Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Equipment for carrying hand-held radio

fattybinz

This past week I was on an antlerless mule deer hunt and was using a radio for the first time. (In a state where you can use radios to hunt) This is the one I used. I had a hard time storing it when it wasn't in my hands. I have a badlands xr but the main compartment has my binos and the bottom has my rangefinder. I tried sticking the radio over the binos so that the badlands front flap would still go around it and magnetically stick. It kept falling, especially when I forgot it was there when reaching for my binos. It was very awkward to use my hands to manage my trekking poles, binos, and radio...especially with gloves on. Anyone have any tips on what kind of equipment could be used to store this radio? I thought of using a waist pocket attached to my pack but I'd like it near my face so I can keep the volume low and still hear. The ideal piece of equipment would 1) attach to my bino harness/case so that I could still have my radio when I drop my pack on a stalk, 2) allow me to access the radio with one hand, and 3) keep the radio near my face so that I can reach up and speak into it without detaching it. The radio does come with a belt clip but I don't think I would trust it to hold on while hiking and pushing through oakbrush. Thanks

Would this work for you? You said you had a Badlands XR. I am assuming you may have a Badlands pack? You could run a mic up from the radio and attach it near your shoulder strap of your pack or if you wanted to attach it to your chest rig see photo #3.

fullsizeoutput_d.jpg

Your other option would be something like this where instead of having a GPS below the Bino, carry your radio in that position.

fullsizeoutput_12.jpg

And another option using a Badlands radio pouch and an attached mic that runs up the should strap of the chest harness.

IMG_3080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow thanks for the detailed response. Although I have a badlands xr, I run a MR Pintler as my pack. The solutions you proposed involving the mic are creative, but I want the speaker to be close to my face so that I can hear without having the volume loud enough to spook game. I did not even know that badlands has a radio pouch! That is perfect. Price is a little steep for what it is. I just ordered the pouch pictured below off amazon. Figured that for ~$8 it was worth a try. If I can attach it to one of the straps on top of my bino pouch, it will be close enough to my face. Since the XR's cover opens downward, I don't think it'll get in my way. Thanks again!

71LQ1gLF2iL._SL1215_.jpg

Those are the same radio/gps pouches I use from amazon and love them. They work very well. The photo of the person with the FHF harness and the Badlands radio pouch is a friend of mine. I actually carry my radio in my pack (first photo with the badlands pack and radio in the gun holster with an "N2TW Gear Lanyard") for the very reason you stated. I don't talk on it much at all in fear of spooking game. My personal view on radios is that it is something I use with my hunting buddy's to tell them their is an animal down or I need help. Last resort communication device. I use to hunt with an ear piece and mic but found that it detracts from being able to listen to my surroundings. I keep it on so I can hear the mic key up just incase my buddy's want to get in touch with me but rarely talk on it.

Great choice for a radio holster. They work well and are cheap. I have one on my chest harness and one on each one of my scouting packs.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_26.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_26.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 57
  • fullsizeoutput_12f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_12f.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 59
  • fullsizeoutput_123.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_123.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 58
Sorry, posted the wrong Images. Didn't mean to post the leg holster. I thought I chose two photos of my radio pouch. Attempted to edit but can't seem to delete them.

When I was hunting Arizona (radio legal) I ran into a bow hunter in the field that was wearing a Madonna headset of some kind. His brother was set up miles away with a spotting scope directing the stalk.

Hours later I saw him way down the canyon dragging a big buck .. must have worked.

Back