Caribou Gear Tarp

Scope / Turret running out of adjustment

Just a quick update. I've taken everything apart and remounted the scope. I also took it back to mechanical zero. I'm waiting for a couple dry days so I can shoot it and see where its at. Hopefully should be able to go out this weekend.

In the meantime I did pull out the old mounts and bases and confirmed they were 0 MOA bases as measured by a caliper (meaning they are the exact same size). However I forgot that when I took them off, there were these little thin black plates and I cant remember if one was under each base or if both were under the back acting as an offset. Anyone seen these before. Both plates together measure .02". Attached is a photo below.

IMG_20190104_160310.jpg

Those are definitely Weaver bases (the cheapest ones they make). Not sure I've ever seen the little shims however I've heard of guys using shims made from beer cans. you did the right thing by taking those off

You could use Burris Signature ring that use half-moon shims to help get things on paper without turning dials.

Last edited:
So still working on this with the current type of rings. I contacted Warne to see what they thought and their customer service was great and sent me a brand new set of rings to try. However, the problem actually got worse with the new rings. My turret previously stopped at 500yrds and with the new rings they stop at 425h losing 2 more MOA of adjustment. I'm waiting to see what Warne says but I think the next step will be to go the Picatinny 20MOA rail route.

I would guess that it is the fault of the scope. I have never set up a scope that ran out of adjustment at that short of a range. I think that you have always had that issue and just now realized it, when you mounted the scope correctly. You should not need 20-moa bases, unless you are shooting extreme distance. However, if you insist on that scope, then it may be your only remedy.

I added a 20 MOA picatinny rail to my Tikka just for the problem you're encountering. Bought it from these guys https://tikkaperformance.com/index....nt/Tikka-T3-Performance-Series-Picatinny-Rail

Besides giving me a little more turret movement, the rail allowed be to move the scope around more that those little weaver bases (which I had before). With the 20 MOA, I can still zero at 100 and was able still able to use a set of low rings (0.87") on my vortex 50mm scope. Still a bit of room over the barrel profile of a Tikka so the low rings might work for your 52mm Swaro.

Last edited:
I would guess that it is the fault of the scope. I have never set up a scope that ran out of adjustment at that short of a range. I think that you have always had that issue and just now realized it, when you mounted the scope correctly. You should not need 20-moa bases, unless you are shooting extreme distance. However, if you insist on that scope, then it may be your only remedy.

Its a possibility as any brand can have problems that slip through but with it being a Swarovski scope I'm not to keen on getting rid of it. I've used it for a couple years and its always performed well so if it takes a 20 MOA base that's a lot cheaper option than swapping out the scope. The scope tracks great and is extremely clear so assuming I can get my full use of the turret back I'll be very pleased.

I added a 20 MOA picatinny rail to my Tikka just for the problem you're encountering. Bought it from these guys https://tikkaperformance.com/index....nt/Tikka-T3-Performance-Series-Picatinny-Rail

Besides giving me a little more turret movement, the rail allowed be to move the scope around more that those little weaver bases (which I had before). With the 20 MOA, I can still zero at 100 and was able still able to use a set of low rings (0.87") on my vortex 50mm scope. Still a bit of room over the barrel profile of a Tikka so the low rings might work for your 52mm Swaro.

Thanks, I was actually already looking at the rail as several people have recommended it. I've been doing a lot of research and apparently we are the only ones that have encountered this problem with various rings that mount directly to the dovetail. I was on a Sako forum earlier where a few guys had the exact same problems with Sako 85s and shooting extremely low at mechanical zero. I haven't seen an exact reason yet, most just put the 20MOA rail on and move about their business.

I love the Tikka, it still remains the most under appreciated, underpriced, most accurate rifle for the money on the market. That said, my one complaint is that dovetail mounting system they put on the receiver bridge. Fortunately, they tapped the receiver so we don't have to live with it.

Well I've finally got everything working correctly and the issue is resolved. Warne had excellent customer support and went way above and beyond to fix my problem. As I mentioned above they originally sent me a new set of dovetail direct mount rings to try but that didn't fix my problem. I asked them if they would be willing to trade out my dovetail rings for a set of Picatinny rings since they were the same cost and since I'd have no use for the dovetail ones once I put a 20 MOA rail on. They happily agreed and even went a step further and sent me one of their 20 MOA rails for free to go with it. I got everything mounted today and this was my first three shots. Took 6 more shots to get it zero'd and hit two perfect bullseyes in a row. I also have full range of my turret back. I'm very pleased with my experience with their customer support and am honestly surprised at how much they wanted to help resolve my problem in anyway they could.

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_154807.jpg
    IMG_20190302_154807.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back