had none or fewer than previous years. This will effect my decision to buy points this year rather than pay the 2.5 percent transaction fee with no chance of drawing.

I ran the numbers last week when a discussion came about Wy going to a 90/10 split. I only did Elk but by reducing the nr le elk quota to 10%, and the 7250 full price allocation remaining, the dept would actually see an increase in revenue.

Landowners always draw first, for the resident draw as well as the nr draw. There is no limitation for quota so landowners could, and have at least once, drawn every available license for a hunt.

Last edited:
what is the likelihood that WY will go to a 90/10 res/nonres elk tag split?

Not sure. I hope never, but when you look at how the current generous allocations to non-residents impacts Wyoming residents, I can understand why they would pressure their legislature to change it.

I am happy with the status quo in Wyoming and hope nobody does anything to change how it currently is. I wish they didn't have the Regular/Special split. I dislike the Wilderness Area restrictions on non-residents. But, even with those warts, I feel Wyoming treats non-residents very good in comparison to other western states. I hope non-residents can look at that bigger picture and understand that we have it very good in Wyoming.

what is the likelihood that WY will go to a 90/10 res/nonres elk tag split?

I think its probably going to happen at some point, there is LOTS of pressure to increase Resident draw odds any way possible. But, the thing that NR's better start thinking about, is that revenue will NOT be the deciding factor in whether it goes to 90/10 or not. Like WapitiBob pointed out, there would be an increase in revenue if 90/10 were to happen for elk. With the 7250 cap on NR, there would be more general tags issued to make up for fewer LQ tags. When you look at the number of general tags selling in the Special fee pool, well, you can do that math from there.

Pronghorn funding would be no different either with 90/10 since NR's already draw/buy more pronghorn tags than residents. All it would do is shift more tags to the resident pool in the better pronghorn areas, leaving more tags available to NR's in the less desirable units. Deer would probably see a slight decline in revenue, but Wyoming gives so few LQ tags, and the price is cheap enough, that it wouldn't be a significant impact to revenue. A majority of NR deer tags would remain unchanged since a vast majority are under Region wide quotas.

Point being, NR's better come up with a better reason than reduced funding to the WYGF for opposing a 90/10 split, because that isn't the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back