BHA Journal article on WSA's by Don Thomas

onpoint

The current Backcountry Journal has a nice little Don Thomas piece on the status and political shenanigans regarding WSA's - factual, informative, and I happen to agree with his stance. I am an unabashed, unashamed, and vocal advocate of "Wilderness Areas". I Spend a hell of a lot of time working and playing in Montana WSA's, appreciate voices like Don's.................

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Don's. His position for those without the journal is to protect the WSA's, and not wholesale remove protections. He does state that it is "long past time to clarify the status of this land" and "some of it should be released...and some of it should be [officially] designated wilderness using bipartisan, cooperative negotiation."

I am very much in agreement with that sentiment. Each piece should be looked at and if not to be wilderness, then remove the "legal limbo" as Thomas calls it. Not all land needs to remain undeveloped; TR advocated wise use that included mining, logging, etc. In the same line of picking a political party and ignoring anything from the other side, I see it as untenable to say leave all WSA's alone and not look objectively at each one.

Environmental organizations pursuit of Wilderness Study Areas divided the collective "Public" within the once unified "Public Lands in Public Hands" banner.

The outdoor industry's economically supported public is far better off with the original collection of information that has been completed rather than open a whole new can of worms and further divide the public.

I read Don's Guest Column in the Missoulian as well as Kubista's opinion piece.

The WSA issue, from my perspective, is better served to accept as already scientifically studied.

The further the issue extends, the further the divide.

But hey, just one HT member's opinion. :)

Kubista is SFW and SFW is Don Peay. Not hard to connect the dots. When it comes to anything outdoors he is the least credible guy I have run into.

Recently he sent the Ravalli County Commissioners on a green decoy snipe hunt to the AG and governors office. It didn’t end well for our infamous Commissioners.

I wouldn’t read a word Kubista wrote.

Last edited:
Sytes, Enviro groups and multiple hunting groups didn’t pursue anything regarding WSA’s. They simply responded to our Senator and Congressman introducing a one size fits all bill by asking for an honest look at these areas with broad input. Who really has used WSA’s to divide?

Throughout this you’ve held BHA and other groups to a specifci standard while giving a free pass to Daines and Gianforte. Many of the areas Gianforte listed were recommended for Wilderness but you haven’t been bringing that up in your rants.

Groups asking for an honest look at Wilderness Study Areas is not an extreme position and asking County Commissioners’ Opinion on land management is not public input.

For the Wilderness Study Areas, make all those recommended for Wilderness, Wilderness. Release all those that aren’t suitable.

Who walks away from the table, Daines/Gianforte or the Montana BHA Board? I know how the board would vote.

Groups asking for an honest look at Wilderness Study Areas is not an extreme position and asking County Commissioners’ Opinion on land management is not public input.
Nor is Rep White's partisan WSA resolution ramrodded through the legislature in the face of mostly public opposition.

Schaaf, I shared nothing to suggest support for Daines / Gianforte's earlier attempt.

Environmental organizations pursuit of Wilderness Study Areas divided the collective "Public" within the once unified "Public Lands in Public Hands" banner.

The outdoor industry's economically supported public is far better off with the original collection of information that has been completed rather than open a whole new can of worms and further divide the public.

I read Don's Guest Column in the Missoulian as well as Kubista's opinion piece.

The WSA issue, from my perspective, is better served to accept as already scientifically studied.

The further the issue extends, the further the divide.

But hey, just one HT member's opinion. :)

Schaaf, I shared nothing to suggest support for Daines / Gianforte's earlier attempt.

I didn’t say you had. I said you have held groups that are looking for a reasonable path forward on WSA’s to a different standard than our elected officials. Not once has BHA, MWF, or other groups called for these all to be Wilderness areas or even for them to stay as WSA’s.

A different standard? I've sent the same to Jersey G and Daines as I posted here...

Fact is, today's setting is so far on the extremes, it's a losing proposition... and will further divide those we consider, "Public Hands" from each other.

Curious, what WSA acresage % does BHA propose return to it's original status to allow the public hands use, beyond the boots only organizations?

Last edited:
Sytes, 'don't think the recommendations of 1977 which Congress has failed to act on could be characterized as "scientific studies", but even if so there is an argument that many changes have occurred since that would warrant another analysis and updated recommendations. The real tipping point regarding the recent bills proposed for completely discarding protections for those lands came for me when Gianforte and Daines began alluding to public access as more roads and vehicle access and seemed to completely disregard any access for hiking, hunting, camping and using those lands for recreation, which ironically has come to the forefront as the leading economic driver for Montana.

Those two congressional delegates "representing" Montana have embraced such concepts regarding public lands which make me cringe with concern that they are way different "Montanans" than I. But then, hey, the Montana legislative makeup creates the same cringes ... leading to the fear that "my Montana" is doomed.

There’s a WSA on the south side of the pryors with a bunch of old roads and feral horses in it. The constant hum of ATVS and banging of target shooting is heard from within it. It’s not wilderness. It’s a neat little spot nonetheless but I’d support its release.

I keep harping on it, but I think caution is warranted when it comes to mass-support of WSAs becoming Wilderness. Bikes don't belong in many places, and many WSAs should be Wilderness, but moving forward with the analysis of 1977, as if the last 40 years haven't changed much, would be ill advised in my opinion. The divide between mountain bikers and groups like BHA is growing. The most prominent Mountain Biking group in Montana basically views BHA as an enemy, and it's a shame, because many would-be-allies exist in their ranks - if only a bit of compromise and nuance were explored.

Edited: repeating what I've already shared.

Also Congress appointed the WSA's in 1977. In 1993 the completion of the scientific evidence, environmental and commercial groups input built upon 15 years, was compiled and provided to Congress via the GAO report.
See gov .PDF (108 page)
https://www.gao.gov/assets/220/218719.pdf

Cheers all.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back