Idea for Youtube series

Plagioclase

Not sure if this is the right place but if not let me know and I'll move it. How about a Youtube series based on elk food during Sept to Nov? After buying and reading the Jack Ward Thomas book, I did searches in the various tables/lists of preferred foods. I wish i could have something other than a picture to go by.

It might be tough to cover every state and situation but it would help eastern guys like me to know what grasses, forbs, browse elk are eating, especially when they hit sanctuary mode. I would think northern CO, southern WY could be combined, central MT, western MT, UT as a whole, etc...

BTW Randy is costing me money with his Youtube and podcasts :cool:

There are diet studies out there, but it'd be tough to draw the "lines" of where and when they eat what because of noise in the data. For instance, you'd find Geranium viscossimum in nearly every WY mountain mule deer's summer diet. For some individuals it might comprise 20% of their diet at any given time, for others 60%. That's why we'd typically just call it a tall forb habitat type or ecological site, and know that most of what they consume is coming from that suite of species. And that's assuming that dietary preference is what's driving consumption of that particular forage and use of that habitat type; which is maybe reasonable in the summer, but it get's real complicated during hunting season.

I get that but - I wouldn't know the difference between Gernium viscossium and a Geranium you buy at Walmart for Christmas.

In my view, the point of the series would be to identify some common elk foods, maybe from the list/tables found in the Jack Ward Thomas book. For example, I'd bet not many easterners would know what big blue stem looks like but it seems to show up in elk stomachs alot according to studies of such things. Or the various wheatgrasses or brome. I know what big blue stem looks like because I looked for it with a plant book in hand but wouldn't really know the wheatgrasses unless someone pointed them out.

Just a thought.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back