Caribou Gear Tarp

Canvas Tent Heat Without Local Firewood

VikingsGuy

From an earlier post, looks like I will be getting a Davis canvas tent shortly. No my challenge is how to keep it warm. Davis sells a wood burning stove that looks decent, but what do folks do in WY and other tree sparse areas for wood? Do you really drive in a week's worth of firewood from home? Or do folks bring propane heaters? Or convert stoves to pellet burners and bring a week's worth of pellets? Seems like a real hassle in any event.

It is against the law to transport firewood across state lines in most states. Cut it or buy it when you get there.

Plenty of people use propane heat in canvas tents. We have a Davis and use a Colorado Cylinder stove. I LOVE using wood to heat and there is never a worry about running out. If I were you I would think about where you will be hunting and truly examine the availability of wood.

A friend has a big buddy heater w/ a 40lb propane. has a tree type deal that has a hose to the camp grill, another to the big buddy and I believe there was a third attachment area. Cool added portion, he added a timer to the Big Buddy. That, there's one of 'dem edumacated smart ones!

Has me thinking it's time to store the chainsaw, splitting maul, etc... Younger age it was part of the experience. First day prep, etc... Now? I am over the excitement portion.

<edited: pictures are too darn big for the screen... you get the idea though.>

Last edited:
We made a propane tent heater out of a construction heater from Menards. Put a band of sheet metal around the top area that is open to seal it off then cut a 4 inch hole in side about half way down and fasten a 4 Inch pipe over the hole then run chimney pipe out of tent, works really good and can run it all week on about 50 lb of propane. We also found out that if you run a 12 volt fan blowing across stove it circulates heat very well John

Just be aware that any unvented propane heater puts moisture directly into the air. For this reason, and CO, I personally would never use one.

A friend has a big buddy heater w/ a 40lb propane. has a tree type deal that has a hose to the camp grill, another to the big buddy and I believe there was a third attachment area. Cool added portion, he added a timer to the Big Buddy. That, there's one of 'dem edumacated smart ones!

Has me thinking it's time to store the chainsaw, splitting maul, etc... Younger age it was part of the experience. First day prep, etc... Now? I am over the excitement portion.

I'm curious what you mean by "added a timer" to the big buddy? You mean a timer hooked to a valve that shuts off the flow of propane?

The only thing we don't like about our Big Buddy is the damn noisey battery eating fan. We bought two little tent fans that also have lights. Have used one at both ends and can get a week out of them using the AA,s. We have hoses and the stand to use with the big bottles so we can power the Camp Chef and lantern at the same time.

I'm curious what you mean by "added a timer" to the big buddy? You mean a timer hooked to a valve that shuts off the flow of propane?
Not sure. Reaching out to him to get the info. He is a mechanical engineer and loves to tinker around.

The only thing we don't like about our Big Buddy is the damn noisey battery eating fan. We bought two little tent fans that also have lights. Have used one at both ends and can get a week out of them using the AA,s. We have hoses and the stand to use with the big bottles so we can power the Camp Chef and lantern at the same time.

My issue is they don't work when it's really really cold. The small bottles will freeze up once it gets below 0 and you start running. They get ice all over the outside and won't work. So you have to preheat the propane canisters before they are used. PITA when you are freezing you ass off in a tent.

And as mentioned the moisture is a pain when it gets cold as everything is damp.

There are some passive pellet stoves for tents that look really nice.
https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/non-electric-pellet-stoves

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably should dig a little deeper, which we did prior to bringing wood from MT to WY this fall.

Only if it’s from a quarantine area. Always check before you spread misinformation like that.

LOL. You said Wyoming had no laws regulating out of state firewood being brought into the state. Clearly your statement was not accurate. Now you are mad because I proved you wrong.

Yes there are rules regulating firewood being brought into Wyoming. Glad we got that straight.

The only person spreading misinformation here is you. I am simply trying to make sure your incorrect statements are corrected as some people like yourself obviously don't check the rules on firewood movement which there are plenty of. Also why I provided a link to confirm my statement was correct.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back