wyoming hma area//rattlesnake mts unit 89 deer?is deer allowed?

dan.kirkpatrick

Ive been in there a few years back antelope hunting,,but was looking at the areas current hma rules and don't see where they have deer?just a black mark?so a lot of the particular area is blm land.is it ok to hunt the blm land here even in the hma area for deer? this is one of the bigger patches of blm in unit 89 deer to look around in?might get lucky and maybe draw deer this year,,but want the full story on the hma area?have already sent a e mail off to wy game and fish also.unit 89 has some hard to access area issues and the rattlesnake hma area is a big question before I apply with 9 n r points?

I don't know anything about that particular HMA, but I've called AccessYes coordinators about other WIA/HMA questions and they always clear everything right up. On one question I had about species and season dates, the person I talked to even went in to the AccessYes page and changed the wording to more clearly reflect the rules.

the way I currently understand it is ,I can still hunt blm lands,but I cant hunt the private areas,I do not know if I can cross the private areas using the current road system the hma has set up as open 2 tracks to get to blm?just want to know if that is correct or if hma is off limits or ? for deer in that area?

Looking at the ranch rules for that HMA, no you cannot deer hunt the private lands. As for the BLM, it basically follows the normal rules of access. If a public road cuts through it, you can hunt it. If it's a 2 track that cuts through private, you cannot travel that 2 track.

...As for the BLM, it basically follows the normal rules of access. If a public road cuts through it, you can hunt it. If it's a 2 track that cuts through private, you cannot travel that 2 track.

I'd call to verify, but I don't believe this is correct. The HMA rules apply to all lands enrolled in that HMA, so no, you cannot hunt deer anywhere in that HMA if they are not listed in the HMA rules.

Take for example the Duncan Ranch HMA. It is made up of about 90-95% state land nearly all of which is easily accessible by public roads (Box Elder Canyon Rd and Mormon Canyon Rd). Because that state land is enrolled in the HMA, you need that specific permission slip to hunt the state land. I was up there this year opening day of rifle elk this year and the Game Warden was there checking to make sure everyone had permission slips.

Looking at the ranch rules for that HMA, no you cannot deer hunt the private lands. As for the BLM, it basically follows the normal rules of access. If a public road cuts through it, you can hunt it. If it's a 2 track that cuts through private, you cannot travel that 2 track.

This is correct, if you can legally access the BLM, you can hunt it regardless of an HMA with enrolled private and state land.

I'd call to verify, but I don't believe this is correct. The HMA rules apply to all lands enrolled in that HMA, so no, you cannot hunt deer anywhere in that HMA if they are not listed in the HMA rules.

Take for example the Duncan Ranch HMA. It is made up of about 90-95% state land nearly all of which is easily accessible by public roads (Box Elder Canyon Rd and Mormon Canyon Rd). Because that state land is enrolled in the HMA, you need that specific permission slip to hunt the state land. I was up there this year opening day of rifle elk this year and the Game Warden was there checking to make sure everyone had permission slips.

While the Duncan falls under special rules in an agreement with the State Land Office and the G&F, none of that pertains to BLM lands that can be legally accessed.

Also, I do believe there is a Walk-in area in 89 that allows deer hunting.

Thanks for the clarification JM77. It would be a lot easier if the G&F would publish these HMA rules with regards to state/BLM access. You would think if you could hunt deer on the vast majority of that HMA (ie. on BLM), then it would be listed in the HMA rules and be available on the Deer Hunting allowed drop down on the HMA info page. I think all they would need to do is put a statement that there is no deer hunting allowed on private ground - but I'm certainly no lawyer.

I would be cautious about any blanket statements with regard to when and where you need permission in regard hunt to HMA's. IMO, it would be in your best interest to get in touch with the G&F ask specifically about the HMA.

I got a answer back from game and fish and yes,you can hunt the blm and state lands if accessable from a public rd but you cant cut thru private to get at some if you don't obtain a permission slip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back