125 vs 100 hr broadhead

Dieseldog

Been shooting 100 gr broadhead forever. Now I'm not caught up in the speed speed speed hype. Shoot a Halon 32 at 65lb. I'm thinking of switching next year to 125gn broadheads. Any reason not too switch? Thinking there is no way it can hurt.

Just make sure your arrow spine is heavy enough.

I shoot a 60lb draw and have gone back and forth between 100 and 125 (deer vs elk). I literally don't see a huge difference in speed or arrow drop until I get out past 40yrds (13 archery elk and my longest shot ever was last season at 61yrds). The penetration factor is proven. The heavier broadheads/arrow will penetrate more (how much more and is it worth it???). I guess you have to ask yourself if the pros and cons of a little less speed/drop at distance beyond 40yrds vs a LITTLE extra penetration is worth it. This is an age old argument and there are countless factors that can play into a multitude of reason why and when to used a heavier broadhead. You will get all kinds of opinions on this. Much of it will depend on your hunting style and the game you hunt. If I am in eastern Washington hunting whitetails (string jumpers) I want the fastest arrow I can fling. If I am hunting Elk or black bear its penetration I want most. Accuracy is a function of practice practice practice so to me debating that to me is a non argument.

It's really up to what your bow set up likes. I shot 100 grains out of my old hoyt and mathews, but when I got my old elite it liked 125's better, and so does my new PSE. It's really up to your bow, not personal preference.

Aside from the trajectory difference, you will also gain a little higher FOC%. So many factors to consider in the overall scheme of things.

FWIW, I think that what you gain in penetration is worth the trade off on distance on elk. It's also worth it on the speed decrease. I also leave my bowsetup the same if its mulie, antelope, elk, whitetail or whatever. Never had an issue and I know exactly what my setup will do at each distance. I switched the the QAD Exodus, 125gr this year and got pass throughs on everything from 19 yards to 61 yards.

I really like having an arrow FOC around 10-15%. For me that means a 125 gr broadhead, I use 30” arrows. FOC is pretty easy to calculate.

I like a heavier arrow. I personally shoot a 500ish grain arrow at 30" at a 30.5" draw and 73lbs out of a Halon 32.

Pros to a heavier point"
Higher foc will help guide arrow in flight especially crosswinds
Will penetrate more
Heavier broadheads can be built a little more stout but not always
And you can run a heavier spine to get weight up if you load weight in the front of the shaft.
Heavier arrows absorb more energy making them quiter and more efficient

Cons:
Slower (can be mitigated with practice judging distance)
Less broadheads selection especially in mechanicals
Could weaken arrow spine too much and cause poor arrow flight/ hard to tune

Back