REI Magma 10

TX_Eric

Are any of yall running the REI Magma 10 bag? I've had my mind set on holding out for one of the new SG bags, however the price point and online reviews of the Magma 10 keeps me coming back to it. I'm curious in how well they have held up over time if you are running one. I only plan to use it 1-2 weeks per year.

I'm also curious what would I gain by purchasing a more expensive top tier bag?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I have no experience with the Magma 10 but my initial reaction is you should seriously consider an Enlightened Equipment quilt. They are extremely high quality and the price is right. You could get a 10 degree Revelation quilt for $300 plus they are offering 10% off between now and the end of the year. Also it will only weigh 23 oz compared to the Magma's 30 oz so you'll be saving weight. I've been using mine for a couple of seasons and haven't looked back.

I have a Magma 10, one of the previous versions. Good bag for the money.

I have a enlightened quilt and a montbell.....imo that montbell design is pretty top of the line it expands a little when a guy moves around so for broader guys they're not as claustrophobic. Haven't used the quilt enough to give it a solid review but I hope to in the upcoming spring and maybe even another sheep hunt so far I do really like it though you can't beat the weight.

Now that I'm looking at those EE quilts, I feel like that may be the way to go. Price is roughly the same and the quilts seem more versatile? My plan was to buy a 10 degree bag and run a liner if needed as I tend to sleep cold.

If I went with the revelation I think I'd go with a 0 degree and use it year round except in summer months. Would this be a solid plan?

I'm really trying to get the last of my gear together. Last year I drew tags, but with a baby on the way it got pushed off the priority list. Really trying to round out my gear with what is necessary to be safe with what will probably be a solo trip.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

If you're only going to be using the bag 1-2 weeks per year what sort of temperatures will be the norm?

I sleep in my bag 40+ nights per season but usually in warmer temps and rarely much colder than low 30s at night. I'm a cold sleeper so for this I have a 20 degree bag. I'm a weirdo and almost always wear a light merino bottom and top to bed. Sort of like pajamas I guess but I don't care for the feel of any sleeping bag material on my skin. If I'm cold, in addition to the merino, I can throw on my puffy pants and top. I've never not been able to sleep. This system works for me but gotta figure out what will work best for you.

Quilts can be great, it's really personal preference. I dont like them myself, I used one for a whole summer backpacking with the USFS in college. The Magma 10 got good marks from BackpackingLight. It'd be on my list in that price range.

It will vary. Nitghtime temps where I had tags this year were in the teens the first couple nights I would have been there, after that in the upper 20's and 30's. I dont have the intention on hunting when temps are less than that, but I'd rather have the extra insulation in case things were to change unexpectedly?

Don't overlook the pad when camping in cold temps. Especially with a quilt but even with a sleeping bag.

I don't have the magma, but I do own a lot of REI equipment including one of their down 20 degree bags (can't remember the model). Their stuff is good quality and can be found at a great price if you get it on sale. If it's of the specifications you want, I wouldn't worry about the build quality. It'll be good.

I, too, would recommend that you make sure to get a well insulated pad. That's even more important to your warmth than the quality of the bag itself.

It will vary. Nitghtime temps where I had tags this year were in the teens the first couple nights I would have been there, after that in the upper 20's and 30's. I dont have the intention on hunting when temps are less than that, but I'd rather have the extra insulation in case things were to change unexpectedly?
I kinda think of it the other way, in that I dislike carrying around more insulation than necessary. Just depends on how you look at it.

Teens is darn cold, I'd certainly want a zero degree and would probably still wear my puffy layers to bed. (I'm a cold sleeper though).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back