New release.

Chuckchapman1

Last night shooting my old tired used bow trying to get a scored round ahead in my archery league and my release broke mid pull. Not terrible but It managed to take out my string on the way out and ended up with a bloody nose and a nasty string slash. So long story short I need a string and release. I’ve used a wrist strap and trigger but have been thinking about a thumb trigger release. Is there an accuracy difference or just preference? On a tight budget trying to save every penny for my first Wyoming antelope tag.

I like thumb releases a lot of people do, I switched to a hinge last spring and will probably stick with that. Hinges are expensive though. Save some money and go to a pro shop to try out different styles.

For me switching from a trigger was a huge accuracy and comfort bonus.

Accuracy will be relative. If you trigger slap or target panic, then mobing to a back tension could help you improve accuracy. You also need to determine what your stabdard of accuracy will be. I can hit an 8" plate at 80 yards, 10/10 with my trigger release, so I dont see a need to move off of it. I wont shoot past that, if that far, so I dont see the need to spend the money.

^I agree with 406. It's relative. I would think that if it would be more comfortable and natural for you, then you may see some increase in accuracy.

Look into John Dudley's Silverback release. It is a true tension release (you have to pull to get it to fire). It will completely change your shot/accuracy. The release, and other true back tension releases, will be a game changer as you learn to hold your pin on target, get comfortable with it floating around, and then pull through the shot for a true surprise release each time. Its $200 but worth every freaking penny in the accuracy and what it teaches you about your shot.

I love a thumb trigger if you shoot correctly with back tension. If you get a thumb trigger bite the bullet and get a better quality one to start with. The cheaper ones have sloppy triggers and are just not a smooth as a higher quality thumb release. If possible I would look at a resistance activated release or a hinge style release first to learn proper back tension technique before going to a thumb trigger. It will teach you to pull through the shot instead of just hitting the trigger. If you can get proper back tension and follow through your accuracy will go through the roof. As Randy ulmer said a trigger on a release only teaches you how to punch a trigger.

Back