Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Canvas Tent Heat Without Local Firewood

I read article and keyword here is "advises". Nowhere does it say "illegal" nor "against the law". Just saying, not trying to cause any trouble. Btw, I did have to put my glasses on to read it....

Look again, literally the second sentence in the link provided.

Wyoming State Forestry Division advises that firewood be purchased and used locally to prevent the spread of native and invasive pests within state boundaries and to prevent pests from entering the state. Many visitors to Wyoming live in areas under quarantine for emerald ash borer, gypsy moth, and Asian longhorned beetle and it is illegal to move any regulated items including firewood from these quarantined zones into Wyoming.

Appears to be federal regulations on these quarantine areas as well as individual state rules and regulations about wood from those areas.

More info if you are interested.
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/moving-firewood.php

And that is just for EAB.

Last edited:
hmmm ... hunting season is just barely over for most and the trivial issues are already contentiously arising. 'Wonder if someone will suggest a lawsuit challenging the authority of a state to prevent nonresidents from transporting firewood interstate.

For any overly concerned about visitors arriving from "areas under quarantine for emerald ash borers" ... I say, "Get a life!"

hmmm ... hunting season is just barely over for most and the trivial issues are already contentiously arising. 'Wonder if someone will suggest a lawsuit challenging the authority of a state to prevent nonresidents from transporting firewood interstate.

For any overly concerned about visitors arriving from "areas under quarantine for emerald ash borers" ... I say, "Get a life!"

I can assure you that moving firewood and invasive pests like EAB are a big deal even if you don't think it is. Ever heard of zebra mussels, similar deal. Much like beetle kill in pine EAB has a huge impact, especially in our urban forests. If you get outside Montana and go East or South EAB is a really big deal in many communities. I know the City of Omaha spends over 1 million per year just removing ash trees in public spaces. Colorado is bracing for EAB and is already removing thousands of trees in preparation. It's a really big deal, I promise.

Some can't handle a conversation about moving firewood without getting upset so they take the conversation to personal chatter. Notice how I stay on topic, and others can't. Do better, it's Christmas. At least wait a day until you start back with telling people to get a life. It only reflects poorly on you when you act like that.

I promise if you look into the impact of EAB it is a really big deal outside Montana.

Merry Christmas!

I promise if you look into the impact of EAB it is a really big deal outside Montana.
We already know that! We even get reliable information flow here in rustic Montana. (and we have a critical horrible mussels problem here) You miss the whole point. I was not trying to come across as Montana-ignorant backwoods bumpkin, nor was my intent condescension ... please refrain from such.

Zebra mussels, firewood, produce, and a myriad of potentially harmful items may transmit diseases. Reasonable folks (to include hunters) opt to not transport / transmit such. It's not an issue that rises to the level of contentious debate illustrated by these couple of silly pages bantering about who-said-what. That's the point!

However the heating of canvas wall tents is germane to hunting. Carry / rant on.

I just got back from hunting public lands with a friend and our dogs - made the mistake of reading this thread.
Sytes, I, et al got shut down in the "gov. shutdown" thread and we were actually poking fun at one another.
This one began with how to heat a tent transforming to going "into the ditch" deep enough to wondering if anyone got "Christmas oral"??????
Must be different ditches on different roads.
By the way, a CO detector works as well in a tent as in a home, just to try to stay out of the ditch.
As often said on here - carry on.......................

We already know that! We even get reliable information flow here in rustic Montana. (and we have a critical horrible mussels problem here) You miss the whole point. I was not trying to come across as Montana-ignorant backwoods bumpkin, nor was my intent condescension ... please refrain from such.

Zebra mussels, firewood, produce, and a myriad of potentially harmful items may transmit diseases. Reasonable folks (to include hunters) opt to not transport / transmit such. It's not an issue that rises to the level of contentious debate illustrated by these couple of silly pages bantering about who-said-what. That's the point!

However the heating of canvas wall tents is germane to hunting. Carry / rant on.

I simply pointed out that there are rules for moving firewood into Wyoming.
unnamed.jpg

And if you were interested here is the Montana version.
http://dnrc.mt.gov/divisions/forestry/forestry-assistance/pest-management/dont-move-firewood

Key part of the article:
Do not move firewood across state lines

But as always you are entitled to make your own decisions on moving firewood. I just provide links for info.

Carry on and Merry Christmas!

I didn't want to use ba ba booey again or what I ate for breakfast....just trying to get a laugh to lighten the argument :cool: Shock and awe, yanno

Haha! I have a different sensation though if "shock" is yo thang, more power to ya!
:D

Oh, regarding the thread topic, umm - still waiting on my nucklehead friend to get back on his timer setup. Onpoint, speaking of CO, big +! Agree. :) Merry Christmas all!

wytex,

You need to ascertain if you are taking the wood from a quarantine area. If so, it’s illegal. If not, it’s legal. From there, a few things can determine if it’s a really bad idea or not.

We talked to a staff person with the Bighorn National Forest. They wanted to know:

Species of wood
Where harvested
Were we going to burn all of it (or take any leftovers home)
Was it dead, seasoned, etc (longer it’s been seasoned, the less concerned they were)

Edited for disclaimer: normally we either take a chainsaw or haul dimensional lumber scraps. Invasive and exotic diseases/critters are indeed a concern, but can also be mitigated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from hunting public lands with a friend and our dogs - made the mistake of reading this thread.
Sytes, I, et al got shut down in the "gov. shutdown" thread and we were actually poking fun at one another.
This one began with how to heat a tent transforming to going "into the ditch" deep enough to wondering if anyone got "Christmas oral"??????
Must be different ditches on different roads.
By the way, a CO detector works as well in a tent as in a home, just to try to stay out of the ditch.
As often said on here - carry on.......................

I half expected my bump stock post to go full melt-down, but never saw this coming. Seemed like a low risk topic. Folks must be on edge after all the holiday family time.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back