Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Washington Cougar Hunt Begins!

Guy

Today was the first day I really hunted mountain lion seriously this winter. Was a nice, clear 19 degrees with a fair bit of fresh snow on the ground. I'd talked to the WDFW people and let 'em know that I'm going to be out there quite a bit over the next few weeks and months. They're hoping I tag a cat. Me too! Season is open now for bobcat, cougar and of course coyotes.

Chilly but beautiful today:
NWkeGEUl.jpg

VEq9nLsl.jpg

U1uJQKEl.jpg

jiwi49Ql.jpg

qQLfKXNl.jpg

yMZE6k3l.jpg

Was smart enough, for once, to stop after the Jeep was dragging the rear diff through the snow. That's often a prelude to getting stuck. I was miles back in off the main road, and on my own. I didn't want to mess around with a stuck Jeep! So, parked it, put on my snowshoes and my pack, and headed out afoot. No luck, but it was glorious being out there in the Big Quiet.
pDPVOTVl.jpg

By glassing, I found the mule deer. They were bedded down on sunny, south-facing slopes, as expected. Did not however find a cat or coyote. I shall persist! Rifle is the 308, with 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads and the 6x SWFA scope.
fMDHJ9Il.jpg

Terrific snowshoes! So happy with the little MSR shoes!
DekuZMSl.jpg

All set for poking around the snowy backroads. Survival gear & food, Max Trax, chains, winch, recovery strap, extra fuel, etc... The BFG KO2's are working great in the snow!
kFKyEZOl.jpg

I don't think this is going to be easy, but it gives me a worthwhile hunting project over the coming weeks and months.

Guy

Looks like a great day Guy! Nice looking Jeep too! You have chains in the beast also??

Yes sir! I picked up a set of those "diamond pattern" chains recently, but I have to admit, I try not to use the tire chains. They do ride in the Jeep every winter, like from Sept - April... :)

Guy

Very cool thanks for sharing. That is some very nice country. Eastern wa? I used to stomp around Okanogan and Colville areas. I just put a set of KO2's on my 4runner. They are doing great in the CO mountains.

Very cool Guy. Great pictures. Also, since you can't hunt behind dogs, is your primary strategy to just glass big country? Hope to cut fresh tracks? I've only seen two big cats in my time outdoors, and it just seems like it would be a needle in a haystack situation trying to find one without dogs.

The 125 BT out of a 308 is a real HAMMER ! Too many people dismiss that bullet as being too light, but it stands up exceedingly well for itself. Best of luck in your pursuit.

That is some beautiful country you're hunting. I wish you good luck in your endeavor of find a cat without dogs.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back