Montana’s Culture of Leniency Toward Poaching

I understand that.
90% of this crime, except the the actual kill site- on private- took place on a federal wildlife refuge. It’s too bad none of that was charged.

Last edited:
Public pressure can work on judges and politicians, I have observed this first hand regarding drunk driving laws and sentencing in Virginia. When I started my law enforcement career 30 years ago, every Friday a lady from the local mothers against drunk driving chapter would attend court, sit in the front row and take notes on every drunk driving case. The presiding judge knew she was there and I believe this influenced his sentencing of convicted drunken drivers. The same might be done on G&F violations.

Concerning the huge fines handed out for game violations, I would guess most are never actually paid by the defendants. Our G&F officers recently arrested a man for poaching elk and deer, he was sentenced to 7 years in prison and fined 25k, I doubt the state will ever see a dime of that money.

Billings PD took over 6 hours to respond to my house for a buglery, 3 hours when my company Polaris Ranger and trailer was stolen.
But they wasted no time calling trying to shut me up, telling me to cease and desist, about posting the truth from publicly available records about this guy.
Unreal

I wished I had facebook and new how to share your info so I to could help make a poacher famous.

Pretty sure that there is a amendment that covers free speech. I would think posting the truth is a freedom we have, what could the cops even do. It would be a civil matter anyway.

That’s definitely the stance I took.
The whole time on the phone I thought it was total bullshit and was just somebody he knew hoaxing me. I got the officers name, supervisor and report number and called the BPD. They verified it was legit.

Total BS. Nothing they can or will do, and as Ron White says ‘I may have the right to remain silent, but. not. The ability.

Wow!!! Billings PD or MCSO try to censor your legal speech?

There is a big difference between censoring speech and informing someone an anti-harassment order could be filed (not necessarily granted).

A week or two ago, Matt Cool was busted trespassing on the NBar picking antlers.
Tracks resembling those on his tracked ATV he was using are reportedly all over the Little Snowies, off-road on both public and private lands.

There is one thing to feed your family but wanton waste of a public resourse should be good for at least 5 years with a multiplier for each count. In the late 60s one of the locals single handedly killed all the big bulls in 124 for money and was hooked up with a taxidermist in Denver. Well documented in Montana outdoors at the time. By crossing state lines the Lacy act was evoked and it came out of the local courts.

For a problem child like this maybe its time to sit down with a legislator for some law modification.

This story blows me away 1st what this guy did then the PD tring to keep MT gomer from talking about it that is nuts!!! we should take out a few bill boards around the area, like others have stated their is a little thing called the 1st amendment
But I think poaching has a lite sentence in many states Pa is the same we had some elk poached one was 460 class annd they didnt get what they should have either

Now if only everyone could get this wound up over the crimes committed against people as well, we'd really have something going. Dont get me wrong, the OP is absolutely correct - this type of sh*t needs to get to a vote where the penalties can be stiffened...but hey, as a nation we have done away with mandatory minimums for all but the most heinous of crimes. Unfortunately, the FEAR of punishment is ALL that keeps some marginal citizens from doing truly bad things...remove that fear and you see here what you get in exchange.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back