Caribou Gear Tarp

Fresh start with optics for western hunts

No firm plans yet, but thinking we'll start with pronghorn or an OTC elk tag this year, mostly just to get out there and get the lay of the land. Then decide where to go based on tags cost and availability etc.

I think I'll get the tripod and pan head first, then decide where to go from there.

I honestly think you'll be fine with your Diamondbacks for at least your first trip. After that you'll have a good idea of what you'll want as far as glass goes. But for wildlife viewing from your deck, I could totally see getting on board with a higher end spotting scope. If that and long range shooting are your primary purpose I would go that route and plan on upgrading binos at a later date.

Well I sent my Diamondbacks to Vortex for some repairs. The eyecups had come unglued, and the rubber housing also - I think the glue doesn't hold up to the cold very well. If they end up sending a new pair, I'll sell them and upgrade to the Vipers. If they just repair them, I'll keep using them for now. First investment will be a good tripod and head, as that will be useful for everything. Going to borrow a few spotters before deciding whether I value the small size and portability over improved optics. Who knows, maybe I'll even go up to an 85mm, which is the opposite of what my current thoughts are, but it really seems to come down to personal preference, so I gotta play around before deciding.

hint, hint MAVENS

I actually upgraded from Redfield Rebels I got for $100 to Maven c1s based on all the good feedback I saw here and other places. I honestly can't tell any difference between the two but I am relatively new to hunting so maybe I just don't know what to look for.

I actually upgraded from Redfield Rebels I got for $100 to Maven c1s based on all the good feedback I saw here and other places. I honestly can't tell any difference between the two but I am relatively new to hunting so maybe I just don't know what to look for.

I am no expert but I compare optics at very first hint of light and I can tell the difference between ED glass and non-ED glass.

Broke down and bought Zeiss 10x binos in 2017 prior to a big hunt. Worth every penny.

mRZoqEUl.jpg

A good spotter would be nice as well, but not sure I have that many pennies! :rolleyes:

One of the best things I did in my 20s was drop a grand on a pair of Zeiss binoculars. Still using them today.

Broke down and bought Zeiss 10x binos in 2017 prior to a big hunt. Worth every penny.

mRZoqEUl.jpg

A good spotter would be nice as well, but not sure I have that many pennies! :rolleyes:

Classy rifle the CDL... Nice pic.

I can remember the first jump from 50 dollar Simmons to 100 buck Wind River Lupes...then a great buy on some abused Swaro SLC....i had no idea what I'd been missing.

The last 2 post are 100% right, also people won't believe it until they try it but put a ok pair of bino's on a tripod and it make all the difference in the world.

I borrowed some higher-end Nikon 10x50's from a buddy, along with a Diamondback spotter from work. Spent some days looking at stuff outside during the day and in the evening. Everything I noted agrees with what was said here. The better binos are a huge improvement, especially mounted on the tripod. It was comfortable to stand and scan around. The Diamondback spotter is OK at lower magnification, but left a lot of room for improvement when zoomed in at all. So I think I will definitely upgrade my binos, and the spotter will depend on whether I can find a good deal on a higher end model. Otherwise it can wait.

Not mocking anyone, but when I read, "I don't need anything better" I have to smile a bit. If you are going to glass effectively you have to take your time. Get a comfortable spot and pick every bush, shadow, tree and ledge apart. Binos that don't cause eyestrain and headaches are a must. Get a good spotting scope on a solid tripod with the cheapest but this most important bit of equipment, a good eye patch (available at your local drug store). With it you can glass for hours with no squinting and you can dissect the country. With this gear you will find out how much game you have been walking past. FWIW. GJ

I guess I must be the odd man out. I am not a fan of tripod adapters at all, for various reasons. Tried them for a year and haven't gone back. Finding a spot to set up and glass, digging out a tripod everytime I want to glass, the awkward position you have to be in to use them on a tripod, etc. Totally not worth it for some minor if any gain. I can stabilize them quite well while sitting or with a trekker pole. I don't have any issue finding game and highly doubt I would find any more/less with a tripod. When two guys are glassing together there isn't much to miss, and you usually both find the same animals. I think why people are so enamored with the tripod method is their eyes aren't trained up to find game, so you can focus better on a more stable image? Either way, its not for me. YMMV.

The only glass I would recommend is the big 3. Look for used, if you can't swing the new stuff. Its a lifetime/long term investment... I've looked through some of the top end brands like Vortex, etc, and they are very nice as well. I also look at it down the road, which one will hold its value. Start with high quality binos and then get a spotter. You can find used Swaro/Zeiss/Leica binos for $8-900 if you are patient, and spotters for $1300ish. Don't buy a spotter with objective less than 60-65mm

That 50mm Razor is garbage. My FIL has one. You're much better off with a quality pair of binos. One overcast day, I spotted 3 caribou bulls on rocky ridge about 3 miles off. I couldn't tell how big they were, but could see them plain as day. When we pulled out his Razor, you couldn't even make out if they were caribou or a rock at 33x. Putting my Zeiss on them, it was easy to see one was for sure a shooter, and the others were small/medium bulls.

Where good glass is separated from the junk is in bad light/twilight, and also with eye fatigue. I can sit and glass for hours and not get eye strain. With cheaper bino's I get a headache.

Where good glass is separated from the junk is in bad light/twilight, and also with eye fatigue. I can sit and glass for hours and not get eye strain. With cheaper bino's I get a headache.

Yup. I have Swaro EL Binos and a Swaro 65mm spotter. When I upgraded from Vortex Razor HD binos to my Swaros, the visual differences were tough to spot, but eye fatigue is almost non-existent now.

Viper HD 15's and a tripod. All for less than $600 total and you'll love that setup, especially for the money.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back