Elk Rump Roast

Addicting

We are making our first elk roast this weekend from the cow I shot. Any tips on it not drying out? We are planning on using a recipe that calls for searing it then in the crockpot for 5 hours, but that is for a beef roast with more fat to it. I’m worried that with it being leaner that it will be grainy and dry.

Thanks Tony

I have never had to cook an elk roast for more than a few hours. I have over cooked many of them.................... Use a meat thermometer and pull out early and let it rest if you can. Yes it will cook much faster. Of course it depends on size of roast also.

Yeah, less time than beef. Also, make sure you keep it basted.

A little olive oil in the bottom of a hot cast iron skillet used to pre-sear all 6 sides of the roast. Then lightly simmer a minced onion and fresh garlic cloves in a little olive oil. Coat the browned roast with this onion/garlic/oil mix and put in a vacuum seal bag. Cook it in a sous vide water bath at 145 degrees for 12-18 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.

A little olive oil in the bottom of a hot cast iron skillet used to pre-sear all 6 sides of the roast. Then lightly simmer a minced onion and fresh garlic cloves in a little olive oil. Coat the browned roast with this onion/garlic/oil mix and put in a vacuum seal bag. Cook it in a sous vide water bath at 145 degrees for 12-18 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy.

Im tempted to jump on the Sous Verde train but haven’t commit yet. Left a lot of clues for Christmas so we will see. Right now it crock pot or oven.

Im tempted to jump on the Sous Verde train but haven’t commit yet. Left a lot of clues for Christmas so we will see. Right now it crock pot or oven.

Santa really needs to get you one. Outstanding technique for lean, temperature sensitive meat!

About 4 or 5 years ago I accidently left a roast in the crock pot on high for close to 8 hours. Thought for sure it was ruined. Turned out to be fork tender and one of the better roasts I had ever eaten in my life.

Ever since then we cook our roasts on high and they are done when you can stick a fork in and pull them apart. Usually somewhere between 6 and 8 hours. We don't add the veggies until about 1/2 way through if the timing works, otherwise we just end up with pretty mushy veggies.

Also we just started adding broth instead of water. That helps too.

Maybe I'm just a bad cook but my wife and son like it like that too.

I did a mule deer roast last night, probably 2-2.5 pounds. I salted, peppered, seasoned with Montreal's, then wrapped with bacon. Baked at 350* on a wire rack.

I use a meat thermometer. Checked the center at 100*, gave it another 20 minutes and by then it was 140*. Pulled it and let it sit 20 minutes. It was very good, but I had really meant to pull it at 130*. So just know that the internal temp, once it's up to around 100*, gets the rest of the way pretty quick.

You can't cook wild meat like beef. It will dry out once it hits medium rare... so don't over cook it, simple as that.

I cook a fair number of roasts, and my favorite way is this...

Make sure roast is room temp, very important.
Set oven to 500 degrees
Soften half a stick of butter
mince 5-6 cloves garlic
add, garlic, rosemary, tyme , and other spices you like to butter
salt and pepper the roast liberally
coat the roast in the butter mixture.

Place it in a baking dish on a rack, cook for 20 min (per 4lbs), then turn off the oven. don't open the door or check it for at least an hour. It should come out rare/medium rare. 135-deg. If its not up to temperature, turn the oven back on a low setting 300deg or so, then turn it off after about 10 min, and let it cool off again. It rarely takes more than another 10-15 min the proper temp. After the first hour its almost always done perfectly.

Just cooked a moose rump roast three nights ago like this. It was better than prime rib, and not dry at all. The wife even complimented on how good it was, and she's not a rare meat eater...

We pressure cook them as well, and also BBQ them. Key is to sear in a very hot pan, and do not over cook it. Take it out when its 135-140deg in the center and let it cool in a tent. I never use a crockpot, yuck.

I did a mule deer roast last night, probably 2-2.5 pounds. I salted, peppered, seasoned with Montreal's, then wrapped with bacon. Baked at 350* on a wire rack.

I use a meat thermometer. Checked the center at 100*, gave it another 20 minutes and by then it was 140*. Pulled it and let it sit 20 minutes. It was very good, but I had really meant to pull it at 130*. So just know that the internal temp, once it's up to around 100*, gets the rest of the way pretty quick.

You had me at bacon! How long at 350 before it got to 100*?

Set oven to 500 degrees

Place it in a baking dish on a rack, cook for 20 min (per 4lbs), then turn off the oven. don't open the door or check it for at least an hour. It should come out rare/medium rare. 135-deg. If its not up to temperature, turn the oven back on a low setting 300deg or so, then turn it off after about 10 min, and let it cool off again. It rarely takes more than another 10-15 min the proper temp. After the first hour its almost always done perfectly.

I've never heard of this, how did you come across cooking this way?

^ X2 for me.

I will do neck, ribs or shanks in a slow cooker / braise. I have gotten away with some roasts IF there is still some connective tissue that I didn't trim. But generally, I do similar to Bambistew for all the roasts (different times / temps, but the same principal). If i'm shooting for a "Pot Roast" style of dinner - it's cuts with lots of connective tissue.

A couple things I like to do are: 1) thaw the roast early and put it in the fridge on a rack to drain blood. I break this rule a ton, cause I didn't plan ahead, but the kids need food NOW. 2) have the meat at room temp before I cook it.

^ X2 for me.

I will do neck, ribs or shanks in a slow cooker / braise. I have gotten away with some roasts IF there is still some connective tissue that I didn't trim. But generally, I do similar to Bambistew for all the roasts (different times / temps, but the same principal). If i'm shooting for a "Pot Roast" style of dinner - it's cuts with lots of connective tissue.

A couple things I like to do are: 1) thaw the roast early and put it in the fridge on a rack to drain blood. I break this rule a ton, cause I didn't plan ahead, but the kids need food NOW. 2) have the meat at room temp before I cook it.

I guess that is part of the problem, defining what a "roast" is. I only make roasts out of the pieces of meat that do have lots of connective tissue. If it is a nice cut of meat without a lot of connective tissue I call it a steak. You are going to be using your knife like a saw and doing a LOT of chewing if you cook some of the pieces of meat that I call roast to a medium rare temp.

I think the BambiStew type method would be great for a lean muscle group that I would cut into steaks if I left them together as one large piece.

I guess that is part of the problem, defining what a "roast" is. I only make roasts out of the pieces of meat that do have lots of connective tissue. If it is a nice cut of meat without a lot of connective tissue I call it a steak. You are going to be using your knife like a saw and doing a LOT of chewing if you cook some of the pieces of meat that I call roast to a medium rare temp.

I think the BambiStew type method would be great for a lean muscle group that I would cut into steaks if I left them together as one large piece.

For the type of roast you are talking about, it goes in the pressure cooker, i.e. neck roasts, shanks, etc or was turned into burger.

I rarely cut steaks, and leave everything as a "roast." Less freezer burn,less trimming, faster... and I can cut the chunks into steaks, or cook as a roast, or cut up however I want... The moose roast I did was a "rump roast" if from the store. It has connective tissue.

I need to actually figure out what a rump roast is then! ;)

When I butcher up a hind quarter I end up with something I call the sirlon tip (probably completely wrong, it is FULL of connective tissue, almost like a shank) and a small piece I call round steak (it is round) then I end up with 2 large pieces that have very limited connective tissue that I just call "good steak". To me these rival the backstrap as far as making a good steak.

I think one of those is what you guys are calling rump roast. I really should save some of those and not slice them up into steaks so I can try some different cooking options on them.

I am also on the bandwagon of fry pan searing the outside of any roast or loin before slow cooking in the oven. It helps seal in the juices.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back