"Cinder" another humanized bear

jmveverka

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/12/18/cinder-bear-cub-survived-wildfire-inspired-region-then-hunter-killed-her/?tid=ss_mail&utm_term=.3783c1985cf4

Another story of evil hunters killing a humanized-named bear is making the rounds. Pedals, Cinder, Spitfire...Stories like this bring out so much hate from the antis.

Just wanted to be sure everyone saw what was going around. If you read the comments on any of these stories there seems to be a lot of confusion about how an animal is harvested because they found "skeletal remains". To everyone in the east, including many hunters here, that means the animal was left to rot entirely, not that it was quartered and packed out. I am confused about the cut radio collar. What is the protocol on that in Washington or other states? Is the collar supposed to be left with the carcass, or is it supposed to be turned in to the agency?

In some states you can't kill collared animals. But the article I found (can't read the wapo as I've exhausted my freebies) made no mention of the legality in this case, which seems kinda suspicious. If it's a legal kill then say so and move on. If it's not, then help the authorities punish the person who did it.

There was a lot of anthropomorphising in the article and there was no mention of law breaking so I'm guessing it was legal.

Another article has a few more quotes from a Washington DFW biologist stating: "While it's legal to kill a bear with a radio collar in Washington state, the state does have mandatory online reporting. The hunter only has to tell us the sex and the GMU it was killed in. All my contact info is on the collar but the hunter chose not to call. I don’t know why," he said.

Sounds like a legal harvest with the poor decision to just drop the collar and not return it.

In some states you can't kill collared animals.

I'm not aware of any state or jurisdiction (a couple of random study units, eg Lions in unit 62 in CO in 2005) where it is illegal to take any hunt-able game animal with a radio collar, although this misconception is rampant and even perpetuated by some in various Fish and Game Departments. (If there are some areas or states please correct me)

Case in point, there was a collared lion my mom's neighbors roof several mornings in a row. Obviously this made everyone a bit uncomfortable and that neighbor called the CPAW and the biologist told him the lion was named Ella and that he could get a depredation permit or hunt her when the season opened because she had a collar. I thought this was bs and confirmed it as such with the local GW.

Last edited:
Perhaps the hunter made a bad decision to not report, and perhaps the decision was made to avoid being named publicly and then subject to hate mail and death threats from the anti's. I can see a person being inclined to remove the collar, hike a mile or two, and then pull the batteries and toss it in a pond. F&G would search the area where the last signal came from but never find the bear remains. Not saying this is a good thing, but people do what they need to do to protect themselves. At some point threats from the anti's will go beyond just threats.

I hate conservation policy by Disney/Dr. Seuss. Thank god we haven’t had a beloved animated pheasant yet.

Back