MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Unit Ideas?

rjlefty3

My dad and I went on our first western hunt together in WY a few years back. He loved it while we were there, but slowly drifted away with other things in life. This past summer he had open heart surgery - and suddenly he's thinking about trying again.

It will probably only be a 2020 hunt for us, so at that point we'll have 6 points between the two of us.

Trying to research what would be some decent units to go after with 3 points. I plan on bowhunting, likely a few days prior to rifle season. Not sure if he plans on bowhunting too, but either way the main goal is for him to get a buck.

We aren't really focused on trophy quality. We aren't going to pass anything with decent prongs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to shoot a giant goat...but that's not what this hunt will be about. I would just like to not be limited on options, so mainly looking for a unit with good access, a good number of goats, and preferably bowhunter friendly.

Not looking for anything specific, just some starting points and anything I can do to somewhat limit my unit options. I'd appreciate any advice/experience anyone has!

There's plenty of information on this Forum and several of the other big websites if you just do your homework, especially if you aren't going until 2020. Plenty of time spent on the F&G website in the draw odds and Hunt Planner section along with the Public Access section for the WIHAs and HMA that are available will take you where you need to go. Also, take into consideration what will probably be some point creep more than what you will see if you were going this coming season with 3 PPs.

Last edited:
Planning on trying for the regular draw or the special draw? The answer will get you some better feedback. If you’re afraid your opportunities with your Dad are limited, I’d go with the special (that’s what I’m doing with my Dad this fall). I was through 73 last fall - lots of animals, even a couple weeks in. Lots of tags there too, but going later might help with that. Also a unit you could hunt out of Casper giving you more options accommodation wise. Good luck.

Planning on trying for the regular draw or the special draw? The answer will get you some better feedback. If you’re afraid your opportunities with your Dad are limited, I’d go with the special (that’s what I’m doing with my Dad this fall). I was through 73 last fall - lots of animals, even a couple weeks in. Lots of tags there too, but going later might help with that. Also a unit you could hunt out of Casper giving you more options accommodation wise. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! We're not opposed to special - honestly hadn't thought about that part all that much yet. If it would make the difference between an 'ok' and 'good' unit, I would 100% use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back