Caribou Gear

North Dakota mulie tag?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

I'm looking for any advice on NR mulie tags for NoDak because my chances of drawing one in SoDak are next to zero. Just looking at the units, I'm assuming I'd want to hunt on the western half of the state. Any advice would be much appreciated!

WY or MT give way more NR muley tags than Greater Dakota and Lesser Dakota (I will let the HT residents of Fargo and Sioux Falls fight that out), is there a reason you aren't considering those?

You can reasonably expect to draw an archery mulie tag in ND if you apply for a few years. I don't think you can reasonably expect to draw a rifle tag in your lifetime, if I remember correctly when I looked into it a few years ago.

I would look elsewhere if you are wanting to draw anytime soon. They only give out 1-3 tags per unit and there are alot of NR applicants. Your odds at zero points are extremely bad.

WY or MT give way more NR muley tags than Greater Dakota and Lesser Dakota (I will let the HT residents of Fargo and Sioux Falls fight that out), is there a reason you aren't considering those?

Duh, no deer in Wyoming because of CWD and none left in Montana because of season dates and B tags! LOL

My guess is drive time is a factor, certainly is for me.

My guess is drive time is a factor, certainly is for me.

My initial guess as well, but since he referenced Western ND, Eastern WY is not much longer on the road from "the boot of MN". But quite literally, "YMMV".

I would look elsewhere if you are wanting to draw anytime soon. They only give out 1-3 tags per unit and there are alot of NR applicants. Your odds at zero points are extremely bad.

^this

Residents are waiting 6+ years to draw a mule deer tag for rifle season so I can’t imagine how long it would be for NRs to draw.

Start buying points for both states. From the way SD is changing there deer program i wouldn't be surprised if they slash the non residents allocation.

If you are bowhunting, NR tags are available by sending in your money to GFP. No draw for archery. Rifle Special buck tags are easier to get, but valid on private land only.

At this point, the draw changes for deer are only supposed to effect residents. There are certain percentages of tags set aside for NR, those numbers are not scheduled to change. Yet.

If you are bowhunting, NR tags are available by sending in your money to GFP. No draw for archery. Rifle Special buck tags are easier to get, but valid on private land only.

At this point, the draw changes for deer are only supposed to effect residents. There are certain percentages of tags set aside for NR, those numbers are not scheduled to change. Yet.

I agree with everything but this. As a NR, doubtful I will have two (rifle) tags again in the same year.

Is there a reason you aren't considering those?
Driving distance and how swamped Montana seems to be by the blaze orange army! I might go around Red Lodge. Have some family out there. I also know some people out in Colorado. I like the Dakotas so I thought I'd ask around!

1% of tags in ND are allocated to NR’s. The best unit is probably 4C with 4B being pretty close. Had 6 buddies who live in ND all draw 4C this year. The most points had was 6, the least was 4. All had tough hunts and shot mediocre bucks. It is really rare to have an outstanding buck in ND, they all usually have one or two good characteristics but lack one or two. Great fronts, no backs. Super wide, crab claw fronts. Great forks front and back, narrow. Expect to see does and dink’s. With point squaring in place it will be tough to draw a tag anytime soon. I have 10 NR points and it hasn’t happened yet. The cool thing there is there is no landlocked public land really. An Easement down every section line and unposted land open to public hinting make it less of a hassle than most places.

All you have to do is buy a quarter section of land and you can get a NR landowner tag, which allows you to hunt all three seasons. You do have to hunt only the land you own, but buy the right parcel and you are set.

Back