PEAX Equipment

"E-Scouting" for antelope

BeerCheeze

I am trying to do some research to do a DIY public land antelope hunt in 2019. I have been looking at WY for the hunt. Most of the units that I would be able to draw a tag this year seem to have limited public land. This is ok but in looking at the details on the WY GF hunt planner, they seem to imply that much of the land does not have much if any antelope.

This leads me to my question, when I am looking at OnX what land features if any should I be looking for to determine good antelope habitat?

As an example, looking at unit 22 https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Area-22. The description of the unit contains this bit of info

Many public land parcels are not accessible and some rugged BLM lands in the extreme northeast portion of the hunt area do not support antelope.

Fortunately/Unfortunately this was precisely the area that I was initially thinking would be good. But apparently not so much. What should I look for in trying to get an idea of locations that would have good potential?

I am a relative newbie, but you look for public access (public lands + state funded access programs on private land), public roads, water sources, un-treed plains areas with some minor swells and shallow gulches, but not steep elevation changes. But in the end there is no substitute for local insight and boots on the ground. I am definitely going out to look at a few units this year in advance of application deadline.

I have hunted 22 for antelope and could have shot small bucks/ does. There are some antelope in the BLM to the North, but the antelope are hard to see with all those hills. Much better populations to the south like stated, but limited land. I would look fore something with less hilly ground even if there isn't as much public ground.

For whatever reason there is an assumption that pronghorn hunting, unlikely any other western hunting, is limited to what you can see from the road. If you want to be successful in the 'limited public access units' just hunt pronghorn like elk, and get out of your truck. All of those units have thousands of acres of public land you just might have to walk to access much of it.

Appreciate the help. No issues with the idea of walking.

Just trying to get an idea of the type of topography I should be looking at. I figured on too hilly isn't good but not sure what "too hilly" actually is. That along with what appears to be difficulties in getting to some spots prompted me to ask here.

I'd rather have too hilly. Trying to sneak to 100yds for a muzzleloader shot in the super flat lands of SE Colorado is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I feel like you are very limited on Escouting for antelope in comparison to elk or any other animal really. I prefer some breaks and minor elevation changes. You could target some water sources, but antelope can range a good deal and then come into water from a distance. Frankly, your local knowledge is gonna be your best indicator: biologists, ranchers, game wardens, other hunters, photographers, rock hounds, anyone who plays in the scrubland.

Thanks a bunch, I have been able to get a better idea of what I am looking for. And have some ideas of zones to apply for. Now just to confirm that I have enough vacation from work...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back