Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Great North Kaibab Deer Hunt of 2018

dalbo

In 2008 some friends and I drew deer tags for 12A West. We went into that hunt blindly thinking big deer would be everywhere and ended up getting our butts handed to us. Wanting redemption, I've been trying to draw that tag ever since.

Fast forward to this summer, I got wind that cards were getting hit and was shocked to see a new charge on my credit Card from AZGFD. I giddily texted my friends and dad, "Holy sh__, guess what...We're going to the Kaibab!!!".

My dad is getting older and has been wanting to hunt the Kaibab for the last few years so I put him on our application figuring it would be his best chance since he didn't have many bonus points but I did. Unfortunately the hunt dates conflicted with a medical mission to Honduras he does every year with his church. He had already committed and bought his plane tickets so he begrudgingly transferred his tag to my nephew Mason who had just passed his hunter education class. Mason lucked into one heck of a first hunt!

IMG_0645.jpg

In all we had four tags to fill, Mason's, my friend's (Nate and Brian) and my own. My brother in law, brother and Nate and Brian's dad came to help out as well.

Opening morning we took Mason and hunted the Warm Fire burned area. He was tempted by a tasty looking two-point that walked by at 100 yards but decided to pass. The second morning I went by myself to check out a mid-elevation area where the Forest Service had done some prescribed fires 3-5 years ago. I was still hunting along a series of finger ridges and spotted four does and a nice looking buck following a trail that would bring them right below me. An odd internal dialog began in my head, the primal part of my brain began shouting, "you need to shoot that buck, those does are going to get your wind in another 30 yards, you won't get another chance, shoot him now, SHOOT!!!"...BOOM.

The analytic part of my brain didn't have a chance to object that it was only the second day and that it took ten years to get back to this unit. I did feel a sense of relief when I tagged the buck and began breaking him down. The pressure was off, I could relax a little and help the rest of the crew fill their tags.

IMG_0614.jpg

Day three found us glassing across a canyon, watching deer move in and out of openings in the oak brush. Mason is not only a new hunter but also new to pooping in the woods. Partway through the morning he summoned the courage to give it a try. About two minutes after Mason set off to find a secluded spot to do his business a big three point stepped out into an opening. Unfortunately the deer disappeared back into the brush just before Mason came back.

Day four we did some still hunting in the area where I killed my buck. My brother in law spotted a two point moving through the trees a few hundred yards out, the buck wouldn't stop and it was too far to chance a moving shot. The deer was traveling a semi-circular line so we decided to try and cut him off. As we came over a little rise the buck was now looking into the sun and walking towards us trying to figure out what we were. The buck turned broadside at 80 yards and Mason made a great shot, dropping the deer in his tracks.

MV.jpg
KM.jpg
ST.jpg

We spent the next day skinning and cutting up meat. I helped Vince and Mason pack up so they could make it home for Halloween.

That afternoon I went with Nate and Brian to a lower elevation area where Nate had missed a long shot at a big buck the day before. After bouncing around to different glassing spots on this point for a half-hour my eyeballs about popped out of my head. I spotted the biggest bodied buck I've ever seen bedded in the shade of a juniper about 800 yards away. I couldn't get a clear view of his antlers in the shade but when the buck moved his head I could kind of make out a massive frame swinging from side to side. I called the guys over to have a look and Brian was up to bat. We made a plan and picked out some good landmarks around the buck. Nate and I stayed back to glass as Brian set off to a finger ridge halfway between us and the buck.

To be continued...

Last edited:
I would love to visit, nevermind hunt, the Kaibab. That must have been an amazingly good time.

Did you see any of the black tassel-eared squirrels (aka Kaibob Squirrels?)

We lost site of Brian when he entered the thick junipers on the finger. We just continued to watch the buck and hope he could get a shot from that position. He ended up crawling into the center of a juniper and using the limbs as a makeshift rest. Brian held it together and made a heck of a shot from 350 yards. It was amazing to watch everything unfold and be part of taking such an incredible animal.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Day six we decided to check out the burn area we visited opening morning. We set a goal of finding Nate a deer that was somewhere between Brian's and mine. Luckily for us a buck fitting just that description came over the hill behind us and stood there broadside at 80 yards back lit by a beautiful red sunrise.

IMG_0639.jpg

This was by far the best and most fun hunt I've ever been on and I'm extremely thankful we had the opportunity to spend this time together. Now I just need to get my dad a tag up there.

IMG_0647.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to visit, nevermind hunt, the Kaibab. That must have been an amazingly good time.

Did you see any of the black tassel-eared squirrels (aka Kaibob Squirrels?)

I didn't see a ton of the Kaibab squirrels, maybe five a day. Mason did shoot one with the .22 pellet gun, they are sure cool looking squirrels.

The Kaibab is a very cool place to visit, it's even cooler with a tag in your pocket though :cool:

If you're looking for a good excuse to go, there are usually several hundred leftover fall turkey tags available for that unit.

Don't kid yourself that squirrel is even better eating than the deer. By a sizable margin.

The Kaibab is a hell of a haul from here. I'd have to turn around and come home the instant I got there. But someday....

Congratulations on a wonderful hunt. All of the bucks are great, but that one...……….jeeeeez. I've been lucky to hunt there 6 times with a rifle and twice with a bow. I'm due for a tag next year lol. Congratulations again and thanks for sharing

That’s a dandy deer! Congrats!Those are some real neat looking squirrels also, love to get a chance to go there one day!

Great Bucks and congrats . I killed a big one there on the late hunt. I don't want to steal Your thunder here. I will have to post Him this weekend. What a great place God created . Hunting Deer north of the Canyon and Elk south of the Canyon. Again congrats......BOB!

Congrats on a great hunt for all of you. Just havibg a chance to see the type of buck your friend Brian took is worth 10 years of applying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back