MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Rump Roast

Okay, just watched a video. What I've always called steaks are actually roasts! LOL.

Bottom Round, Eye Round and Top Round are pieces that I've always cut into steaks.

I need to actually figure out what a rump roast is then! ;)

When I butcher up a hind quarter I end up with something I call the sirlon tip (probably completely wrong, it is FULL of connective tissue, almost like a shank) and a small piece I call round steak (it is round) then I end up with 2 large pieces that have very limited connective tissue that I just call "good steak". To me these rival the backstrap as far as making a good steak.

You are close... the Sirloin tip is the the bottom of the big "football" shaped muscle off the front of the hind leg. The bottom has more tendons than the top, i.e top sirloin. The actual sirloin is the muscle you cut off the dish shaped part of the pelvis, basically the flap above the ball. All are great cuts IMO. Sirloin is by far my favorite piece of meat, and I cry a little every time I see someone F it up when they cut off a hind quarter. The rump roast is from the back of the hind quarter (round steak) on the opposite (the femur) to the sirloin tip.

The tip is an excellent roast, the top sirloin is good as steaks on big animals, and usually better as a roast on a small animal, or leave it all as one big chunk...

In the end its all just funny names for meat so it can be sold at a higher price... If it looks like steak eat it as such. I find that if I label stuff, I know what I like and eat it first. I end up making a lot of jerky out of round steaks/roasts.

Making me hungry. Had a caribou tip roast for dinner last night out of the pressure cooker, and slicing up a sheep round roast for bulgogi tonight. I love being awash in meat.

Take a sirloin tip roast (I leave these whole on deer, 2-3 per side on elk) and put slits in it with a knife. Stuff these with slivers of garlic. Oil the outside and season liberally with Johnny's and cracked pepper. Cook it on high on a Traeger until it hits 140. Let it rest about 15 minutes and enjoy.

Here is what I am cooking, it has a lot of connective tissue. I was thinking the low and slow like osso bucco would break it down better. 5AF827B7-43A9-4DC1-9F05-3D67C63E9AD9.jpg96E51CFE-D548-4136-9242-72F3A72D5124.jpg

Here is what the cook book has it looking like after 5-6 hours on high. Really don’t want to mess this up, my kids are in love with elk and I want to keep that going.
BB0CBF4D-1C51-4F69-8884-F9ADE9D1A11A.jpg

You are close... the Sirloin tip is the the bottom of the big "football" shaped muscle off the front of the hind leg. The bottom has more tendons than the top, i.e top sirloin. The actual sirloin is the muscle you cut off the dish shaped part of the pelvis, basically the flap above the ball. All are great cuts IMO. Sirloin is by far my favorite piece of meat, and I cry a little every time I see someone F it up when they cut off a hind quarter. The rump roast is from the back of the hind quarter (round steak) on the opposite (the femur) to the sirloin tip.

The tip is an excellent roast, the top sirloin is good as steaks on big animals, and usually better as a roast on a small animal, or leave it all as one big chunk...

In the end its all just funny names for meat so it can be sold at a higher price... If it looks like steak eat it as such. I find that if I label stuff, I know what I like and eat it first. I end up making a lot of jerky out of round steaks/roasts.

Making me hungry. Had a caribou tip roast for dinner last night out of the pressure cooker, and slicing up a sheep round roast for bulgogi tonight. I love being awash in meat.

The sirloin tip makes a great, almost prime rib-like piece of meat when cooked in the oven to medium-rare.

I get a large rectangular piece of the hindquarters too. I have no idea what cut it is, but it has a really large grain to it. That stuff I put in the crock pot with beef stock and cook all day. It is definitely drier, but it falls apart by the end. I don't really like it for steaks. Makes good jerky too, though.

You can't cook wild meat like beef. It will dry out once it hits medium rare... so don't over cook it, simple as that.

I cook a fair number of roasts, and my favorite way is this...

Make sure roast is room temp, very important.
Set oven to 500 degrees
Soften half a stick of butter
mince 5-6 cloves garlic
add, garlic, rosemary, tyme , and other spices you like to butter
salt and pepper the roast liberally
coat the roast in the butter mixture.

Place it in a baking dish on a rack, cook for 20 min (per 4lbs), then turn off the oven. don't open the door or check it for at least an hour. It should come out rare/medium rare. 135-deg. If its not up to temperature, turn the oven back on a low setting 300deg or so, then turn it off after about 10 min, and let it cool off again. It rarely takes more than another 10-15 min the proper temp. After the first hour its almost always done perfectly.

Just cooked a moose rump roast three nights ago like this. It was better than prime rib, and not dry at all. The wife even complimented on how good it was, and she's not a rare meat eater...

We pressure cook them as well, and also BBQ them. Key is to sear in a very hot pan, and do not over cook it. Take it out when its 135-140deg in the center and let it cool in a tent. I never use a crockpot, yuck.

I did this last night with a 13oz chunk of antelope sirloin. Turned the oven off after 8 minutes. Best piece of game meat I've ever cooked. When I sliced it it looked like prime rib from the best restaurant. Thanks.

INSTANT POT.

For those of you who have not tried one for wild game. It's an amazing tool, specially for a roast. The meat comes out tender and juicy. No drying out. I was never a fan of wild game roasts until we tried an Elk roast last year in the instant pot. WOW!. Elk stroganoff with all those stew cuts is also really really good. As far as seasoning? Pick your favorite flavor, sauce or whatever you like to baste your meat in and experiment. I am no expert on cooking but man the Instant pot is a game changer for wild game.

You can't cook wild meat like beef. It will dry out once it hits medium rare... so don't over cook it, simple as that.

I cook a fair number of roasts, and my favorite way is this...

Make sure roast is room temp, very important.
Set oven to 500 degrees
Soften half a stick of butter
mince 5-6 cloves garlic
add, garlic, rosemary, tyme , and other spices you like to butter
salt and pepper the roast liberally
coat the roast in the butter mixture.

Place it in a baking dish on a rack, cook for 20 min (per 4lbs), then turn off the oven. don't open the door or check it for at least an hour. It should come out rare/medium rare. 135-deg. If its not up to temperature, turn the oven back on a low setting 300deg or so, then turn it off after about 10 min, and let it cool off again. It rarely takes more than another 10-15 min the proper temp. After the first hour its almost always done perfectly.

Just cooked a moose rump roast three nights ago like this. It was better than prime rib, and not dry at all. The wife even complimented on how good it was, and she's not a rare meat eater...

We pressure cook them as well, and also BBQ them. Key is to sear in a very hot pan, and do not over cook it. Take it out when its 135-140deg in the center and let it cool in a tent. I never use a crockpot, yuck.

I just did this on a Tule Elk Roast killed 7 days ago. Trimmed every bit of External Silver skin and followed the Directions to a T

1695667028124.png

I'll do this again!

Last edited:

I do this at least once a month. Hands down the best way I have found. Whole family loves it. Don't skip the pepperoncinis...best part.

I often use onion soup mix instead of the aujus and it might be even better.

I do this at least once a month. Hands down the best way I have found. Whole family loves it. Don't skip the pepperoncinis...best part.

I did this with a Chuck roast. That is the perfect cut for that recipe. A well marbled piece of meat with the grain going vertical does best in a Crock pot. I have done a rib roast in a CP, but I put it in frozen to keep the center rare.

I’ll have to try the onion soup mix. Right now I’ve been doing this recipe with bone-in venison shoulders. Turns out great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back