Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunter Fined $25,500 for Killing Grizzly Bear

I believe a long standing record bear was shot in Canada by a Cree woman in self defense with a .22. That is probably the most famous one.

I read an article about that years ago in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream. If I remember correctly, it was done with a Stevens Favorite or Crackshot and a .22 Short was used. Put it right in the ear hole.

I'm good at changing the subjects on this forum, but since there is a handful of people from the states that have grizzlies in them I would like to ask....

Is carrying a 9mm a laughing matter in grizz country? Im my neck of the woods gun store owners say that all you will do is piss off the bear.

A guy killing on with a 22 makes me think otherwise...

Search through the many threads on this forum regarding the "best firearm" for bears and regarding bear attacks. You will see many, many varied opinions, but generally if you want to pack a pistol, the bigger the better. Always carry bear spray and have anyone with you carry bear spray. In most bear attack scenarios it doesn't matter what the victim is packing as he is immediately incapacitated in some way. But those with you will need to act quickly in repelling the bear. If you feel comfortable with your hunting partner firing at a bear chewing on you during a panic-stressed situation, then arm your buddy with a big bore. For me, I want the bear spray deployed. Being chewed up by a bear would be bad enough, but then to take a 9mm round hit also would really ruin my day.

I understand the scenario your talking about. I have researched some attacks that were defended off with 9mm and it sounds like it can be done. When it comes to this subject I like the sound of having a bigger gun but at this point I'd rather spend money on hunts. I'll always carry bear spray when I'm in Grizz country.

I guess I'll throw out this scenario from my experience with handguns.
In my town I currently live in we have AUX police, same as a volunteer firefighter just volunteer police. We carried and had to get certified with our guns. Our day at the range shooting paper targets it seemed everyone using anything greater than a 9mm struggled to hit the target. While those using 9's seemed to do just fine along with me. Does that say something... OR...

Maybe it was just the people using 40s and 44s, maybe they didn't practice much, maybe trigger pull, maybe a hard trigger..? I'm not sure but for this grizzly bear subject would anyone say that accuracy means more that the caliber size? I've never shot over a 9 so I don't have a say in that argument.

I'm good at changing the subjects on this forum, but since there is a handful of people from the states that have grizzlies in them I would like to ask....

Is carrying a 9mm a laughing matter in grizz country? Im my neck of the woods gun store owners say that all you will do is piss off the bear.

I don't think I'd base my bear defense choices on anecdotal evidence of someone shooting a bear and killing it with a .22

I wouldn't want a 9mm or a 40 cal, but if its what you have go for it. Odds are you'll never end up using it anyway...

Search through the many threads on this forum regarding the "best firearm" for bears and regarding bear attacks. You will see many, many varied opinions, but generally if you want to pack a pistol, the bigger the better. Always carry bear spray and have anyone with you carry bear spray. In most bear attack scenarios it doesn't matter what the victim is packing as he is immediately incapacitated in some way. But those with you will need to act quickly in repelling the bear. If you feel comfortable with your hunting partner firing at a bear chewing on you during a panic-stressed situation, then arm your buddy with a big bore. For me, I want the bear spray deployed. Being chewed up by a bear would be bad enough, but then to take a 9mm round hit also would really ruin my day.

My thoughts exactly.

The bear may eventually die from its wounds, but a legendary problem with grizzlies is they become much more dangerous when wounded.

Any animal will succumb to a 9mm. Will a charging grizzly die in the 3/4 second from the time you hit it, until it makes contact with you? I’d rather not find out.

Back