More Public Land Politics

I'm a lurker and not much of a contributor, but I want to address this:

I am a low level federal seasonal employee who is currently in the middle of trying to initiate winter field work. The threat of a shutdown is absolutely creating problems. We are trying to hire workers who have no idea if they will actually have a job to go to in January, people who have been hired and are in a bunkhouse (are they going to be kicked out/lights turned off?), private vendors and small local businesses that we are trying to contract with don't know if they should proceed with agreed upon work, we lose out official means of communications. These are just a few examples.

The shutdown ultimately costs more money than actually funding the work being done. Employees will likely get back pay, but money is lost on unfilled and cancelled contracts, engagements and reservations. The rapport that many of us try to build with the local businesses is can also be squandered.

The shutdown will hurt those involved in this winter's field season.

Thank you for bringing up a very valid point. People forget there are humans involved in Big Government.

Jeezus Sytes.
I can freely admit that I am anti GOP, the party who blatantly, consistently, and proudly assault everything that is "hunters who prefer to hunt without guides, on public lands".
Can you freely admit that you pose as a concerned "anti-extremist nonpartisan" while either being blatantly just pro GOP or just as much blatantly anti DEM?
You do provide an interesting humor............

Aww see, I knew you could find your way back home.

Last edited:
Aww see, I knew you could find your way back home.

I've been right at home with the same old message for almost 30 years before I joined the internet world.
Trying my best to take care of stuff that guys like you and me spend a hell of a lot of time engaged in.
We inherited it from some folks who took it pretty seriously some time ago.
I'll be taking advantage their past efforts and hunting some public land this afternoon.
Least I can do is spend time living up to that example they set............

Thank you for bringing up a very valid point. People forget there are humans involved in Big Government.

Agree. Most Fed employees are furloughed - though receive pay for their time furloughed at a later date... least that has been the precedent. It is not guaranteed nor a requirement. Other, Mission critical positions must work without pay... though as stated, precedent has paid us in due time. Added stress to the overall situation. As is evident - America has become polarized within trench warfare of beliefs. Some support the D's some support the R's... some are caught between the bullets and gas - WW I type stalemate loss to all.

Someone close to me who is 25 year full time professional DOI employee-with-no-political-agenda (just wants to do their job) and I have been watching this unfold the last two days. She has been through this scenario a few times before. She's quite sure they'll get paid yet once again but equally sure she's tired of being treated like a pawn in agenda driven bureaucratic ideologic games.
And yes, there are people diligently working for the public, as fed employees, who will actually experience negative effects should this closure take place.
The new normal...............

So reading that link, it should be taken up again later this month and Lee won't be able to singlehandedly stop it. Good stuff.

In the online circles I frequent, it's disgusting to see how much fawning goes on over Mike Lee. The social conservatives and libertarians all love him. One of the few people they are united behind.

So reading that link, it should be taken up again later this month and Lee won't be able to singlehandedly stop it. Good stuff.

In the online circles I frequent, it's disgusting to see how much fawning goes on over Mike Lee. The social conservatives and libertarians all love him. One of the few people they are united behind.

If you dig into the bowels of the Senate rules a lone senator with tries/leverage with the Majority Leader can effectively shelve legislation - now of course if the Majority Leader chooses too he can push past that, but lone majority party dissents carry more sway than one would think.

Last edited:
If you dig into the bowels of the Senate rules a loan senator with tries/leverage with the Majority Leader can effectively shelve legislation - now of course if the Majority Leader chooses too he can push past that, but lone majority party dissents carry more sway than one would think.

This.

Add that the 2020 cycle is going to be viscous for some R senators and there is a decent shot at getting LWCF reauthorized, but the ideology of the UT crowd doesn't really care about individual re-election, just enforcing their vision on the rest of us.

This.

Add that the 2020 cycle is going to be viscous for some R senators and there is a decent shot at getting LWCF reauthorized, but the ideology of the UT crowd doesn't really care about individual re-election, just enforcing their vision on the rest of us.

Absolutely, the speaker should be concerned about those Rs in 2020 and beyond. Several of them are vulnerable. Why put them at risk because you've got a boner for Mike Lee? We play politics in my office and sometimes you can position yourself beyond where others, even friends, are willing to stand with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back