Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Experience with power pro 2000?

VAspeedgoat

I was looking at the load data for this and got pretty excited. Then I took a breath and figured there had to be some draw backs. I've never been able to get superormance to work and didn't know if this was the same principle or not. I've done a little research and there is some evidence it is temperature sensitive but from what I can tell it's not an issue with hunting distances. I was curious if anyone had any experience? I was hoping to shoot 140 grain partitions through a 23" barrel on my 7mm08. Thanks

No But I also saw the load data and also got excited. I searched other forums and a lot good was said about it perhaps mixed questions about temp stability. I think it's technically designed for target isn't it? Regardless I decided to go with standard velocity loads.

First off the Power Pro series of powder is not "temp sensitive".
Neither are RL16, RL23, RL26.
I use PP2000 in my Stevens 200 chambered in 7mm-08AI. Shooting 139gr. SST, 140gr. Ballistic Tips and 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting.
22" barrel netted me 2,836 fps at 1,260 ft elevation. This was my most accurate load, not my max load.
ES of 7 fps, SD of 2 fps over 10 shot string.

I would/do definitely recommend it!

Finding good loads with PP 4000 in 280 Rem, and 284 Win.

If you think you don't like a powder because it's "temp sensitive", then you don't shoot enough.
Shoot year round, keep notes. Make a dope chart.
I put 900+ rounds a year through my 08.

Last edited:
I use PP2000 in my Stevens 200 chambered in 7mm-08AI. Shooting 139gr. SST, 140gr. Ballistic Tips and 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting.
22" barrel netted me 2,836 fps at 1,260 ft elevation. This was my most accurate load, not my max load.

If you think you don't like a powder because it's "temp sensitive", then you don't shoot enough.

That's what I needed to hear. I don't shoot enough and don't reload enough to even know. But when you hear or read something and don't quite understand it makes you slow to try something due to my inexperience. Thanks for cutting through the clutter for me.

I have the alliant load book and they have rl16,rl23,and ar comp listed as consistent across temperature I think similar to what they say about varget or 4350.

I completely believe people on whichever forum I googled were spouting off and exaggerated the issue. But according to alliant this powder isn't on the same level as 16 or 23

PP2000 will give simular velocities as H414 with the 140gr. bullet out of the 7mm-08.
I didn't care for the recoil impulse with RL16.
And i wanna see ya try to cram enough RL23 in a 7mm-08 and get good velocities. Aka, not gonna happen.
RL17 gave me best velocities of the powders i tried (2,916 fps). But the PP2000 was more consistant.

Ramshot Big Game is supposed to give good velocities. I haven't tried it though due to it being hard to find in my area (Central PA).

It produces good velocities in .308's

Can't say about 7mm-08. Haven't tried it in that yet.

I'll have to try it some time. Some of the velocity readings are great. One of my reasons against me specifically using is I switched from .300 to .308 this year and if I wanted higher velocities (recoil) I could have just stayed with what I had��

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back