Caribou Gear Tarp

Water dog pup progress

JEL

Three years ago I was looking for a water dog pup. After getting some great advice on here about pedigree and breeders we ended up with Nova. She has been an awesome dog. Driven like no other dog I have had. She loves hunting, hiking and playing ball. This was last weekend.
novaducks.JPG

That's spectacular. But how the heck do you have ducks and soft water to hunt them over at this time of year in Montana? We are iced over here, 50F high for today not withstanding. Our ducks are in Arkansas by now.

That's spectacular. But how the heck do you have ducks and soft water to hunt them over at this time of year in Montana? We are iced over here, 50F high for today not withstanding. Our ducks are in Arkansas by now.

It has been really mild here so far. We have lots of open water. Our waterfowl season is open until early-mid January and we usually find mallards up until the end. They are big northern birds.

I think I told you about that litter and I got a Jazztime pup from another litter. Here is my boy Maxxy. A super all around dog.98C5C9B1-11F2-4D7D-926F-123735A85E27.jpeg

I think I told you about that litter and I got a Jazztime pup from another litter. Here is my boy Maxxy. A super all around dog.View attachment 91851

Nothing like a good dog. This makes me a little sad and happy at the same time. My handle on all sites is Maxx because of my first dog is what got me into online forums. We picked her up a week after our honeymoon, yup a her. My wife wanted a dog named Maxx and I wanted a female. Man what a dog she was! I think every dog owner is gifted one truly great dog in there life and fortunately for us it was our first. She was just an incredible dog. I pretty much gave up hunting big game during her time and hunted birds all over the place. We ran HT's until she got her SH title. She only failed one test and it was a JH test that I screwed up. We never moved passed SH testing because my wife and I started to have kids. I am 100% sure she would have cruised through master work. I remember the first time I ran her in a club test. She wasn't really ready but we did it to see what the game was about. One of the guys pulled me aside later to let me know what I had. The best part about her was she was everything you ever wanted in the field but she was an absolute dream in the house. She watched us bring home all three of our kids! We said good bye to her a year ago at the ripe age of 14. Man I miss her!

Max she looks and sounds like my girl Miley. She is 10 years old and has very bad arthritic elbows. When I take Max out my wife says she sits by the back door and looks at her like they will come back and get me. It breaks my wives heart.

I thought Max would be 65 pounds like both of his parents. I weighed him the other day and he was 77 pounds. He is long and lean and very athletic. I found it is hard to get a good field picture of a black dog with my phone. It takes any size dog a while to learn how to handle big geese. My buddy had a 50 pound lab that ran back faster with a goose in her mouth then she went out ��

Diver delight.
divers.jpg

Attachments

• C42EABFA-0FAE-4102-B4C6-356A0B4B8F81.jpg
    C42EABFA-0FAE-4102-B4C6-356A0B4B8F81.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Yep the Missouri is open year round pretty much. Lots of people here don't or won't hunt goldeneyes. My boys and I love hunting them. They are a blast. Not the best eating but they make pretty good jerky and sausage.

Yep, the Upper Missouri this morning, lotsa' Goldeneyes on the water today.....
View attachment 92129
Although I don't have labs or water spaniels anymore, still love 'em..............

Nice, I should head out that way one of these years. Waterfowl is one of my true passions, would be nice to extend the season a little bit.

JEL, that is a nice looking lab as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back