2018/11/27/fatal-wyoming-bear-attack-no-round-in-the-chambe

to me it sounds like neither of these guys had there act together enough in the moment for the status of the pistol to make a damned bit of difference. If I was that guide I am not sure what would make my odds of survival worse, getting chewed, on or having a guy shooting a 10mm pretty much right at me whilst chatting his pants.

I do find the correlation of source, and the articles conviction that a hot pistol would have saved his life, somewhat funny.

Gut wrenching!
To each his or her own. Myself, magazine is topped off with one in the chamber, holstered. I also carry bear spray. Occasionally both, sometimes one or the other. In general, I believe bear spray is the better of the two though both have their advantages.

Conservation officers were able to trap one of the bears, a yearling grizzly, and were charged by an adult grizzly sow in the vicinity of the attack site, which they were forced to kill. It was later determined that both bears were believed involved in the attack on Chubon and Uptain, and the yearling was subsequently euthanized by authorities.

I've let my guard down. Missed out on a bear on one occasion and an elk on another. Both, interesting enough, after a long dragging hike only to run across the intended game within 500 yards of the trailhead/vehicle. Identification of a threat is different than the intent to hunt though they both play into each other.

What a sad tragedy for all friends and family. Sad.

Back