3 season vs 4 season tent

C17loadclear

So I am in the market for a new backpacking tent and am trying to decide on a 3 or 4 season tent.

It will be used mostly for high country archery elk hunts so snow and wind is always a possibility.

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a one or two man tent under 400 bucks i am all ears.

Thanks!!

I have a marmot limelight that I like. I got the 3 person so its a bit on the heavy side. Ive used it from july to november without issue. I think they offer a 2 person and offer the tungsten in a 1.

check out REI.com they sell a ton of name brand and a lot of stuff with the REI name on it as well

a 3 season will be just fine.

i don't remember what model mine is(i know doesn't help you out at all ) but its a 3 season backpack REI tent i think it was around 350-400. it does just fine in a snow wind storm.

I've noticed there's a lot if variation in three season tents
Seems like most of them are three season. Some are a lot tougher than others.

Four season seems to be a term for extremely heavy, bulky, and expensive. Very few of these seem to be on the market.

Get to those rei sales right when they open if you want anything good.

There are "3-season" tents I'd take over some "4-season" in heavy weather. There is really a big continuum there, and manufacturers can call it whatever they like. On average, a 4-season tent will have higher denier floor and fly, not much if any mesh on interior walls, and full fly coverage to the ground. In some cases they have a more robust pole configuration or larger diameter poles, but not always. For your purposes a high quality 3-season shelter would be great; I agree with the recs. above, the MSR Hubba's and Big Agnes Copper Spur's would be great choices.

I have the MSR Hubba Hubba(2 person), I run it with just ground cloth and fly Sept-Oct, I only bring the full tent for bugs in the summer and snow in the late season. I think you can run the Big Agnes in a similar fashion. I have tried a couple of 4 season tents, sierra designs, mountain hardware, and north face. All of them were ok, but I would get a hilleberg if I was buying a 4 season hunting tent.

I have the MSR Hubba Hubba(2 person), I run it with just ground cloth and fly Sept-Oct, I only bring the full tent for bugs in the summer and snow in the late season. I think you can run the Big Agnes in a similar fashion. I have tried a couple of 4 season tents, sierra designs, mountain hardware, and north face. All of them were ok, but I would get a hilleberg if I was buying a 4 season hunting tent.
Hille's have gone up a bunch...when I got my Allak in about 2010 it nearly killed me at about $700, now they're $1,000. It's been used hard and shows no ill effect, maybe the only tents out there that hold their monetary value like a hard good. Nallo GT's are about the perfect all around mountain tent to me if I had to have just one.

Any complaints with the Hubba Hubba? I've considered the 4 man version of that or the Copper Spur for a family/friends backpacking tent.

Any complaints with the Hubba Hubba? I've considered the 4 man version of that or the Copper Spur for a family/friends backpacking tent.

None so far, mine has held up pretty well. Probably have 20+ days in it with the wife and pup as occasional companions. My brother in law has the Copper Spur UL2 and to be honest it's almost identical to the Hubba Hubba.

Last edited:
I'll recommend the Big Agnes Fly Creek series for 3 season 2p tents. Completely enclosed and freestanding. I like bug and rodent free environments without having to use trekking poles for setup. Mine is going on 5 years of heavy abuse and still not a single issue, not bad for a 2 pound tent. You should be able to pick one up at REI for under $400.

When it comes to 3 season 4 person tents, I have been happier with tents from Alps Mountaineering and Kelty than other high price tents. I'm usually sharing weight with someone else or a pack animal when bringing larger tents anyway, and at a fraction of the price for a tent that maybe saves a few pounds. Good luck in your shopping!

I use a Copper Spur 3 person for backpacking trips with the fiance or with a buddy. Works well.

Believe it or not ALPS makes some fantastic light and strong 1, 2, 3 man tent with vestibules and 3 season rating for an extremely good price (I would surely take my 1 man ALPS in the backcountry in the winter and do so). I use to be one of those ultralight tarp guys who always had one as a shelter in my pack rain or shine. My one man ALPS is my primary carry tent for all seasons. It's small, light and strong. Just having the heat retention of a full fly and vestibule in a small one man space is worth considering as an emergency shelter. If your looking for something to hunt out of and not necessarily for an emergency I would go with a 3 man tent primarily for the room. I own a Marmot Limelight, Eureka Expedition & Sierra Design in a 3 man. The Eureka is worthy of Everest and is a 4 season tent but it's heavy. The Sierra Design is the lightest but it's door and vestibule is not ideal as it is a front entry style tent. The Marmot is not the lightest but it's a great tent and I believe someone else has mentioned it? Check out ALPS options if your on a budget. My ALPS is built every bit as well as any of the tents I have mentioned and for a very reasonable price.

I'll agree with you, I have an Alps Lynx 4 that I really like. Good (but not outstanding) quality, nice features, low cost. Best budget tents out their in my opinion.

I've had my Kelty Salida 2 for about 4 years, and it's been great. Some what light weight, and has weathered a few storms with no problems. No snow storms yet though.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back