Has anybody here tried the ABLR on elk?

std7mag

Ok, with all the bullet discussions i thought i'd throw this out there.

Shooting 280 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm Rem Mag. All like the 150gr. ABLR.

Has anyone used this on elk?
How did it perform?

Yes, I won’t shoot them anymore. I’ve switched over to the regular Accubond. The ABLR is meant for long range at low velocity for best performance. Up close with velocity they expand very rapidly and cause a lot of meat damage. You will be picking out a lot of small fragments of lead out of a large area. There was virtually nothing left but shrapnel and no exit would on a upper neck shot.

Yes, My buddy and I both shot them this year. I shot a cow at 375yrds with my .30 Nosler with the ABLR210Gr. Dead cow, no extra damage. My buddy shot his cow at 175 yrds with a .28 Nos with the the ABLR and same result. I didn't notice anything different than regular AB, which I shoot with my 300WM

Have not shot anything closer than that yet. The ABLR is suppose to work over a wider range of distances, where the AB needs velocity behind it to expand

I wouldn't say your experience doesn't count.
Experience is experience.
Otherwise it's just theory.

The accubond are tough and accurate just like the partitions. Accuracy comes in when fine tuning the loads to your rifle. And what works great in one gun may or may not work great in another.. I found out the hard way..lol

It's tough to draw conclusions from isolated/random cases across the internet. FWIW, my son used an ABLR on a nice 6x6 this past season, one well placed shot and he had a dead bull, without anything unusual as far as meat loss. The last bull I shot was with the white-tipped AB, same results; one shot, nothing unusual in meat loss. Does that mean the two bullets are equal? I'll most likely continue with my ABs and he'll keep using ABLRs - for now.

Used a 168 lrab out of a 280 Ackley. Put two into a cow elk at just under 300 yards and as far as I know they are both still going. Watched an Aoudad shot at 400 yards through both shoulders with a 175 lrab and it blew right on through

I used to get all geeked out about the BC of a bullet. Over the last couple years or so it has become a secondary concern. I'd rather have a bullet that will still perform at close ranges at the expense of BC. It takes a lot of yardage to see any advantage anyway. If I was the OP, I'd get a box of the white tipped ones in 160 grain. Bad ass elk bullet in a 7. mtmuley

I used to get all geeked out about the BC of a bullet. Over the last couple years or so it has become a secondary concern. I'd rather have a bullet that will still perform at close ranges at the expense of BC. It takes a lot of yardage to see any advantage anyway. If I was the OP, I'd get a box of the white tipped ones in 160 grain. Bad ass elk bullet in a 7. mtmuley

I agree with this. I dabbled with the ABLR and ended up back with the 160 grain regular ol accubond in my 7 mag. Put 2 elk, 2 mule deer, and a lope in the dirt from 250 to 630 yards this season.

I agree with this. I dabbled with the ABLR and ended up back with the 160 grain regular ol accubond in my 7 mag. Put 2 elk, 2 mule deer, and a lope in the dirt from 250 to 630 yards this season.

This is why I shoot the 160 Accubond in my new rifle. No need to take a chance again.

Reviews on the ABLR are all over the place. As bad as the ELD-X. I got some as soon as they came out, the 210 in .30 was first. At some point I figured out burning powder on every new bullet was useless when I had loads that worked for me for years. Hammers are all I'm going to fool with for now. mtmuley

300 or thereabouts is my limit. I shot my mulie this year at 330. I don't think this whole "long range" hunting trend is a particularly good thing, but what do I know.

I'm easily good with a target at 600 yards. But that's not an animal.
Last year spotted group of does at 550 yards, i closed the distance till they started getting a little fidgety, 413 yards. Made an improvised bench rest with folding seat and backpack. Let me make almost the perfect heart shot.
Caught lots of crap over that shot. But from experience i knew i could make it.

I'm not planning on trying anything over 400 on an elk. And it needs to be where i know i can make the shot.

That being said, i'm thinking of switching to the Partition. A proven performer under any circumstance.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I tried the regular Accubond with no sucess. I really wanted them to group well, but no matter what i did my rifle just didn't like them.
The ABLR is shoots very well out of all the rifles i've tried them in.
Same can be said for the Partition..

I shot a cow elk with one, from a 7mm-08. Impact velocity was probably between 2400-2500fps. It was recovered under the hide on the off-side, about 60% weight retention. So, I can't complain about that at all, but at the same time, I would be a bit nervous about pushing it really fast if you thought close shots were apt to happen. Unless I knew I was going to be shooting from long range, I think I'd prefer the regular accubond, or something similar.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back