Canvas Tent Heat Without Local Firewood

I use large lumps of coal that I buy in Sheridan, Wyoming. Works great and is less work, and mess than wood.

One time I saw a smallish, terrier type dog back up to a tree and proceed to back his hind end up the tree to get higher than the Pomeranian that had just peed on it.

Good point JDH, a phenomenon analogous to internet churlishness.;)

Print this out and burn it???

It is a rare environment that will not provide enough wood somewhere reasonably close, even if you have to slum it with cottonwood.

If you go the coal route you will still need some wood to get it going, and a stout stove or grate/dirt to protect the bottom, stinks up a whole valley too.

For heating a tent without dealing with firewood this unit looks hard to beat and simple to use.
https://www.campsaver.com/zodi-x-40...MI7NeThefA3wIVpRx9Ch2J2QfxEAQYASABEgI05_D_BwE

The downside of the buddy heaters is they do not vent which has a few issues like condensation and CO poisoning. This unit seems to solve both those issues by venting outside. Even the typical propane weed burner lit inside a wood stove would likely accomplish this.

This one is really slick.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zodi-Hot-V...=item3fb4ff888d:g:lnAAAOSwFAtcG8xM:rk:28:pf:0

Last edited:
It is a rare environment that will not provide enough wood somewhere reasonably close, even if you have to slum it with cottonwood.

Places in eastern WY can be pretty bare. My great-grandparents resorted to burning cow pies collected on the prairie (western ND) to keep them warm in the winter in their sod roof hut, but I do not plan on revisiting that family experience.

Vikingsguy I have a knico stove, and a four dog, you are welcome to try either or both. I'm just a few miles north of you.

Look at Denver tent before you buy, search it on this forum. I think they may have been an original sponsor of OYOA.

Come to think of it, you are welcome to try the Denver tent also.....

wytex,

You need to ascertain if you are taking the wood from a quarantine area. If so, it’s illegal. If not, it’s legal. From there, a few things can determine if it’s a really bad idea or not.

We talked to a staff person with the Bighorn National Forest. They wanted to know:

Species of wood
Where harvested
Were we going to burn all of it (or take any leftovers home)
Was it dead, seasoned, etc (longer it’s been seasoned, the less concerned they were)

Edited for disclaimer: normally we either take a chainsaw or haul dimensional lumber scraps. Invasive and exotic diseases/critters are indeed a concern, but can also be mitigated.

Thanks for the info JLS. Seems interesting as we haul oak and pecan and no known problems with it. Have hauled ash too but always dry and seasoned. We already have EAB in Wyoming, in from Colorado and MPB and SBB in our forest west of town and in town so not sure what they may be troubled by.
Dunnage is also a good source of wood to use.

I offered it to WYTEX but he didn't want it so if any of you folks in Laramie need some fire wood I have a pile of mostly hardwood that you can have. I burn wood chips, not fire wood so I have no use for it.

Get a stove that does pellet and wood, pellets will let you sleep all night without adding more to it during the night too...and you still get the dry heat. Not like with propane and the moisture...that just plain sucks.

Get a stove that does pellet and wood, pellets will let you sleep all night without adding more to it during the night too...and you still get the dry heat. Not like with propane and the moisture...that just plain sucks.

I have a hard enough time packing in pellets for the horses!

That's why we always take a 70 year old in camp....They are up every 2 hours to pee so they keep the fire stoked.

We already have EAB in Wyoming,

In an effort to educate and not spread misinformation I want to let you know that this is not accurate. We do not have EAB. The closest location to Wyoming with EAB is Boulder Colorado.

We do not have EAB in Wyoming, and hope to keep it that way.

I was thinking about this thread at the Rooted in Laramie board meeting this week and all of the city forester trucks from Cheyenne had stickers reminding people not to move firewood. I would know if we had EAB as I am friends with the city foresters in Laramie and Cheyenne, we work together on tree planting projects.

Interestingly enough I looked up the Texas issues in much of the state is under quarantine from EAB, soapberry boarer, fire ant, and laurel wilt.
https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/texas/
I would much prefer to keep all of that in Texas and not bring it to Wyoming. If you ever need a source for wood in Laramie let me know as I can get you as much urban wood as you want without driving to the mountain and the pole peeling operation out on 230 has ends you can get for free.

Out of curiosity why did you think we had EAB in Wyoming?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back