PEAX Equipment

Sean Gerrity/American Prairie Reserve on Meateater

Free ranging bison in Central Montana where I grew up won't go over very good, not at all in fact.
I think I understand your skepticism due to the prevalent attitude which has expressed the opposition and even paranoia about the APR. What seems contradictory and even hypocritical is that United Property Owners of Montana (UPOM), the self-appointed property rights advocates organization, was spawned in that area of Montana and now the attitude is one criticizing a neighbor rancher from exercising a fundamental capitalistic private property right of "willing seller, willing buyer" transactions. Even more hypocritical is the attitude that "I am opposed to what YOU do on YOUR property."

miller, enough with the facts against paranoia........

Maybe a new sub-heading under the "Hot Topics" in the Huntalk Forums menu.
"Facts against Paranoia".
Of course, the definition of "Fact" is undergoing a fascinating transition - fate yet unresolved.
Nevermind.

I think I understand your skepticism due to the prevalent attitude which has expressed the opposition and even paranoia about the APR. What seems contradictory and even hypocritical is that United Property Owners of Montana (UPOM), the self-appointed property rights advocates organization, was spawned in that area of Montana and now the attitude is one criticizing a neighbor rancher from exercising a fundamental capitalistic private property right of "willing seller, willing buyer" transactions. Even more hypocritical is the attitude that "I am opposed to what YOU do on YOUR property."

I have zero care about the deeded lands they have purchased. I love the CMR and surrounding public lands. My concern is that the APR shouldn't get special treatment on public lands, period.

You can believe as you want but I have a much stake in those public lands as you do. If The APR comes to fruitition it is going to fundamentally and permanently change that landscape and once those bison become free ranging wildlife, they will have reduced the tax base, hit the local economy hard because the dollars ranchers spent will never come close to being replaced with tourism.

The local people get labeled as hicks, paranoid, hysterical, hypocritical etc, etc. Because they are skeptical and don't trust the players. I know I don't trust the money people behind the APR to give two shyts about the locals ergo I give two shyts about them. Color me as not believing this is the best thing ever like some want to believe.

If the argument is property rights, I will defend their property rights on their deeded lands to anyone who wants to debate it. Just no special treatment on public lands.

Nemont

Gerrity seemed really wishy-washy on any kind of intent to keep the APR open to hunting in the long run. However, he kept saying things about removing fences and eliminating the need to worry about corner hopping...which seems to imply that he envisions the land being open to hunters long term.

I think the goal of APR is fascinating and part of me thinks that in 20 or 30 years I will either be proud to say that I helped (financially) create the largest wildlife reserve (or park or whatever it ends up being) in the lower 48 or I will be embarrassed that I sat on the sideline and didn't contribute.

My question is this: Does it make more sense to contribute to something absolutely pro-hunting, like RMEF, which is improving public access and habitat all over the country? Or is something like APR so amazing that all of my (our?) philanthropic efforts should be focused there?

... largest wildlife reserve (or park or whatever it ends up being) ...
I think this fear of APR becoming a national park, with the requisite costs and not paying into the local tax base, is derived from APR vision and operating methodology of collaborating with DOI (BLM), National Wildlife Service, FWP and other governmental agencies. I don't read APR information and expressions as having any intent of transferring property to the federal government. IMO, it's another red herring of paranoia.

My question is this: Does it make more sense to contribute to something absolutely pro-hunting, like RMEF, which is improving public access and habitat all over the country? Or is something like APR so amazing that all of my (our?) philanthropic efforts should be focused there?
Personally, I see the value in contributing to both as they embrace different visions, both of which presently I support. Generally I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket ... as meager as my egg count may be.

They’re all fine ideas, but he shouldn’t try to sound like the smartest person in the room when he’s bringing up “new” ideas we’ve been fighting over for decades already. I was also shocked to learn that a resident MT elk tag is $20. Maybe they sell that many more if they cost basically nothing.

I second that.....

Overall its a grand idea that will need a ton of money and a ton of time to accumulate the land. Passing on land that is for sale because of the price tag or just the timing of it is a hard thing and will make this project go for a few life times before coming to fruition. I did see their visiting center getting built this fall. Interesting idea and we will see where it goes, by the time this project gets further down the road, they will have new management with new ideas..... so we will see where it goes with the hunting.

Interesting idea and we will see where it goes, by the time this project gets further down the road, they will have new management with new ideas..... so we will see where it goes with the hunting.
The more you pay attention, the more you realize, the only real constant in life is change. It's how you accept it ... pessimism or optimism ... that defines you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back