Caribou Gear Tarp

First time pronghorn hunt looking for a tag

Hey guys! I’m 21 and from southern Ohio, I’ve been elk and mule deer hunting in Idaho since I was 12. My dad took me on my first hunt and I’ve gone back solo every year since. I’ve been lucky enough to kill 8 mule deer including a 193” buck with my bow, and two cow elk with my bow. It’s taken me some time to get the elk hunting down but after several years of it I’m finally getting fairly efficient at it.
I’m wanting to give pronghorn hunting a try but honestly it’s the animal I have the least knowledge about. I see plenty of them while hunting Idaho and during the drive to and from Idaho but have no clue on the regulations in each specific zone. I’m going for a 2 week elk hunt this September and I’m hoping to find an antelope tag that would be open during that time. It would be great if the timing worked out to make a 6 day pronghorn hunt on my way to Idaho elk hunting. However as I said I’ve never done much research on it and haven’t bought any points for pronghorn anywhere so I’m at square one.
I’m wondering if there are any OTC units in Central Idaho or on the southern half of Wyoming open to non residents. Not looking for anyone’s honeyholes I just need a push in the right direction. If anyone has a couple zones they recommend looking into I’d really appreciate the help along with any advice you may have for a first timer. Thanks a lot guys!!! If anyone needs any info on idaho elk or Ohio whitetail hunting I’ll be happy to share any info I may have whether it be of use or not lol.

Can't really help you with hunt locations. I hunt them in Northeast Wyoming, on a big ranch.

I can tell you that they're an absolute blast to hunt, and that the meat is amazingly good.

Enjoy!

I’ve been elk and mule deer hunting in Idaho since I was 12. My dad took me on my first hunt and I’ve gone back solo every year since.

This really jumped out at me.. Have you really been going from Ohio to Idaho and hunting solo since age 13? If so consider me impressed.

As far as pronghorn, you'll have to enter the draw in Wyoming. There are units in the southeast part of the state that you have a decent shot at drawing, especially if you go special draw. Some units open rifle towards the end of September, some would be archery only during that period. The WGFD website has everything you need as far as research tools.

All units in Wyoming are by drawing, which ends May 31.
Look on the Wy Game and Fish website. Some zones are easier to draw, but usually are tough access. Many zones will.take several PPs to draw.

This really jumped out at me.. Have you really been going from Ohio to Idaho and hunting solo since age 13? If so consider me impressed.

As far as pronghorn, you'll have to enter the draw in Wyoming. There are units in the southeast part of the state that you have a decent shot at drawing, especially if you go special draw. Some units open rifle towards the end of September, some would be archery only during that period. The WGFD website has everything you need as far as research tools.

My initial reaction also

Yes a man my grandpa worked with forty years ago lives in Idaho close by to where I hunt. That’s how I found out about the area, the way I was able to go out solo was by flying to Idaho falls and Jim would pick me up and give me a truck to use for the week or drop me off at the trailhead and pick me up and check on me every three days. Learned a lot staying in the mountains alone but the first three years of elk hunting were rough considering my lack of experience. The last couple years I’ve had two friends ask to go but I love my solo week every year so I’ve started going out myself the first week then pick my friends up at the airport for the second week and one of them help me on the drive home at the end of the week, it works out well.
Thanks for all the info and advice guys I appreciate, I’ll look into it and give Wyoming game and fish a call

Go to the Wy Game and Fish website... you can see the draw odds, number of tags per unit, success rates, etc. Do a little homework and pick a unit and go. There are lopes in most every unit. Some of the limited access can be very limited. Google and hunting sites can be your friend. Put a little study time in and you can figure out a couple units to try.

I would recommend looking at a doe antelope tag to add on to your elk hunt. Tags are very affordable for a non resident and it will open a lot of options for areas you could go. If you are set on a buck tag you are probably going to need to look at the central eastern side of wyoming for a 0 PP tag. Also with doe tags you can likely pick up at least 2 tags to give you some additional opportunity or if you wanted to do an archery/rifle combo, which I expect you could do if you are allowing 6 days.

Last edited:
Back