Caribou Gear Tarp

Availability of Federal TBT's

Brian in Montana

They seem to be out of stock everywhere with no backorder. I'm still relatively new to reloading so I'm just wondering if this is a pretty standard issue this time of year or has Federal just cancelled them. Any idea?

I see Federal has "redesigned" their packaging on some of their ammo so maybe it's just out of stock right now. It could also be that they're only producing as seasonal runs.

I emailed them and they claim they are on the way. Pm me your email if you wish and I can forward you the email.

Federal seems to major more in factory ammo than reloading components. I was wondering if maybe they were scaling it back and just going to produce the TBT's for their factory loaded offerings.

I left messaged them on their FB page, but haven't seen a response yet. I've tried TBT's in 7-08 with pretty good accuracy. I have a box of 30cal, but I'm not sure how much I want to mess with it if it's not going to be available in the future.

Well I found a bit of a disadvantage to the TBT. The grooves in the bullet make it impossible to seat close to the lands (well I suppose you could seat the groove outside the case neck, but...). I got these about .1 inch but probably could stretch it to .08-.09...maybe. The factory recommends .05-.08.
There was still A LOT of bullet inside my case well below the shoulder.

If I can get solid MOA groups with these I'll hunt with them this next year. Next winter I might try some sirrocco and accubond which I should be able to seat closer. If I get some sort of much better groups by doing so I might switch.

I notice the lack of these bullets in my local Cabela's when looking for them for my .300 WSM. Having just bought a Leupold VX-6 with a turret made for this specific load I was a bit unnerved. Hopefully they will be back on the shelves soon.

Well I found a bit of a disadvantage to the TBT. The grooves in the bullet make it impossible to seat close to the lands (well I suppose you could seat the groove outside the case neck, but...). I got these about .1 inch but probably could stretch it to .08-.09...maybe. The factory recommends .05-.08.
There was still A LOT of bullet inside my case well below the shoulder.

If I can get solid MOA groups with these I'll hunt with them this next year. Next winter I might try some sirrocco and accubond which I should be able to seat closer. If I get some sort of much better groups by doing so I might switch.

There is no reason that all the grooves on that bullet need to be seated in the case neck. mtmuley

I seat grooves outside the case neck all the time.

I have them set for the load workup. But when I experiment with the seating depths I will try them longer. Good info thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back